Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2016, 03:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: North Carolina
THOR #3325
Tag Axle Question

I am looking to switch from Gas to Diesel and would like to get some views on 'tag' or 'no tag' axle.

I talked to a person who had a tag but was towing a big trailer and he said the ride was even better than a diesel with just two axles. I do not plan on towing anything but want to switch for a quieter ride, more power and longer than my current Miramar.

Is the extra axle worth it? We drive 15,000 to 20,000 miles a year.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:08 PM   #2

Model: Palazzo
State: Texas
THOR #2072
A tag axle is useful if you plan on carrying lots of weight. In my rig I tow a car and carry what I need and still am well under weight with a 340 Cummings.

Goes up and down mountains just fine.

Hope this helps!
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 04:49 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Tag axels are not an option and are based on what the coach chassis will be required to carry. Generally speaking, 40' and under has a single rear axel and over 40' has a dual. I have seen 42' coaches with a single rear axle but that isn't common. If you buy a 45' coach you are going to get duals. Now comes the expensive part, 4 more tires and more maintenance. Bottom line, it will depend on what size coach you purchase.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:14 PM   #4

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
SuperD makes some good points. You certainly are driving enough miles to justify purchasing a diesel pusher. If I am not mistaken a "tag" axle on MH's are a non-drive axle that generally only have one tire on each side, rather than another set of duals.

The obvious advantage is of course the extra weight you could carry and tow. I am guessing another advantage would be increased stability in high cross winds. Disadvantages would be initial cost and maintenance cost. High quality air suspension may or may not be effected that much by the added 3rd axle, I have no idea.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:50 AM   #5

Model: Palazzo
State: Texas
THOR #2072
A tag axle means just what it sounds like. A tag along axle that just follows along. Some tags have heavy stability bars on them to aid in stabilizing the coach. Some tag axle have what they call passive steering. That means the wheels on the tag axle will turn in the direction of the steering wheel. Better turn radius on the coach and the tag tires will not slid on a turn and leave rubber marks on the road and wear tread down as on a regular tag axle.

Hope this helps!
Dave
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 02:04 AM   #6

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I had a gas motor home with a tax axle. The ride was very stable, similar to a longer diesel pusher and it carried the weight real well. There was no provision for steering the tag axel, so the two tires dragged on tight turns like in parking lots. I didn't drive the RV in the snow but I can imagine that traction would be reduced since some of the weight it being supported by a non-drive axel. I was warned that the tag axel can lift the drive wheel off the ground on certain terrain such as fields with dips.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:43 PM   #7

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Tags are generally added to long (over 40 feet) units to assist with the additional weight large units carry in the rear. Another advantage will be added stability on rough uneven road surfaces, and when driving in windy conditions. The disadvantages are, the additional two tires, potential alignment problems, added difficulties maneuvering in tight spaces, to name some.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:32 AM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Another minor point, you'll pay extra toll for that extra axle every time you go through the toll booth.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:40 AM   #9

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Another minor point, you'll pay extra toll for that extra axle every time you go through the toll booth.
Good point, I'd forgotten about that. The three axels on the RV and the two axels on the trailer really add up at the toll booth.