Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2021, 07:18 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #6457
Sorry you are being misinformed.

Old 08-25-2021, 07:39 PM   #22
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT1183 View Post
Sorry you are being misinformed.
Who is being misinformed about what?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:04 PM   #23

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Put a saf t plus on my F-53 chassis based Hurricane. The chassis has no damper from the factory. The damper had zero affect on handling or ride but it is marketed as a safety device to assist during front tire blowouts.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:12 PM   #24

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty1020 View Post
Has anyone had this stabilizer installed on your MH. Of course, All dealers will say they are wonderful even if they are not.

Any feedback ??
I put one on just for the heck of it, I figured it couldn't hurt and Ford steering can use as much help as it can get. I have the F53 chassis that alone is so much better than the 450 chassis we had before. It was a cheap install that took about a half hour. I had one nut on the chassis that my two small impacts couldn't remove so I had to remove it with a breaker bar
Old 08-25-2021, 09:37 PM   #25
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by sip View Post
I installed a safe-t-plus on our 2016 (E450) Vegas 24.1 ... I guess that's kinda technically a class A ... honestly, I didn't notice much of a difference. Normal road driving was fine before and is still fine now. As soon as there is any sort of breeze or wind, I still go through tons of underware
I had a steering stabilizer put on our Class C and air bags. After I could drive it with one finger. Before doing this, I got pushed by trucks out of my lane and wind pushed me around as well. Good heavy duty sway bars and better shocks will also help. Safe-t-plus is just one part depending on what the manufacture did to the chassis when building the rig. Do one change at a time. Drive it and see how it changes the handling. My class C was a big tail dragger. The air bags fixed this along with a front end alignment after. I got the steering stabilizer after because it still felt a bit pushed when a real big truck passed.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:10 PM   #26

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
I had a steering stabilizer put on our Class C and air bags. After I could drive it with one finger. Before doing this, I got pushed by trucks out of my lane and wind pushed me around as well. Good heavy duty sway bars and better shocks will also help. Safe-t-plus is just one part depending on what the manufacture did to the chassis when building the rig. Do one change at a time. Drive it and see how it changes the handling. My class C was a big tail dragger. The air bags fixed this along with a front end alignment after. I got the steering stabilizer after because it still felt a bit pushed when a real big truck passed.
That's why I got rid of mine, I wasn't going to spend thousands to fix a new motorhome
Old 08-25-2021, 10:11 PM   #27

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Alabama
THOR #20803
I got an alignment at 10,000 miles, didn’t alter jack complete waste of $$$$.
Toad-undecided
Thor 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:25 PM   #28

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor 25 View Post
When I bought the 450 it drove so poorly that I got an alignment right away, it did nothing.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:51 PM   #29
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
When I bought the 450 it drove so poorly that I got an alignment right away, it did nothing.
A coach MAY have driving problems due to being out of alignment. An alignment is not an automatic cure-all for driving problems caused by other issues. By having your coach aligned you have eliminated that as a possible cause for your driving/handling problems and likely prevented abnormal tire wear.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:32 PM   #30
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
That's why I got rid of mine, I wasn't going to spend thousands to fix a new motorhome
If you do some of the work yourself, pending less then 2-3k isn't too bad. Dumping a new RV will cost you a heck of a lot more.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:06 AM   #31

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
If you do some of the work yourself, pending less then 2-3k isn't too bad. Dumping a new RV will cost you a heck of a lot more.
I can do everything myself but I won't fix Ford's mistakes. It's too bad there isn't more competition and they would need to update their chassis more than once every 22 years and I think the f53 started around 1989
Old 08-26-2021, 12:23 AM   #32

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Alberta
THOR #10677
Definitely an option to consider, I installed a Roadmaster steering stabilizer on our Miramar 35.2 last season and it made a noticeable difference, the steering felt solid and not wandering.
This season I installed anti sway bars on the rear and what a difference, the steering stabilizer combination with the anti sway bars the motorhome drives so nice and I feel in total control of the motorhome, not like “herding” down the road.
It is a little pricey but we’ll worth it.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:30 AM   #33

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
I can do everything myself but I won't fix Ford's mistakes. It's too bad there isn't more competition and they would need to update their chassis more than once every 22 years and I think the f53 started around 1989

Both chassis’s ARE decades old and neither was especially designed for comfort or handling. They are commercial/work trucks and they what they are. Personally, I find the truck like nature of my class A to be rather charming. I just make allowance for it by driving slower - as it was designed to be driven.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:02 AM   #34

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Both chassis’s ARE decades old and neither was especially designed for comfort or handling. They are commercial/work trucks and they what they are. Personally, I find the truck like nature of my class A to be rather charming. I just make allowance for it by driving slower - as it was designed to be driven.
The class A is much better than the 450, it's not even close. The f53 chassis is smoother riding, better handling, not affected near as much by cross winds, not affected by trucks pass and has a shorter turning diameter. If only the steering wheel was connected with rack and pinion steering and not rope wrapped around the column and the other two ends going to the wheels. I love turning the steering wheel and seconds later it starts to turn and then anticipate ing the right time to turn it the other way. The 450 chassis is worse than the f53 but there is a lot of slop in both, it reminds me of driving a friend's new 1975 Ford econoline van I asked him if something was wrong with the steering because it was all over the road. He said that's how Ford's steer
Old 08-26-2021, 01:46 AM   #35

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgarnat@aol.com View Post
Yes. It’s just about a must on a large class A. Bolt on easy to install. I would also get an alignment. You will notice a big difference.
I have a class A Thor Tuscany and I don't have an add on steering stabilizer because it has never been needed. This rig drives and handles like a dream.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:55 AM   #36

Model: Axis 25.6
State: Texas
THOR #19026
The factory unit is a joke.
Old 08-26-2021, 05:55 AM   #37
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edki45 View Post
The factory unit is a joke.
The "factory unit", if provided, is not a steering stabilizer.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:32 AM   #38

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Quote:
Quote:

Did either of you ask specifically for 5 deg of caster to be put in the alignment? If not, they just adjusted toe.

Post before and after alignment sheets.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:34 AM   #39

THOR #24089
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
My 2022 Vegas 24.1 came with a factory steering stabilizer. Are folks replacing the factory unit?
The Axis also has factory shocks that are WAY overpowered by the weight of our rigs. BOTH of the front shocks were shot on mine, and that was after driving it home from the dealer w/only 1200 or so miles on it.

The U.S. government needs to make these "RUVs" safer before allowing these on the road. The fact that BOTH front shocks were overloaded from THOR's design should tell us all something...

Here's a pic of the old (new) shocks. 1 had zero rebound pressure, the other wasn't far behind... This proves without a doubt that these are overloaded and unsafe.

The shocks in my 2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel still look and function as new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181116_150509.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	33086  
Like everyone else who was conned into buying one, which require these mods to be road-safe. Hellwig anti-sway bar(s) (huge difference), Bilstein shocks (biggest difference maker), +5 Caster alignment, rear air bags, Sumo Springs front & back (also huge), steering stabilizer and on and on...
Axis25.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:35 AM   #40

THOR #24089
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Did either of you ask specifically for 5 deg of caster to be put in the alignment? If not, they just adjusted toe.

Post before and after alignment sheets.
Exactly... The +5 caster adjustment is paramount.
Like everyone else who was conned into buying one, which require these mods to be road-safe. Hellwig anti-sway bar(s) (huge difference), Bilstein shocks (biggest difference maker), +5 Caster alignment, rear air bags, Sumo Springs front & back (also huge), steering stabilizer and on and on...
Axis25.2 is offline   Reply With Quote