Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2017, 01:48 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Carolina
THOR #7880
Steps on Challenger

The steps on my 2013 Challenger won't come down. Any ideas?

Old 06-15-2017, 04:15 AM   #2

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
We have a 2017 Challenger (purchased thus past March), that had the same problem. Took it into Camping World a few weeks ago for warranty repair. They diagnosed it as a bad controller box. The part just arrived at Camping World and we take the Challenger back in next week to have it installed. We're leaving on a month long trip in a couple of weeks, so I hope this fixes the problem.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:07 PM   #3

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
While changing oil this week I had the time and opportunity to inspect underneath my steps. I found some dangling wires that were not secured or protected very well and it is now on my to-do list to get back under there and tighten things up.

If you haven't been under your steps you may want to slip under there and check it out. Maybe you will get lucky and find a damaged wire or something unplugged.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #4

THOR #7880
I'm hearing a lot about controllers lately.....steps, levelers, slideouts. Did they happen to say where the controller for the steps is? I'd be sure to have them save the old controller for you. I'd hate to think they only replaced a fuse. I don't hear very positive remarks about Camping World.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:31 PM   #5

THOR #7880
Were the steps down when you noticed the wires? With the steps up, I don't think the wires are visible. I'll check the wires. Thanks.
I assume you have the Ford V-10. How many quarts of oil?
Old 06-16-2017, 10:35 PM   #6

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
My steps were out. I am still a little uneasy with how some of the wires were secured.

My V-10 took 7 quarts. Certainly was an easypeasy oil change.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:00 PM   #7

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Thor Steps Operation

Parked for three months in FL and when getting ready to go steps came in and would not go back out right away, tap switch, wiggle wires etc. steps would finally come out. Same problem during the day off and on. Finally parked for the night and had time to figure it out. Wire was pinched by metal trim and eventually (due to vibrations from door opening and closing) it worked it's way thru insulation and wire. Short equal extend step and open equal retract step. Got lucky and found a burglar alarm switch in the basement that would work and now just waiting for silicon to cure. Wires to switch were easy to find, just lay on back and look up underneath near bottom rear corner of door. Just remember the new switch must OPEN when magnet is next to switch. Cheap, small, lightweight spare part. If you need more help - PM me.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:05 AM   #8

Model: Aria 3901
THOR #6952
Thor step operations

I experienced the same but also different issue with the steps. Our steps continually extended while driviing. I adjusted the magnet connection (phillips screw driver) before driving and adjusted it back when at the campsite so the steps will open. As I am still under warrenty, the dealer moved my door handle which has fixed problem.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #9

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTig View Post
We have a 2017 Challenger (purchased thus past March), that had the same problem. Took it into Camping World a few weeks ago for warranty repair. They diagnosed it as a bad controller box. The part just arrived at Camping World and we take the Challenger back in next week to have it installed. We're leaving on a month long trip in a couple of weeks, so I hope this fixes the problem.

We took the Challenger in to have the new controller installed. Turns out the stair motor was also bad. Luckily, Camping World had one in stock. Works fine now. The job was covered under warranty.