Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2020, 12:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #12084
Thor 33.1

We are thinking from moving from our current Class C to a Class A. The A.C.E. 33.1 seems to fit our needs. My wife is a little nervous about it based on the reviews she has red on line about the quality of Thor products. We have been pretty happy with our majestic 28A but would like a little more room. So A.C.E. owners, Sound off!

Also, Are the TV's in the new RV's smart TV's? We stream most of our programing and are wondering if we will have to replace all the RV's.

Old 05-31-2020, 01:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Smart TVs? Unlikely.
Quality in an ACE is no different than a Hurricane, Windsport, Palazzo, or any of the models from any other manufacturer. Some are built by a good crew with some attention to detail, some crews have new people who make mistakes and aren't properly supervised, some are built by crews with no work ethic or pride in workmanship. What you get depends on the draw and how well you inspect it during your PDI BEFORE you sign papers and hand over money.

We bought our ACE used with 2300 miles on it. During the PDI I determined the house batteries were shot so they replaced them with brand new batteries. I have replace 2 out of 3 of the TVs with Roku smart TVs, only one of those was due to failure. I had one slide motor fail after 2 years, but those are the same motors used in most models of coaches from most manufacturers. I replaced a failed Trombetta relay last year. I have replaced 2 drawer latches in the last year. I have picked up extra screws and vacuumed leftover dust and debris from behind panels. I have insulated the dog house and replaced both the driver and passenger chairs just a couple a months ago due to flaking of the fabric.

None of these is ACE or even Thor specific. Having owned RVs from Fleetwood and Forest River I have seen the same and worst workmanship. Purchase with your eyes wide open and realize fixing and modifying your RV is all part of the journey.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:43 PM   #3

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Unfortunately the current models do not advertise “Smart TVs”
Typically, the TVs installed in Thor RVs are a low-end LED product.

The ACE includes 1 DVD player in the Living Room. That unit may have Smart features to access Netflix, Hulu, Roku, or Prime.

But most likely, if you want Smart TVs in all areas of your Thor ACE...you’ll need to purchase on your own.

FYI, I just had one of my 3 Seiki 32” LEDs go out on me. I replaced with a $129 TCL Smart LED.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:28 PM   #4

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo877 View Post
We are thinking from moving from our current Class C to a Class A. The A.C.E. 33.1 seems to fit our needs. My wife is a little nervous about it based on the reviews she has red on line about the quality of Thor products. We have been pretty happy with our majestic 28A but would like a little more room. So A.C.E. owners, Sound off!

Also, Are the TV's in the new RV's smart TV's? We stream most of our programing and are wondering if we will have to replace all the RV's.

We just got a couple of fire sticks from amazon. Now we have smart TV’s for $30.00. The tv in the bedroom I can’t get to the back so I left that one alone. I have no idea how Thor mounted that tv. Maybe they glued it to the wall haha. It’s not coming off!
Old 05-31-2020, 03:56 PM   #5

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
We just got a couple of fire sticks from amazon. Now we have smart TV’s for $30.00. The tv in the bedroom I can’t get to the back so I left that one alone. I have no idea how Thor mounted that tv. Maybe they glued it to the wall haha. It’s not coming off!
Good idea on using the fire sticks. Many have used Roku adapter as well.

Regarding the Bedroom Wall TV...
> get a 10-12" long Phillips Head screwdriver
> there are two Phillips Head screws on the side of the mount
> remove the screws which allows the TV to "slide" off the mount
P.S. they use this type of mount as a space saver, so that TV hugs the wall

Let us know what you find.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:16 PM   #6

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post

Quote:

Here are some pics. All I see are a few screws at the bottom.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0129.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	24023

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0128.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	24024
Old 05-31-2020, 07:18 PM   #7

THOR #14120
For some reason Tapatalk won’t let me send anymore pics.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:57 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
Here are some pics. All I see are a few screws at the bottom.
Attachment 24023

Attachment 24024
That looks like the mount on my outside TV - screws at the bottom and top as I recall. You may have to stand on a ladder to see the top ones.

