Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2017, 03:56 AM   #41

State: California
THOR #6557
Bought a 2017 Axis 25.2, off the lot. In about 45 days we have covered about 6000 miles. The rig has performed perfectly. I am somewhat amazed how well. We drove in rain that was beyond belief, not a leak.
After working price for 3-4 weeks, I was at the dealer signing paperwork when the sales guy came up and told me that he and the tech had inspected the rig and found a few items that they would like to fix before delivery. As someone said earlier, deal with a very competent dealer who cares about the customer after the sale.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:12 PM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Virginia
THOR #7941
Love our 2017 Thor Quantum GR22

We just reached over 2000 miles on our motorhome and so far we love it. We had moments during 5 days of rain with DH and I and three dogs where we thought we might should have bought larger but we just couldn't find a floor
plan we liked better unless we got a right much longer and we really wanted the ease of use of the shorter home. The cabinets are gorgeous. There is an unreal amount of storage in a small space. The finishes and layout work extremely well. No major issues. Minor issues were a CE light caused by the dealer not tightening the gas cap enough, some shower caulking that was loose and an over cab shade that the salesman thought was manual and didn't work but turned out to be automatic and worked perfectly. The CE light was handled before pickup and the dealer handled the caulking before our trip. So far we could not have asked for more other than maybe more room during those 5 rainy days. The finshes appear high end and there was a lot of attention to detail. I had a new honda car with transmission issues. The dealer made it right and while it was a pain I would still buy another Honda. Everything isn't always perfect but a good dealer can make all the difference in the world. In our case our salesman has been there to check on the few issues and made sure everything was complete before our longer trip. We picked this motorhome over a more expensive one because we liked this one better and were simply more impressed with the finishes and details.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:36 PM   #43
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRB55 View Post
Thank you Kev,

I was not aware of that comment in the Thor manual. You make a good point.

Do you know if that is true of all motorhomes i.e. the Tiffins and Newmars or other higher end MHs? Or are they and others just "more luxurious" recreational vehicles?
We read the same info in the Owners Manual. Personally, I think that is a disclaimer, possibly, mandated by the government.
Most RV parks do not allow people to "live" there permanently, nor do State and National Parks.

We have owned motorhomes for a number of years. Yes, we have a few hiccups along the way...overall, WE LOVE OUR AXIS !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:48 PM   #44

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Why did you take delivery? Just wondering. And too, if you love the coach just remember THAT is what you bought - not the company. Once the warranty is done you don't ever need to talk to them again. Hope you enjoy your travels?
It was a rush delivery 2 days before our trip after waiting 3 months for delivery and quite honestly I didn't even notice until we got the paperwork in the mail and the title said E350. I really thought they'd have some integrity and make things right when I called them but they are like Oh Well... sue us! I never imagined they'd be so corrupt and arrogant.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:52 PM   #45

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
Bought a 2017 Axis 25.2, off the lot. In about 45 days we have covered about 6000 miles. The rig has performed perfectly. I am somewhat amazed how well. We drove in rain that was beyond belief, not a leak.
After working price for 3-4 weeks, I was at the dealer signing paperwork when the sales guy came up and told me that he and the tech had inspected the rig and found a few items that they would like to fix before delivery. As someone said earlier, deal with a very competent dealer who cares about the customer after the sale.
Who was your dealer?
Old 06-17-2017, 07:44 PM   #46

THOR #6557
Giant RV Clairmont, Southern Calif
Old 06-17-2017, 10:56 PM   #47

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
Giant RV Clairmont, Southern Calif
That really is interesting.... Giant RV in Colton let our problems go until I pointed them out to them. Service writer I dealt with was a very nice guy but the whole place seems disorganized.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:50 AM   #48

Model: Windsport
THOR #4835
I'm sure there are plenty of happy Thor owners out there. I needed a motorhome I could handle by myself since my husband has Parkinson's. We had Tiffin before and there is no comparison in quality. I wasn't comfortable with a diesel pusher so we went with a 5th wheel. Loved the space but too hard to set up. So we traded in for a 2016 Windsport 32n. Had a rough start with losing all electrical on our first trip out and had to get a new wire harness. The dealer and Thor has come through getting everything fixed. I am happy now but you get what you pay for!
Old 06-23-2017, 11:22 PM   #49

Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #7569
If you look, I believe every RV manual will state that it's not intended for full-time use. Even the ones they call "four season" RVs say that. That said - there are an awful lot of full-timers. We were for 3 1/2 years and loved it.

Just keep in mind. They ALL have their issues. It doesn't matter if it's a pop-up camper or a $1M bus. If you buy new, there will be bugs to work out. If you can find one a year or two old, that has been taken care of, most things should be "fixed."

Someone once told me - " Imagine your house going thru a constant earthquake. That's what these RVs go thru every time you haul/drive them down the road.

We had never done any RVing until we bought our first TT and moved in. 7 weeks later, we traded for our first of two fivers. I loved it! The only reason we bought another house is because hubby wanted one. I could have lived in the camper for the rest of my life.

We now have a motorhome. All ours were new when we bought them, so we have been thru 4 shake downs. It's just part of it. We have learned a lot from forums. Some things, we just fix ourselves, because it's easier than waiting on service. Especially in FL during the snowbird season. It can take months to get an appointment.

I say "Go for it!" I am hoping we never have to give it up.

Good Luck!

Gina
Old 06-23-2017, 11:44 PM   #50
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
We read the same info in the Owners Manual. Personally, I think that is a disclaimer, possibly, mandated by the government.
Most RV parks do not allow people to "live" there permanently, nor do State and National Parks.

We have owned motorhomes for a number of years. Yes, we have a few hiccups along the way...overall, WE LOVE OUR AXIS !!
I read somewhere last year or the year before that it has to do with the governments classification of Recreational Vehicle vs Mobile Home. There was a big hub bub about it concerning industry standards, building codes, property taxes etc... The way I read the article it started about Park Model trailers but then morphed over to all RVs.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:50 AM   #51

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by croused View Post
Well said, I feel the same, it is a price point issue. Im somewhat surprised at some of the minor QA/QC issues that escaped Thor but I love the unit overall and especially for the price. If I could have afforded a $200K Phaeton maybe it would have been perfect but not as drivable! This Forum has been an invaluable resource for learning about my purchase and resolving issues and I am very grateful for all who contribute!
Wife and I are looking for our first RV, which is why I'm reading this thread. Thought I would comment on this, as I've seen my share of similar comments about Tiffin's. I've spent some time in my sister's Phaeton as we've made a couple trips with them. They absolutely love it. But, my guess is that they have spent 6-8 weeks in Red Bay in the five or so years they've owned it. Including quite a few fairly major repairs and others that should be done but will require wholesale ripping out of the interior. They've had leaks. I think flooring replaced. It's a very long list.

Now, supposedly, they were unlucky enough to buy the coach when the old man had retired and the son running things and now the father is back in charge. And, even though they are four plus years out of warranty, they have been making repairs free of charge.

Then again, I just read on another forum that Tiffen's repair center is so backed up that they have instituted an official policy to no longer due no charge repairs of out of warranty work on coaches over four years old or a second owner. So, on the on hand, they have been covering out of warranty repairs, but that's been necessary because they have so many problems that were clear manufacturing defects that weren't caught or possibly repaired before the warranty expired.

