Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2021, 03:21 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #24505
Generator kicks on while in storage

I just got a call from the owner of the storage barn where I'm storing our 2016 Vegas 24.1 stating the generator periodically comes on for app. 15 minutes and then shuts off. It's stored under a ten roof and not enclosed so there's not a problem with fumes. When I stored it app. 2 weeks ago, I turned everything off inside the coach and set the store/use switch to store and double checked that lights wouldn't come on. I don't understand why the generator comes on. Any help would be appreciated!!

Old 09-20-2021, 03:23 AM   #2

Model: 33.1
State: Alabama
THOR #21442
Do you have a auto generator start in your coach? If you do sounds like it's set to on and is starting when your battery voltage is low.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:12 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafoot2 View Post
Do you have a auto generator start in your coach? If you do sounds like it's set to on and is starting when your battery voltage is low.

You would think that if it is wired where if RV is in STORE mode, there would be no power to his AGS; and thus it would NOT Auto Start from AGS. At least that is the way I wired mine (Aftermarket SOB). When I turn off the House Batteries (STORE mode for some) My AGS screen loses power.

If I did have power to it, it still has a safety interlock where you have to turn an ignition key to confirm you wish to leave it in AUTO Mode or otherwise as soon as you turn the key off, apply park brake etc, it goes back to Manual Mode

I do agree with you that for OP it sounds like it is AUTO STARTING by design, so OP needs to get the manuals out, or specify exactly what systems he has installed in the coach. If it is one of those Magnum Controllers they look confusing; but may be simple switch setting to turn off.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:47 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
First, I don't think the 2016 Axis/Vegas line came with AGS so it would have to be an add-on, maybe by the previous owner.

Second, if the USE/STORE switch is in STORE how is the battery charging when the generator runs? Unless there is an automatic bypass relay associated with the AGS?

So it sounds like the OP has a lot of research to do about his rig.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote