Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2017, 07:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Kentucky
THOR #8259
Suspension Question

Need some advice: on my ACE 30.2, should I do Roadmaster rear anti sway bar, or Sumo springs, or both? Definitely going with Safe-T-Plus stabilizer for front. What say you? Thanks!

Old 08-08-2017, 08:13 PM   #2

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
ACE 30.2 suspension

We have a 2015 ACE 30.2. Added the SafeTPlus, a Henderson Track Bar, Cheap Handling Fix, and did an alignment all within days of purchase. DH said it handled fine. Until he hit a day of sustained 35 mph winds with gusts and 4 hours driving in it. It was not pleasant!
I asked my DH if he wanted Sumo's, as he never would manually adjust the airbags I had installed on our last MH. He said sure, I had them put on front and rear. On our last camping weekend we ran into a monster storm with winds and high gusts and torrential rains, and we never left the lane. Felt the wind, but were not pushed around. So the Sumo's really helped.
Now all done with suspension upgrades. Rides as good as a house on wheels is going to get.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:49 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockChuck92 View Post
Need some advice: on my ACE 30.2, should I do Roadmaster rear anti sway bar, or Sumo springs, or both? Definitely going with Safe-T-Plus stabilizer for front. What say you? Thanks!
Have you had a front end alignment yet??? After that do the chf front and rear, then get a rear track bar. Imo its money better spent than rear sway bar

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:11 PM   #4

THOR #8259
Thanks guys (and gal!) for the reply. I've researched quite a bit, and I suppose a better question might be: do the sumos remove/replace the need for sway bars and or trac bars? Also, since I'm new to motorhome ownership, what is the cheap handling fix? Thanks so much for your help and advice!
Old 08-08-2017, 09:22 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
CHF is a free modification you can do to your swaybars front and rear to stiffen them up and reduce side to side sway and the effects of semi's. Go to YouTube and search: F53 chf, there are several videos that show what is involved. Takes about an hour and a half to do front and rear, with common tools. Makes a huge difference!!! Jerry is correct about being the most cost effective, chf is free, new swaybar is big bucks!
Old 08-08-2017, 10:02 PM   #6
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Thanks guys (and gal!) for the reply. I've researched quite a bit, and I suppose a better question might be: do the sumos remove/replace the need for sway bars and or trac bars? Also, since I'm new to motorhome ownership, what is the cheap handling fix? Thanks so much for your help and advice!
Ron installed Sumos front and rear ... they replace the bump stops which are worthless. This improved our ride a lot. May still get the Safety Plus or Roadmaster... However, we travel in strong side winds, in KS, a lot and the improvement was very noticeable.

You are on a different chassis, so the Sumo application on the rear is different from the E450 application.

The Sumo website is a good information source.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:47 PM   #7

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
When listening to advice ... keep a logical head ... Ground opinions and claims with real mechanical operation

Sumo's are bump stop replacements that help increase spring rate at the critical point where bump stop contact would have otherwise occurred. This mechanical function is quite different than how a swaybar works to transfer spring rate from one side to the other.

The CHF simply reduces the leverage length to increase torque transfer characteristics. Very cool that the F53 chassis has a bar with the extra holes from the factory, too bad they don't also supply an optimal frame mount location for corrected angles.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:03 AM   #8

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Ace 30.2

Quote:
For our motorhome the track bar keeps the rear wheels in the same line as the front wheels. The sumos help with sway, but where they really help, and what you really notice, is that the coach is not pushed by trucks on highways (even tandem trucks) and holds its lane in high winds. With such high sidewalls, our motorhome has a large "windage" surface area. When steady wind or gusts hit the coach broadside you can be pushed right out of your lane, even with CHF, track bars, SafeTPlus, and alignment. Just ask anyone who has driven across Kansas, Oklahoma, or Nebraska!!!
So sumos do something different than the track bar we installed.
I realize others may answer differently, but not all coaches behave the same way. What works great on a 27 footer, or a different chasis may not be enough for a bigger coach. So read all these responses keeping an eye on what they are driving, and decide what you want to fix/change about your coaches handling.
Good luck!!!!
Old 08-11-2017, 01:08 AM   #9

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
I see this a lot, but what is CHF?
Old 08-11-2017, 01:12 AM   #10

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
I see this a lot, but what is CHF?
Ah, figured it out, cheap handling fix. What exactly is this about and how's it done?
Old 08-12-2017, 12:31 AM   #11

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Do these steering mods and suspension mod creat insurance our warrant issues?
Old 08-12-2017, 12:56 AM   #12

THOR #8259
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
Ah, figured it out, cheap handling fix. What exactly is this about and how's it done?
Here's a decent video from YouTube about the CHF for a motor home on a F53 chassis. I pick up my ACE 30.2 in two weeks (FINALLY!!) and it'll be the first thing I do when I get her home. Hopefully this helps!

https://youtu.be/MozieIP58PY
Old 08-12-2017, 01:08 AM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
No, it makes the coach safer and has no affect on warranty.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:27 AM   #14

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #7466
sumo

Quote:
mountainsam, are u thinking of putting them on you mh

Mike
Bakersfield.ca
2017 Gemini 23TR
Old 08-12-2017, 11:24 PM   #15

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
I just completed the CHF on the front of my 30.2. It is a GIANT pita laying on your back under the coach. Here's why: the lower tie rod ends bolts attaching the sway bar are in line with the spring. Probably because I had the coach on levelers in the back yard. Had to remove the entire tie rod upper and lower but needed to loosen the sway bar brackets. Moving the sway bar up to align the other holes was the feat of 2 men and a boy even with the sway bar brackets loose. Then I could remove the lower tie rod bolt. Reassembling; Getting the upper rubber bushing with the 2 washers in to the bracket was another pita. Had to work a drift pin in to align it all to get the bolt back in. 1 hr and 30 min later I had everything tightened back. Tomorrow I'll tackle the rear sway bar.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:33 PM   #16

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnemarc View Post
I just completed the CHF on the front of my 30.2. It is a GIANT pita laying on your back under the coach. Here's why: the lower tie rod ends bolts attaching the sway bar are in line with the spring. Probably because I had the coach on levelers in the back yard. Had to remove the entire tie rod upper and lower but needed to loosen the sway bar brackets. Moving the sway bar up to align the other holes was the feat of 2 men and a boy even with the sway bar brackets loose. Then I could remove the lower tie rod bolt. Reassembling; Getting the upper rubber bushing with the 2 washers in to the bracket was another pita. Had to work a drift pin in to align it all to get the bolt back in. 1 hr and 30 min later I had everything tightened back. Tomorrow I'll tackle the rear sway bar.
If you use a small bottle jack or scissor jack the bar is much easier to align. While you're at it you should lube the swaybar poly bushings. The rear bar has had a problem with the bushing brackets being loose, be sure to check those while you're under there.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:00 AM   #17

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari View Post

Mike
Bakersfield.ca
2017 Gemini 23TR
I am thinking about it. I would like to hear from someone that has it on the Transit 350.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:26 AM   #18

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari View Post

Mike
Bakersfield.ca
2017 Gemini 23TR
Mike, after getting my old tired and worn out body down under the front far enough to see what there was there, I dont believe there is a stabilizer for it and no way to install. I have had it in some pretty windy conditions and it was ok so I will just forget this until I should hear differently.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:48 AM   #19

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
If you use a small bottle jack or scissor jack the bar is much easier to align. While you're at it you should lube the swaybar poly bushings. The rear bar has had a problem with the bushing brackets being loose, be sure to check those while you're under there.
Thanks, with any luck the rear is easier than the front. I'll be sure and put a wrench on the bracket bolts as well.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:47 AM   #20

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #7466
Quote:
Mike, after getting my old tired and worn out body down under the front far enough to see what there was there, I dont believe there is a stabilizer for it and no way to install. I have had it in some pretty windy conditions and it was ok so I will just forget this until I should hear differently.
idk,but is sounds like ours handle better than the LTV on the sprinter

mike
bakersfield,ca
2017 gemini 23tr