Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2017, 01:22 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #7726
Having big slide problems with my 2017 Miramar 35.2. Any suggestions that would be helpful dealing with Thor? Or suggestions to get this resolved?

Old 07-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #42
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
... Our "new" coach has 10x the build quality of our Thor.
Since you put 'new' in quotes - is that 'new to you' as in a used coach?
If so - hard to compare the build quality - as the previous owner likely dealt with any build issues...

No doubt you had problems you shouldn't have - but Thor certainly isn't alone in quality issues - and DPs are not immune.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:53 PM   #43

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #6291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
Having big slide problems with my 2017 Miramar 35.2. Any suggestions that would be helpful dealing with Thor? Or suggestions to get this resolved?

I have a 2017 35.2. What kind of slide issues?
Old 07-09-2017, 01:47 AM   #44

THOR #7726
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiavb View Post
I have a 2017 35.2. What kind of slide issues?

After a few nights in the rig and about 600 miles, took it in for other warranty repairs and the technician heard the left slide making a noise. Two weeks into the problem, it appears that the box is not square.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:42 AM   #45

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
You have to believe when you cut out80 percent of the side of an rv, it has to weaken what wall structure is left especially when driving down theses so called smooth highways. We looked at some full wall slide models and passed on them after reading about the problems. Not a big fan of all the electrical and plumbing having to go in and out each time. Also not a fan of the black tank located on the passenger side.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:25 PM   #46

THOR #7726
Quote:
Originally Posted by laberj45 View Post
We do not wish anyone any ill will - and certainly hope all to have a maintenance free slide system and good camping....

But our experience has been so bad that we have not only hired an attorney, but have really looked into the Schwinteck system Thir uses on the 2017 Miramar 34.3. Its not a Schwinteck issue - it is an engineering issue. The electric 500/1 motors just can not handle the slide weight - and has high potential of malfuctiining at some point (many experience this after warranty expires).

Still no resolution w/ Thor for us. Good luck with your slides.....

Can you give us an update?
Old 08-02-2017, 11:05 PM   #47

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #6099
oh boy this thread is scaring me. I bought my hurricane 34J because I love the floor plan for my family.
RobbieH what brand motorhome did you buy this time that you like?
Old 08-03-2017, 09:59 AM   #48

State: Massachusetts
THOR #4636
Not trying to scare.... I just wish i read all this stuff before i bought. You couldnt imagine the grief i have been through with Thor. I soooo wish we never bought a Thor with a full wall slide. Now i'm learning all the sneaky things Thor and dealerships do to customers when they buy RVs - mainly relating to warrantees. Quite a show!!! We really miss the RVing life.....
Old 08-03-2017, 10:00 AM   #49

State: Massachusetts
THOR #4636
7 months and counting..... learned that you have to be patient and dilligent. Have to do homework too.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:26 AM   #50

Model: A.C.E 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #4139
I have a 2014 Thor A.C.E 30.2 and was having full wall slide hang up. after several trips of dealing with it i learned at least for mine the controller was shutting down due to an over AMP draw it was sensing trying to move that big "" slide. I learned a way to beat the system "for me" any way, I push the slide button and get the slide moving then release and immediately push again, continue doing that until slide is all the way in or out. after several trips doing that process it will now go in and out with no issues. Of course make sure all screws and bolts are in and have not started backing out.
"solved my issues anyway"
JEEP JKU
BrianA.C.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:35 PM   #51

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
2014 Winsport 34f

My unit has the 3 Trax System. I just had the rear motor replaced. Luckily my unit was in shop at time motor went out. I have owned the unit since February and been camping 4 times since purchase.

I just order a can of CRC Lube; so that I can start lubing the trax system.

I think I will purchase an extra motor to keep on board. Does anyone know the model number of the motor I should purchase? More than likely, I will purchase from Amazon.
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:16 PM   #52

State: Georgia
THOR #8022
Unhappy miramar slide out 10" stops

I have a 2016 34.3 this being are second time to use it and the full wall slide only will go out 8' or so and stops then it will retract and both sides are even.
Thor thinks it is the "T" handles that are under the slide for the purpose of safety but one maybe touching something it should not . The only way to see is have the slide manually moved out and check under it . I called the factory for Schwintek and they had me check the control box which was reading motor one short circuit ? Yet the slide moves evenly in and out but only 8".
I took it to camping world but was wondering if anyone else has had this happen with the "T" handle issue if that is what it really is ? Schwintek thought it could also be a wire that is shorting out but I would think the unit would just stop and not beable to retract or try to go back out ?
Thanks
Milo
Old 08-04-2017, 07:06 PM   #53

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
We had four very large slides on our former DP, and for eleven years never had any problem with them. Now have two very small slides on the Gemini, so far so good.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #54

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Maryland
THOR #3920
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgr1930 View Post
I have a 2016 34.3 this being are second time to use it and the full wall slide only will go out 8' or so and stops then it will retract and both sides are even.
Thor thinks it is the "T" handles that are under the slide for the purpose of safety but one maybe touching something it should not . The only way to see is have the slide manually moved out and check under it . I called the factory for Schwintek and they had me check the control box which was reading motor one short circuit ? Yet the slide moves evenly in and out but only 8".
I took it to camping world but was wondering if anyone else has had this happen with the "T" handle issue if that is what it really is ? Schwintek thought it could also be a wire that is shorting out but I would think the unit would just stop and not beable to retract or try to go back out ?
Thanks
Milo
Motor 1 short circuit. I have a 2017 37LX and just had warranty work done on it because my slide would go in and out but the controller showed "motor 1 short circuit". After they replaced the motor, slide rails (motor was apparently mounted slightly off center), and insulation, about 4 days later into my trip and the slide failed to go out all the way. I called to have the dealer in MD look at it (warranty work was done on a trip passing through Elkhart,IN) but they could not get me in for 2 months and I have trip plans.

I decided to go about fixing it myself. As it turned out, the wiring connector from the motor to the coach had the connecting pins pushed in too far (on motor side). I used a pair of pliers and carefully pulled all the pins so they were straight and aligned. Then carefully put it back into the coach end connector. I tested it several times over the course of 4 days and not once has the controller reported the error on motor 1. Everything worked as it was supposed to. I would try to take a look at that and see if the pins are pushed in too far and not making a good connection.

Next on my list is figuring out where the short is on my headlights. I found the wiring harness causing the issue, but it started to rain and I had to stop. There are about 5-7 splices in the wiring harness going from one side of the coach to the other. I mean really? You couldn't use one freaking piece of wire but it looks like pieces of scraps were spliced together just to connect the lighting in the front.
2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:46 AM   #55

THOR #7726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I have a much different take on slide problems.

The problem with most slides in my opinion, given their weight and cost restrictions, is that they are inherently very difficult to get right. There are a lot of design difficulties to overcome. I'm honestly amazed that most work as well as they do for as long as they do.

It also doesn't help that most motorhome structures aren't stiff enough to provide a solid foundation for slides. These large boxes on wheels flex and twist more than most people think. It's not unlike automobiles from decades ago that if you opened a door and then jacked the car up, you couldn't close the door again until the auto was jacked back down. The body's structure actually twisted enough to easily see with naked eye. And most motorhomes are worse in stiffness so something has to give when you drive them on significantly unleveled roads.

I think manufacturers do an excellent job for the most part considering what they are trying to accomplish with slides. Still, given a choice, I'd pass on them in preference for a solid and sealed wall. There is much less that can go wrong.

You contributed nothing.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:11 AM   #56

THOR #7726
Quote:
Sent my Miramar 34.3 to Indiana after dealer was unable to fix improperly manufactured slide. RV delivered back to CT still broken (slide drifts out 2 inches during travel).

Had to go to "last resorts" and hire a consumer rights attorney out of Hartford CT to help resolve our issue via the Magnasson Moss act. Made initial progress, but have since had little to no resolution from Thor.

We have relinquished ownership of our broken RV and are saddened that our RV days are now over for our family. Likely to be caught in litigation for months....

We just have no confidence in the full wall slide system that Thor used in their 2017 Miramar RV. It's really too bad - because we loved the layout.....

Did anyone else go the lawyer route with Thor?

You said you have relinquished ownership, did the dealership buy the coach back from you?
Old 08-24-2017, 04:17 PM   #57

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Maryland
THOR #3920
Quote:
We just took ownership of a 2017 Miramar 34.3 that came with slide issues. The full wall slide would not retract/extend completely or evenly (did everything right with leveling, keeping button pressed, etc.). Called techs and could not find a solution. Now the 3 week RV is at the dealer.

By my research (and comments in multiple forums), it sounds like my slide has a roller adjustment issue....

We found, at the dealer last week, that our RV was sold to us with the 2 track system instead of the advertised 3Trax. Now I have a dealership fabricating the slide with the parts sent from Thor! Sounds great, huh? Eeeeks....

I now have to look into what differences there are in the two slides. Does anyone know of the motor differences? Sounds like the 3Trax system should have the 1/500. Is there a newer roller configuration in the 3Trax system? Surely for $1600 there must be more to the 3Trax than just three side rails and a couple motors that retail for $250 apiece for $1600.

Any info would be appreciated. Thinking that Thor should offer an additional warranty to us for the screw up.
It could be any number of things. I had to adjust two of my rollers to loosen them up a little. After taking the tour, I can see where certain things happen. The rollers are installed prior to the wall going in (of course) and they adjust them. Whether or not there is a tightening spec I am not sure. Just a guy with two wrenches tightening. I believe the 2 rack slide has a different motor although it's not much different. There are only 2 motors for each the three slides. It's located at the top and is easily replaced by lifting up on it and disconnecting the wires. I found them online for about $150/motor. I had Thor replace one of mine BUT I don't think the issue was the motor. After they replaced it, I had the same error code and found out it was in the wiring harness. Someone did not line up the pins correctly so they did not make good contact. The ground on one was barely touching. As weird as it sounds, it worked, slowly and ended up extending slower than the other end. After taking the connector apart and fixing the wiring, same motor I had replaced, everything ran really fast just like new and both slides extend and retract at the same speed and stop at the same time.

The 3Trax would bother me if it did not come with it but the reason for the not extending/retracting at the same time may very well be in the wiring which no one seems to check, they just replace the parts and hope for the best. When you get it back, if it does the same thing, check the connector in the coach from the motor to the coach side and make sure all the pins are flat and even.
2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:49 PM   #58

THOR #7726
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
I did under Texas Lemon Law. After the lawyer got involved and lemon law filed, Thor came to my house and installed the 3 Trax system. It seemed to work after that, but since we were going full-time we traded it for a Class A diesel pusher. Our "new" coach has 10x the build quality of our Thor.

What "new" brand did you buy?
Old 08-24-2017, 04:57 PM   #59

Model: Outlaw 38RE
THOR #2145
We are currently having same issue with our 3 Trax slide - front end of front side only comes in a few inches and then stops - it works like a champ when extending. Thor replaced motor 3 times and slide-topper once (Thor was convinced that slide topper was binding and preventing slide from coming in) - it works for a few months and then fails (except for slide-topper replacement - it still didn't work). I called Lippert, gave them the problem and was told cable is the issue 95% of the time; tech said that harness is a bit delicate and care must be taken when installing/replacing. Lippert Tech said Thor always wants to change motor 1st instead of checking harness - I checked harness but found no issues with plugs on either end; new harness is on the way - great $$$ on Ebay. Good luck w/ repairs!
2016 Outlaw Josey Wales 38RE #2630
FMCA F455018
crey0517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:39 AM   #60

THOR #5409
Lippert 1/500 in wall slide out. Is it possible to upgrade. 3 replacement of motors

I am now replacing Lippert 1/500 motors for large 3 trax for the third time!
Is there any mods to add additional motors than just two to help with the load?