Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2015, 12:58 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Tailgater Hookup in Challenger 37TB

I also posted at IRV2, posting here to get inputs please.

First off, we absolutely love our new Challenger 37TB. During the PDI, the external cable connection in the Shore Power Compartment was identified. A question I didn't ask and wish I had - "How do I connect my Tailgater Sat setup with VIP 211Z receiver?". It probably wouldn't have changed what I believe I need to do now but at least I'd had an earlier input.

Okay so this is my understanding (taken from a Vegas thread). I need to split the signal from the cable input - easiest spot seems to be at the signal booster spot. Run one of the inputs to the VIP 211Z, then use a moduator on the component side of the 211Z and back to an A/B box and out to the booster. Very similar to my Georgetown but I didn't need to do the work myself. Bah Hum Bug.

Good news is, I believe I can do the mod. More good news - we really like the Challenger. First bad news, I gotta do the mod for something that IMO should have come that way. Not a huge cost (I've got all the parts from the Georgetown). Second bad news, I called Thor Customer Service. Asked the rep for the info,he finally found it. Said I'd have to take the panel off - etc. Then when I said "wow, that doesn't make much sense", the rep said "lots of stuff here doesn't make sense". HUH. These folks are the face of Thor for us folks that buy spend well over $100,000 for our home or second home on wheels. NOT GOOD.

Anyways, can someone confirm my approach to the satellite install?

Thanks.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:17 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
I think you're on the right track. I have the Tailgater also and followed Happily Retired's post so I could get campground cable when provided along with the satellite and over the air broadcasting. There are several post on here regarding satellite hookup.

Here's one:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...egas-1157.html
Old 04-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #3

THOR #1020
Thanks Larry

Did this yesterday. Still don't understand the approach to satellite hook ups but very doable.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:47 PM   #4

THOR #1123
Can't understand why these connections for satellite hookup aren't made at the Thor factory other than a few cents cost on their part. They do say the units are "satellite ready" but their interpretation is different from ours.

Thanks for your service bigben. AF vet here.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #5

THOR #1020
A great deal of us vets in these houses on wheels. Meet them all the time. Always a warm meeting. Happy Travels Zoomie.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:02 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
A great deal of us vets in these houses on wheels. Meet them all the time. Always a warm meeting. Happy Travels Zoomie.
Totally agree. I am a member of two FMCA chapters and there are at least three retired military members (and a number of non retired veterans) from various branches of service, in each chapter.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:25 PM   #7

THOR #1123
Quote:
Old 04-24-2015, 01:51 AM   #8

THOR #1020
Lots of Vets in Challengers

Either we are gullible or we know a great deal when we see it.

We lucked into getting ours when our Georgetown was damaged. Until this year a 38' gasser with bunkbeds wasn't available. When we saw the 37TB, love at first sight.

Out on a 1200 mile shakedown. Layovers at Ft Rucker, Ft Benning and Dobbins AFB. OOAH!!

Anyhow - hats off, head bowed to all that serve or have. Brothers and sister all.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #9
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Either we are gullible or we know a great deal when we see it.

We lucked into getting ours when our Georgetown was damaged. Until this year a 38' gasser with bunkbeds wasn't available. When we saw the 37TB, love at first sight.

Out on a 1200 mile shakedown. Layovers at Ft Rucker, Ft Benning and Dobbins AFB. OOAH!!

Anyhow - hats off, head bowed to all that serve or have. Brothers and sister all.
I do not we are all that gullible, so knowing a great deal has to be the answer. I lived in military quarters at Fort Drum that were smaller than the interior of the Challenger. And to top it off I didn't need a doctor's statement of medical necessity to get air conditioning in the Challenger.

Are you using FamCamps for the layovers? Also, have you looked into S.M.A.R.T (Special Military Active and Retired Travel Club)? Membership seems a little pricey but I might give them a one year trial. I do believe their mission statement hits it on the head with "Seeing the country we defend".

My next trips are an FMCA Chapter Rally (we are co-hosting) in NC in a couple of weeks and then another FMCA Chapter Rally that coincides with the Smoke on the Mountain BBQ in Galax, VA in July. I hope to do the round the New England horn for 2 or 3 weeks in the fall.

Safe travels and may you have an uneventful shakedown cruise.

May God bless all who are defending, or have defended this great nation. Freedom is not free.
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-24-2015, 11:26 AM   #10

THOR #1020
We absolutely use FamCamps a LOT. We've traveled a great deal since retirement. Initially with a huge SUV and in the last year with an RV. In the 4 years prior to our RV crossover, we logged about 350,000 miles including 2 driving trips to Alaska. We traveled from sea to shining sear more times than we can count and in a great many of these we've used the retirement benefit of using BOQs. A year ago it was an easy jump to the FamCamps.

We use the US Military Campground site (U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - Home). Run by a retiree with input from all of the users relative to reviews and finds.

Looked into S.M.A.R.T. but was a little put off by the membership dues. Not the dues amount but the dues in principle. The other site is free - we donate just to keep it running but it is never required.

We'll need to look into the FMCA - haven't done that yet.

PS: We absolutely love our Challenger!
Old 04-24-2015, 01:22 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
We absolutely use FamCamps a LOT. We've traveled a great deal since retirement. Initially with a huge SUV and in the last year with an RV. In the 4 years prior to our RV crossover, we logged about 350,000 miles including 2 driving trips to Alaska. We traveled from sea to shining sear more times than we can count and in a great many of these we've used the retirement benefit of using BOQs. A year ago it was an easy jump to the FamCamps.

We use the US Military Campground site (U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - Home). Run by a retiree with input from all of the users relative to reviews and finds.

Looked into S.M.A.R.T. but was a little put off by the membership dues. Not the dues amount but the dues in principle. The other site is free - we donate just to keep it running but it is never required.

We'll need to look into the FMCA - haven't done that yet.

PS: We absolutely love our Challenger!
Unfortunately the location I used quite often, Cape Henry (Fort Story) closed everything except the campground so the beach front lodging is no longer available.

I was looking at the Military Campground site this morning and starting to plan a New England trip this fall. I made a donation to them when I created my account last year.

As for FMCA, I found that the FMCA discount on a set of Michelin RV tires will pay FMCA the membership fee for approximately 10 years, thereby the discount received on car tires is money in the pocket. Their current magazine has an article on awnings and after reading it a call to Carefree is on my to do list. I want to find out the level of difficulty/effort of installing the optional wind sensor on the Travel'r awning Thor installed on the Challengers. Although the wind sensor won't keep an awning from deploying at 55 MPH on Interstate 95 (yes, that happened to me last July on my prior coach) it would be nice during sudden wind squalls that can occur.

Safe and Happy travels.
FMCA - F432054