Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2020, 03:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.4
State: New Mexico
THOR #3722
Palazzo 33.4 bedroom slide/help

I’ve a 2016 33.4 Palazzo that the bedroom slide is acting a bit balky, running in or out it sometimes just stops, does not appear to jam or anything just stops. After a few moments I can usually get it to finish the run in or out, I will lean on on it and that seems to help, afraid one day it will stick half in or out.

Went looking for the slide controller to see if there were any error codes blinking but cannot find it.

Any ideas on were the engineers hide the controller? As it happens I’ve a spare controller and will change it out once I find it. Hopefully it’s not a dead spot on one of the motors but will change those if necessary, we will be putting this rig on the market in April and don’t want to pass on any known problems to anyone.

Thanks for any help/ideas!!

Jeff

Old 02-19-2020, 03:43 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Does one side stop before the other? Have you tried the resynch procedure? Do you always hold the EXTEND/RETRACT button for 5 seconds after the slide has fully extended/retracted?

If the answer to all these questions is "YES" than you probably have a motor with dirty/worn brushes and/or commutator (unfortunately a common problem) which will require replacement, hopefully before it quits completely as it's much easier to replace with the slide in a partially extended position.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:58 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursusb View Post
I’ve a 2016 33.4 Palazzo that the bedroom slide is acting a bit balky, running in or out it sometimes just stops, does not appear to jam or anything just stops. After a few moments I can usually get it to finish the run in or out, I will lean on on it and that seems to help, afraid one day it will stick half in or out.

Went looking for the slide controller to see if there were any error codes blinking but cannot find it.

Any ideas on were the engineers hide the controller? As it happens I’ve a spare controller and will change it out once I find it. Hopefully it’s not a dead spot on one of the motors but will change those if necessary, we will be putting this rig on the market in April and don’t want to pass on any known problems to anyone.

Thanks for any help/ideas!!

Jeff
Plant 750 puts the bedroom slide controller under the bed. Not a clue where plant 850 might put the controller but I would look under the bed or in the outside storage compartment under the slide high on the wall. It will always be within 12 feet of the slide's motors.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:03 PM   #4

THOR #3722
The slide just stops, both sides, dead silence the slide switch has no effect for a minute or two then starts working again. Leads me to believe the controller senses something but what that something is I’ve no idea, until I can find that controller and any codes it’s flashing I’m stuck for troubleshooting.

Resync, hold for 3-5 seconds on extension/retraction yes. Seems to work fine for several cycles after resync but always back to the problem.

Since I’ve a spare controller I thought starting with replacing it after reading any codes would be a good place to start before throwing expensive motors at it, but ‘WHERE’ is it... grumble grumble...

Jeff
Old 02-19-2020, 04:08 PM   #5

THOR #3722
Not visible under bed or any outside compartments like the forward slides, starting to think it’s behind a panel around the bed, none of them look to be screwed on, just stapled. Sigh....

Jeff
Old 02-19-2020, 08:42 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
more than likely it's in the storage compartment below the slide, ON THE CEILING, or high on the wall
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:51 PM   #7

THOR #3722
Sadly the compartment directly below the slide is a welded steel box next to the engine, only thing in it is my tools, the next compartment forward is the DEF tank open to the outside, no compartment aft of the slide. I did however look into both to double check, no joy.

Tomorrow I’m going to try and trace cables, open the back etc, I’ve got one of those cameras on a flex shaft and will see if I can trace cables before I start pulling stapled walls loose, everything around that slide is very tight on the inside and behind seals on the outside with no visibility behind them..

You would think that controller would be accessible but so far no luck.

Jeff
Old 02-24-2020, 09:29 PM   #8

THOR #3722
Finally Success!!!

Tracked down the rear bedroom slide controller, it was on the opposite side from the slide in the inverter compartment on the ceiling towards the rear.... I’d looked before but not at the ceiling. This compartment is open to non filtered air. (Temp controlled vent/fan) and is always dusty, never thought it would be that far away from the slide and in a vented compartment.

The led indicators showed 1 blink green (motor 1)
9 blinks red, (hall shorted to ground)

Because I happened to have a spare controller I arbitrarily replaced it and tested the slide..... hallelujah!, It worked consistently for 6 in/out cycles after a resync..

The inside of the original controller was somewhat dusty but no indication of debris or previous dampness.. We are off for a month to Texas come Sunday so that will be the definitive test!!!

Wish us luck!

Jeff & Nadine
Old 02-24-2020, 09:47 PM   #9

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
mine is in the Inverter/Fuse bay, on the passenger side, right under our bedroom slide, but our slide may be on a different side than yours. Our driver side at the bedroom is nothing but the Water Heater and DEF bay.
When these controllers are mounted on the ceiling, for whatever reason, it's very difficult for us owners to correctly read them, get to them, manage them, etc., but, it is what it is, unless I want to go to the trouble of mounting them in a more manageable way. : / Oh well.

I'll say that no matter 'what' codes these controllers tend to throw, it seems to always come back to needing a 'new' motor, whether due to the motor going bad, itself, or the very tiny thin wiring and circuit board built into it, and connected to the slide harness. That connection seems very fragile, at a minimum.
We've replaced all of our slide motors, at one time or the other, mostly myself, and once at a Camping World, early on.
I've even seen my controllers throw these blinking codes, when the slides are all working just perfectly, with no issues. Go figure.

Most of us owners will admit that we've found out one main point with these 'electric track motor' slides, by Schwintec: hold the Extract/Retract button past the point when the slide is fully extracted or retracted, for several seconds, to allow the motors to 'sync'(wrrrr, wizzzzzsss) with each other, which is it's design.
It's not spelled out necessarily, or clearly, within any instructions, but this action allows each motor to reset itself, at the end of the run, to be at the same 'point' as the other motor. If not, when running the slide in the opposite direction, later, one end of the slide may get to the stopping point before the other, etc. and can even lead to 'binding' of the slide within it's structure.
Even the front let-down bunk works on the same system, though on a vertical direction. If the bunk is not let down fully on both ends, running it back up properly can be problematic.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote