Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2019, 11:22 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Colorado
THOR #15515
Thinking of buying an Axis 25.5.

Hi all, I am new to the forum and this would be my first motorcoach. I have had a 5th wheel for a few years so not new to rv'ing. I am thinking of buying a 2016 Axis 25.2 not 25.5 as the title say's (couldn't figure out how to change it). I have a few questions and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can I get by with no leveling system?

Does the single A/C (15,000 BTU) keep it cool enough?

The sewer dump seems to be in an odd position, seems up hill, any problems with that?

I have read where some have installed steering control and anti sway systems, is this necessary?

Where can I mount a spare?

Thanks a lot for any help,
Kevin

Old 06-02-2019, 12:12 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Hello and welcome.

Just about everything you want to know about an Axis/Vegas can be found in Ed's excellent crowd sourced manual (if you haven't already) download and read it:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html

Now to your specific questions:
  • Leveling system: yes you can get by without one.
  • 15k A/C keep it cool enough: depends on where you travel, In the midwest/northeast yes (we make do with our 13.5k) in the Southwest, maybe not. That front window really lets the heat in--a good way to mitigate that is with a Magneshade or Sunguard cover.
  • Sewer: Haven't had any issues. It really isn't "uphill" as there is a hole in the bottom of the compartment--you don't run the sewer hose out the side hatch. (If the unit you're looking at doesn't have the hole/removable access panel they forgot to put one in and your dealer should fix that.) Also note that the sewer output rotates (usually we drive with it slightly up, then open the hatch and rotate it down when setup).
  • Suspension: First thing you should do is get an alignment (since you're looking at a used one the prior owner may have done this but it wouldn't hurt to get it checked). Everything else after that is up to you based on how you like the way it handles (all we've done is alignment + front sumo springs)
  • Spare: Some people have used a hitch mounted spare, others have fit one between the framerails underneath the back
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:08 PM   #3

THOR #15515
JamieGeek, thank you so much for the info. I was not aware that the sewer outlet rotated and obviously neither was the sales girl at the dealer.
I will get the alignment checked. It has 10,400 miles on it and seems in good shape. The PO had stored it an airplane hanger when he was not using it. It looks like he had a lot of options installed as well. They are asking $57,000. I don't know if this is a fair deal or not, I haven't researched value to any extent yet. I did see the same one for sale for $62,995 but had some other extras on it but higher mileage.
Thanks again for the help,
Kevin
Old 06-02-2019, 01:35 PM   #4

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I have never seen an Axis/Vegas with a spare tire
Only a few photos on this Forum
In fact, I just do not see them on Class A rigs.
With dual rears, you’re spare is on the rear if needed.

Am I right?
If not, please put me in my place
Old 06-02-2019, 01:36 PM   #5

THOR #13362
dbl post
Old 06-02-2019, 01:53 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrooney View Post

.....cut..... I am thinking of buying a 2016 Axis 25.2 not 25.5 as the title say's (couldn't figure out how to change it). I have a few questions and any help would be greatly appreciated.

......cut......

Thanks a lot for any help,
Kevin
Kevin, regarding price, I’ve noticed a significant difference on whether the motorhome has the newer chassis and body/windshield style versus the old.

That change occurred during 2016 Model Year, which means some motorhomes have Ford 2015 MY chassis with 5-speed transmissions versus newer ones on 2016 MY chassis which have 6-speed transmission. The newer motorhomes also have the lower/smaller windshield.

The price difference isn’t huge, but on average it’s noticeable.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:32 PM   #7

THOR #10354
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I have never seen an Axis/Vegas with a spare tire
Only a few photos on this Forum
In fact, I just do not see them on Class A rigs.
With dual rears, you’re spare is on the rear if needed.

Am I right?
If not, please put me in my place
Bad advice. Running on one tire in the rear is overloading the tire left to take the load. Also, you need the second rim on the rear to be installed and if the tire is damaged on that rim, your taking too many chances of further failure.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:37 PM   #8

THOR #10354
Price/value

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrooney View Post
JamieGeek, thank you so much for the info. I was not aware that the sewer outlet rotated and obviously neither was the sales girl at the dealer.
I will get the alignment checked. It has 10,400 miles on it and seems in good shape. The PO had stored it an airplane hanger when he was not using it. It looks like he had a lot of options installed as well. They are asking $57,000. I don't know if this is a fair deal or not, I haven't researched value to any extent yet. I did see the same one for sale for $62,995 but had some other extras on it but higher mileage.
Thanks again for the help,
Kevin
I only paid $73,000 for a new 2017 in November of 2017 so that does not sound like a great deal since you have NO Warranty and these RV's are very problematic. You will need to check all systems for proper operation and ths could take quite a while. The kitchen cabinets in the 2018 models are much nicer looking as well and they also include solar panel prep.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:05 PM   #9

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
I only paid $73,000 for a new 2017 in November of 2017 so that does not sound like a great deal since you have NO Warranty and these RV's are very problematic. You will need to check all systems for proper operation and ths could take quite a while. The kitchen cabinets in the 2018 models are much nicer looking as well and they also include solar panel prep.
Huh...
My Vegas was $65k for a new “end-of-year close-out” ‘17 in Aug-‘18
And I thought that I paid too much ($72k with tax & license)

I guess it’s in the eye of the beholder
Old 06-02-2019, 05:00 PM   #10

THOR #15515
Thanks for all the response. I'm pretty sure it has the 6 speed, I know it has the v 10 e 450 and smaller windshield. 57K is what she is asking I don't expect to pay that for it.
Thanks a lot
Old 06-02-2019, 05:03 PM   #11

State: Maryland
THOR #15367
That is pretty close to what we paid for our 2017 private sale. It has some of the bugs worked out by the previous owners and some nice modifications done. It was well cared for and stored under cover as well. We did have it checked out before accepting their offer.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:04 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the Forum, and happy shopping!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:12 PM   #13

THOR #15515
Thanks