However, in my bedroom I have this mount:

Notice the two screw locations at the bottom.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:25 PM   #9

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
That looks like the mount on my outside TV - screws at the bottom and top as I recall. You may have to stand on a ladder to see the top ones.

However, in my bedroom I have this mount:

Notice the two screw locations at the bottom.

Thanks. Nothing at the top. I was trying to send those pics when Tapatalk quite working.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:57 AM   #10

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:

If they are the same Axxera as in mine, they’re not even smart enough to pair with a Roku remote. But they work. I use Roku sticks in the main tv. If no park WiFi I use my phone as a hot spot and amp it up thru the WiFi Ranger.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:20 PM   #11

Model: Ace 27.7
State: Indiana
THOR #15856
I have a vegas 27.7 and love it.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:18 PM   #12
z28

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #9536
I also went from a class C on a E450 Chassis and now have a 2018 ACE 30.1. My wife and I both love the ACE, It's much easier to drive and more comfortable. The Panoramic windshield give you a lot of confidence driving the rig, We have had no issues with any of the TV's or radio. Overall I am completely satisfied with my ACE
Old 06-06-2020, 07:49 PM   #13

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Quote:

I've read about a lot of leaking problems and we had it with our 2018 Ace before the trade....leaking on the cab windows is well known. Our warranty took care of the drivers side to some extent but then the leak moved from the side window where it was running down over the leveler panel and was then over the speedometer to the point where we had to have a little plastic bowl to catch it and couldn't close the curtains for fear of water stains. CW worked on it but we traded to a Hurricane. Have that checked thoroughly before you drive it off the lot. There is a pressure test they can do to and if they want to sell a unit, should do it for you.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:30 AM   #14
MLP

THOR #17478
Quote:
Unfortunately the current models do not advertise “Smart TVs”
Typically, the TVs installed in Thor RVs are a low-end LED product.

The ACE includes 1 DVD player in the Living Room. That unit may have Smart features to access Netflix, Hulu, Roku, or Prime.

But most likely, if you want Smart TVs in all areas of your Thor ACE...you’ll need to purchase on your own.

FYI, I just had one of my 3 Seiki 32” LEDs go out on me. I replaced with a $129 TCL Smart LED.

Most manufactures purchase the cheep closeout model TV's. I had one in my fifth wheel fail. Cannot get replacement parts because of age! It was six months old! Well the rig was. They get a ton of them and install until they are used up. Same with everything installed. Purchase in bulk at the cheepest price. I did find the circuit board on ebay from a TV that had the screen damaged. So it was fixed. I am a retired engineer and have repaired many TV's in my time from the stone age tube to the modern.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:04 PM   #15

Model: ACE 30.1
THOR #17950
On my ACE 30.1 the bedroom tv is mounted to a hinged panel with a door lock. It opens when pulled from the bottom and reveals a storage area where we put games, a dvd player and a satellite receiver.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:04 AM   #16

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Ohio
THOR #4541
I have a 2016 ACE 29.4. We've got about 24,000 miles on it. I've had very few problems and the few that I have had, were minor so I could fix them myself. Overall, we have been very happy with our ACE.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:07 AM   #17

State: Tennessee
THOR #15004
ace 30.4

Quote:

we did the same thing had a2009 freelander 31.5 and traded in for 2018 ace 30.4 we love it just got back from Gatlinburg last week owned it for going on 2 yrs no problems
Old 06-10-2020, 01:15 AM   #18

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
Coachman C to Ace A

We also went from a C to an A.
If you remember the saying when you own a house there is always something to fix or do to the house, the very same applies to the motorhome.
We went from a 2008 Coachman 30'C to a 2016 Thor ACE 29.3. A. We enjoy the additional room in the A but beware of additional costs.
Insurance increased $ 300 year and personal property (Virginia) Tax went from $160 to $560 year.
We enjoy a very well maintained motorhome so if not using it we spend quite a bit of time maintaining it. If you don't have the knowhow or don't want to do your own maintaince be prepared to spend sums of $$.
Overall we enjoy our 2016 ACE, it has been a learning experience with all the new systems to learn and maintain.
Good Luck