All of that said, I'm considering a Vegas and all that I read about Thor quality has me pretty nervous. Not that Forest River has a much better name, and when I walked though Winnies on a lot, they fit and finish was horrible with trim falling off and the like.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:19 AM   #52

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Interestingly our last coach was a Tiffin Bus. We had our share of problems with it when it was new, but one thing Tiffin does, is to send one of their techs out to the coach to do a lot of the repairs. That helped keep me somewhat sane. As the Bus aged, there were just a never ending list of things that needed to be done. One unexpected issue was a Cummins engine problem, that only Cummins could deal with, and required a tow to their facility. That was a real nightmare. That was an out of warrantee over $5,000.00 repair. The Gemini has not been trouble free, but its small and there are fewer of everything on it, just seems easier to deal with.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:22 AM   #53

Model: Hurricane
State: Alabama
THOR #7745
We just bought a Thor hurricane 34e 2014 and love it I wish it held more water but outside of that it's awesome plenty of power lots of cabinets plenty of storage I'm very proud of it we had a 1999 adventurer that we loved but just a little past her prime
Old 06-24-2017, 02:43 AM   #54

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
THOR #3559
Happy Campers Here!

We bought our Freedom Elite 28H from the Bakersfield (California) Camping World two years ago. It's our 3rd RV -;; we had a 21 foot Komfort travel trailer - brand new! in 1978 - for 24 years (lived it in for 6 1/2 months while building our home; next we bought a 2 year old Itasca Class C and kept it 15 years and now the 28H.

We have enjoyed having a new motorhome and are preparing for retirement. We have had some minor issues but the dealer and Thor customer service have been good and maybe because we are experienced RV owners, haven't thought it was a big deal. Nothing is perfect and I would (and have) recommend Camping World In Bakersfield (we drove 3 hours to buy there, instead of where we actually live). I would also recommend Thor. Just my two cents.

One thing to remember about this Forum (again my two cent) people come here sometimes when they have a problem, seeking advice and possible solutions - I have done that myself. So it could appear to be a lot of unhappy people but I like to think we are all helping each other "work out the bugs." I enjoy reading the modifications/personalizations that people have done.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:32 AM   #55

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
A happy owner thread and I haven't posted?

LoL ...

We're very happy with our Thor.
Not completely happy with the build order brokered through CW (conflicted so'so) but the rig has been issue free ... drum roll ... until the other day when we noticed a fog light wasn't on when backing it into the garage. First issue ...!

Discovered the bulb exploded inside the housing so I vacuumed it out and popped in a new bulb. Item by Thor and worked just over 2yrs... so does this qualify as a build failure? ... Not a poke at others with real issues, only pointing out that there are a few of us that, in the scheme of things, really haven't had any problems due to Thor's build.

Anyway here's a picture of the blown bulb and its $6 replacement
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6200.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	5419  
Old 04-03-2018, 02:02 AM   #56

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: Kansas
THOR #11164
Homer,

I recently purchased a 2015 FE 28H and would like to learn what you have done as far as improvements and modifications.

Dave
Old 10-26-2018, 03:57 PM   #57

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Sometimes frustrating. Nothing major .
Old 12-06-2018, 08:44 PM   #58

Brand: Still Looking
State: Iowa
THOR #6045
happy w mine

happy with my thor 33sw diesel class c

BUT I constantly have to fix things here and there.. which makes sense to me as I am driving it down the road at 82 mph and even bouncing around in the ditch next to the road once...

If your not mechanical at all, then yes Id say your going to have issues WITH ANY rv you buy, they are like a boat and always need some tinkering. loose screws, water leaks, levelers out of sync the list is long.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:03 PM   #59

Model: ARIA 3901
State: Georgia
THOR #12263
Retired six years and RVing for three, not fulltime though. Started with an older gas ClassC an quickly learned what were my "essentials". Moved up to a 36 foot gas A and did a lot, but learns quickly on a trip out West that V10 is not up to the task. Got a 2017 Thor Aria this summer and am very happy, like hey say once you go diesel you never look back. Only regret is not having research enough before we started so that I would not not lost so much I fees and other things with each step up.

Enjoy your retirement!!
Old 12-07-2018, 01:19 PM   #60
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I always like my Class C Outlaw: even though there were an awful lot of issues with it.
My Grampa Denman used to tell me that "The strongest steel has always been put through the fire."
He's right: it DOES forge the strongest bonds!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote