Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2018, 05:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: compass 23tw
State: California
THOR #7466
Death Valley/Monument Valley

Hello to everyone,

After first of year thinking of go to Death Valley or Monument Valley,Az or Utah Don"t know Witch is best. So am I crazy?

2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:14 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Sorry, haven't been to either. Try checking Tripadvisor and some Youtube videos to help make your decision. I've heard that Monument Valley is outstanding, have also heard that the best thing about Death Valley is having it in your rear view mirror! Your results may vary.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:42 AM   #3

THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Sorry, haven't been to either. Try checking Tripadvisor and some Youtube videos to help make your decision. I've heard that Monument Valley is outstanding, have also heard that the best thing about Death Valley is having it in your rear view mirror! Your results may vary.

Thank You Mr S,good info & also looking for the been there done that.travelers
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
Old 11-15-2018, 07:07 AM   #4

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari View Post
Hello to everyone,

After first of year thinking of go to Death Valley or Monument Valley,Az or Utah Don"t know Witch is best. So am I crazy?

Winter is the BEST time for Death Valley and is very popular. Check now for reservations and read as much as you can to plan your adventure. Rain (flash flood) or predicted wind (think sand storm) could be a deal killer. Take your toad for excursions, there is a lot to see. Four days might enough time. It's phenomenal. When there's sufficient winter rain, the wildflower bloom in March is unbelievable!
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:11 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13098
We did Monument Valley several years ago. We stayed at the View Hotel, pricey but worth it for the sunrise. They now have "The View Campground" for dry camping. The valley tours are a must.....we paid a little extra and had a full blooded Navajo for a guide.....just the wife and I in his jeep. He took us places that normal tours do not go.....saw indian petroglyphs..... explored caves....our guide did some native chanting...felt like you were in the wild west...saw alot of the sights used in John Ford movies....a great experience. If it is still there, the best chorizo is at the Amigo Cafe in Kayenta! Attached some pics of sites and views from our room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01987.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	14062   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02037.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	14063  

Name:	DSC02044.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	14064   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01954.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	14065  

Old 11-15-2018, 04:08 PM   #6

THOR #6582
Death Valley

Looking back at the map, Furnace Creek Campground is centrally located for a base to explore from. Be prepared for lots of driving, it's a large park. You've piqued my interest, I want to back.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:41 AM   #7

THOR #6582
Death Valley

There was a major flood in 2015, Scotty's Castle (in the north) is closed and the road to it. Other roads are under repair but it appears that's nearing completion. The park HQ is 142 miles from Las Vegas, NV.

Some significant links:
DVNP Park Newsletter https://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/news/...mmer508YES.pdf

Weather, current: https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/vef/rec/index.php?loc=DV

Camping info: https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/camping.htm
Old 11-16-2018, 02:42 PM   #8

THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
There was a major flood in 2015, Scotty's Castle (in the north) is closed and the road to it. Other roads are under repair but it appears that's nearing completion. The park HQ is 142 miles from Las Vegas, NV.

Some significant links:
DVNP Park Newsletter https://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/news/...mmer508YES.pdf

Weather, current: https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/vef/rec/index.php?loc=DV

Camping info: https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/camping.htm

Wow 142 miles from Vegas,Thank for all the info. Looks like Feb or March might be a good time to go
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
Old 11-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #9

THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustoner View Post
We did Monument Valley several years ago. We stayed at the View Hotel, pricey but worth it for the sunrise. They now have "The View Campground" for dry camping. The valley tours are a must.....we paid a little extra and had a full blooded Navajo for a guide.....just the wife and I in his jeep. He took us places that normal tours do not go.....saw indian petroglyphs..... explored caves....our guide did some native chanting...felt like you were in the wild west...saw alot of the sights used in John Ford movies....a great experience. If it is still there, the best chorizo is at the Amigo Cafe in Kayenta! Attached some pics of sites and views from our room.

Very nice pictures & reading thank you
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
Old 11-16-2018, 10:05 PM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
My son and I wanted to do the death valley a couple summers ago when we drove out to the canyon...it was just too far and too hot. I would have only done it as a day trip in the summer I think and not likely in the RV.

We did drive through monument valley on the way back East. Glad we did it but honestly not much to it. Would be better probably to stay in the area and if you could get permits to do some hiking and exploring. Still I did the forest gump run. I prob wouldn't go out of my way to do it again though. It was a lot of miles of nowhere to get there....ditto the four corners monument.

Timing didn't work out, but I had in mind to stay near Monument valley at Goosenecks State Park. I regret not making that work.

also in that area, we stayed near Page AZ on the lake. beautiful area, fun slot canyon hike
Old 11-16-2018, 11:52 PM   #11

THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
My son and I wanted to do the death valley a couple summers ago when we drove out to the canyon...it was just too far and too hot. I would have only done it as a day trip in the summer I think and not likely in the RV.

We did drive through monument valley on the way back East. Glad we did it but honestly not much to it. Would be better probably to stay in the area and if you could get permits to do some hiking and exploring. Still I did the forest gump run. I prob wouldn't go out of my way to do it again though. It was a lot of miles of nowhere to get there....ditto the four corners monument.

Timing didn't work out, but I had in mind to stay near Monument valley at Goosenecks State Park. I regret not making that work.

also in that area, we stayed near Page AZ on the lake. beautiful area, fun slot canyon hike

I"am thinking the same thing.Thanks
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
Old 11-24-2018, 07:59 PM   #12

State: North Carolina
THOR #12708
We spent 2 weeks in Utah back in july. Stayed at a campground in Hatch Utah. Class A jeep in tow. We were 1 hr. From Zion,Bryce,Grand canyon. Stop at monument valley on way home. Outstanding trip. That time a year hit trails early monsoon starts 2pm. Enjoy
Old 11-24-2018, 08:10 PM   #13

State: North Carolina
THOR #12708
Campground was Riverside ranch Hatch Utah. Caught trout in the river. Look up website. Also stayed at Gouldings campground monument valley. We live in Charlotte NC.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:18 PM   #14

THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojet View Post
Campground was Riverside ranch Hatch Utah. Caught trout in the river. Look up website. Also stayed at Gouldings campground monument valley. We live in Charlotte NC.

Thank You for the tip & update.
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
Old 11-24-2018, 11:42 PM   #15

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Mounment Valley

Having grown up watching all of John Wayne's films I wanted to see Monument Valley my whole life. This summer we RV'd to it pulling a 4 wheel drive Polaris RZR 900-4. Went through the Valley twice over 2 days. Drove myself, stopped where and when I wanted to. Took all the time I wanted to. Took tons of pictures. To me my best trip was riding through in the early morning alone while the wife slept in. It was very special to me and I feel the most important trip I ever took. If you go I recommend you tow something you can drive through the valley yourself. You don't want to drive your RV in the valley it's way too rough. Pay the $20 the Navajo Tribe charges to access their lands and drive all through it for 2 days. We camped at Goulding's Campground right on the edge of the valley. It was very nice, clean and had the store-showers-food everyone wants when camping. They told me that Winter was much less crowded. Good luck, safe travels and enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3270.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	14280   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3777.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	14282  

Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 01:14 AM   #16

THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Having grown up watching all of John Wayne's films I wanted to see Monument Valley my whole life. This summer we RV'd to it pulling a 4 wheel drive Polaris RZR 900-4. Went through the Valley twice over 2 days. Drove myself, stopped where and when I wanted to. Took all the time I wanted to. Took tons of pictures. To me my best trip was riding through in the early morning alone while the wife slept in. It was very special to me and I feel the most important trip I ever took. If you go I recommend you tow something you can drive through the valley yourself. You don't want to drive your RV in the valley it's way too rough. Pay the $20 the Navajo Tribe charges to access their lands and drive all through it for 2 days. We camped at Goulding's Campground right on the edge of the valley. It was very nice, clean and had the store-showers-food everyone wants when camping. They told me that Winter was much less crowded. Good luck, safe travels and enjoy!

Yes right on, John Wayne was one of the best,Thank You
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
Old 11-25-2018, 01:09 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Massachusetts
THOR #7179
Went to Monument Valley in 2015. Stayed at Gouldings Monument Valley CG. Nice CG and you can arrange tours of Monument Valley at the CG. Private vehicles are not allowed in certain parts as this is part of an Indian reservation. If you are a fan of the movie " The Searchers" then this tour is a must!
Old 11-25-2018, 01:23 PM   #18

Model: Quantum
State: Alabama
THOR #13457
I have wanted to go there my whole life. One day I will, and will more than likely stay out there in that part of the country.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:36 PM   #19

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I sorta wish we'd have taken the effort and time to get off the road and into the valley proper. As it was we did what probably 98.5% of tourists do.... pass through on US 163 for a look see.
We didn't have a towed car and time was tight for us sadly.... had to choose our highlights on out trip
Old 11-25-2018, 05:49 PM   #20

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
A few pictures to share

Thought you guys might like seeing a few pictures from Monument Valley July 2018
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3601.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	14299   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3612.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	14300  

Name:	IMG_3619.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	14301   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3762.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	14302  

Name:	IMG_3737.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	14303   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3761.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	14304  

Name:	IMG_3767.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	14305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3770.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	14306  

Name:	IMG_3774.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	14307  
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote