Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2022, 04:47 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #26374
Thinking of buying used???

We currently have a 2016 36' travel trailer with a 2016 GMC 2500 HD diesel as the tow vehicle. We have been seriously thinking about upgrading to a Class A Motorhome. I'm confident many of you have been in our situation before upgrading to Class-A.

Due to being retired, and setting a budget, we're looking between 2008-2014 with mileage under 50K. Thor, with the Freightliner chassis, Allison transmission, and Cummins diesel are what I feel is the best way to go. A Thor Motorhome is high on our list.

I would greatly appreciate your input and suggestions on our plan...Thanks kindly in advance BTW, I did a search before posting a new thread on this topic.

Old 04-01-2022, 06:11 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
The absolute best thing for you is to nail down the budget and visit several large dealerships. No one here can determine what is best for your situation.

Buying a used motor home is like getting married, for better or for worse and it could be both.
Old 04-01-2022, 06:14 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
From your list you want a used diesel pusher. Why limit to Thor?
Old 04-02-2022, 01:56 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! When our travel style changed, we traded our 35 foot 5th wheel and big diesel pickup for a 33' Class A gas from a brand no longer in business. For us, it was a good move for several reasons.

Our shopping included coaches like you described, but the purchase cost and ongoing costs for those were beyond our budget. Not a fit for us and the way we travel.

Before, we more often would stay in one place longer. The motorhome was (and is) better with more nomadic travel. Like shoes, different styles appeal to different people. And that style can change over time.

You would be wise to rent a coach like you think you want. A week or even a few days might be a real eye opener.
Old 05-11-2022, 09:29 PM   #5

Model: Palazzo 33.2
THOR #26658
One item to budget is the cost of an inspection. Definitely! Pricey, but in the end, it may save you thousands of dollars in repairs. I got cocky after paying for and inspections and decided I could do it just as easily. Boy was I wrong!
Old 05-11-2022, 11:56 PM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Looks like the OP was a hit and run. They started a discussion, then abandoned us. By now they should have more specific comments.
Old 05-12-2022, 12:36 AM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Looks like the OP was a hit and run. They started a discussion, then abandoned us. By now they should have more specific comments.
Yep! Drive-By: hasn't been back to the forum since the minute they posted.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 12:59 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I not a fan of used except for people that really know what they doing and if they do they ask questions of the nature posted here.

But for me, as a general rule, I would never sell a 6 year old anything to buy a 8 - 14 year old something else
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote