Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2019, 05:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 35SK
State: Arizona
THOR #14346
Stowed Leveling Jack Height?

Hello everyone. Just made an addition to our "get out of the house list". Bought a 2016 Four Winds 35SK. Although new to the RV world (we boondocked a one night shakedown at Alamo Lake), we are sailboat owners for 15 or so years, so we are used to 12V, limited water supply, "it never breaks in the slip", fun living, enjoy life world.

I am working my way through the systems and getting familiar. My first question for the experienced is, it seems like my forward jacks stow very low. It appears the housing is adjustable. They are only about 7 inches above the road. Any thoughts on that. I included some pictures. Looking forward to this forum. I have lots of questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	15677   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	15678  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	15679  

Old 02-14-2019, 06:47 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Common issue with these models. There was a thread last year on this on irv2. The mounting bracket for the jacks can actually go up a few inches but one corner of it is blocked by frame at the top. He cut one corner from the top of the jack mounting bracket, slid it up and re-bolted in the lower holes of the bracket. Mine hasn't been an issue so far...just have to be aware they are there and keep watchful eyes. I will probably explore his fix soon. I also have a "truck stuff" shop near me that did the lift on my 2500HD. He said there is an adjustable from the cab, air bag kit he can install on front and back that will allow me a 3" rise for temporary situations off road.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:23 PM   #3

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS Cruisign View Post
My first question for the experienced is, it seems like my forward jacks stow very low. It appears the housing is adjustable. They are only about 7 inches above the road. Any thoughts on that.
as stated above...it's very common on E350/450 chassis

if you can adjust upwards, that will help.

my HWH straight leg jacks are about the same, maybe 7-3/4" in front, 8" in rear.

just be aware when entering/exiting driveways or culverts.

i generally try to go at an angle as a precaution (vs going straight-on).

only once did i hear a small scrape, and that's when i entered a driveway with a huge culvert straight-on.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:08 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
When I installed the Big Foot Levelers on my Axis (E450 chassis) they recomended 7 inches from the ground for the retracted position that way you get 6 inches of lift (13 inch long shaft on my jacks). But some folks will raise up to the next notch if they find they are draging them.

I put mine at 7 inches and so far they have not dragged. I put the back at 8.5 inches (I thought they would be 8 when I installed them) because they are so far back (behind the axle) and I was afraid they would drag when you have dips in the road for entrance ways etc.

So far so good BUT I might try to lower the back one notch later on if im not having any problems.

I would day 7 is normal for most C class (in the front)
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:28 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
been thinking about raising mine an inch or two. I believe mine are at 6 inches after adding the snap pads. Something to look at doing during the summer. Havent had any problems where they are at but they look low

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:35 PM   #6

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
I believe the mounting holes are 1" apart.
Our '16 Outlaw, on E-450 chassis, I had room on the rear levelers mountings to raise them.
The fronts, which I also wanted to raise, the top of the cylinder had the coach's floor in the way, so they were already as high as could be.

I also read where someone had to cut away the mounting tabs to clear framework to mount them higher.

You are going to have to crawl under there and have a look see if yours can, or cannot be done easily.
Good luck.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:26 PM   #7

Model: FourWinds SK 35
State: Virginia
THOR #4706
I have a 2017 fourwinds 35sk my levelers are the same never had any problems during travel. I think if you raise them you want to carry extra blocks you could over extend them I have done that it’s not fun.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:37 PM   #8

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas M View Post
I have a 2017 fourwinds 35sk my levelers are the same never had any problems during travel. I think if you raise them you want to carry extra blocks you could over extend them I have done that it’s not fun.
Thomas M...you are so correct
The levelers are safest/sturdiest when extended no further than a 2/3 position
When it's necessary to extend beyond that 2/3 point, it's always best to place blocks under the leveler feet to add height

And remember, common sense says...
the emergency brake only works on the rear wheels
so if the rear wheels must be raised off the ground to become level, make sure that you securely block the front tires to keep coach from moving.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:33 AM   #9

Model: Four Winds 35SK
State: Arizona
THOR #14346
Thanks for all of the input. We did some testing the other day back country. Interesting thing is, you will trash the generator pipe most likely if you drag the jacks.

Food for thought. Oh and great point about making sure the mains are grounded so she doesnt slide if you get them off the ground.

Cheers
Rick and Pam
Old 02-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #10

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
If the rear wheels need to be raised off the ground to get level...keep moving!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote