Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2019, 09:17 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Nevada
THOR #14641
Thor 4x4 Super C announcement

Thor announced they will offer 4x4 on one of their Super C models, the SV34. See link to video below.

It also mentions they may consider a shorter unit, which would be a nice option.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:01 AM   #2

Model: Dynamax REV 24 RB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3069
Salivating, but would like to see one without the front overhang.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #3

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Nice front coil-spring suspension and aluminum wheels. Would be nice on lighter F-53s.

Seems too large to take off road considering minimum ground clearance. I’d also be concerned house body structure and interior wouldn’t handle much twisting at all.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I foresee impending disaster...
Somebody is bound to think that they've just bought a real off-road rig!
(It looks as if it'd be more of a "poor road" rig... )
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:45 PM   #5

State: Arizona
THOR #14192
If anyone mistakes 4WD for just hard off-roading and buys one of these, they deserve the impending doom. 4WD is not just for off-roading it can be used to launch boats with confidence, in slick muddy campgrounds, on steep gravel inclines, snow.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:02 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
There's an old saying about this sort of thing:
"Four-wheel drive will get you twenty feet further down the trail; and twice as stuck!"
Old 03-17-2019, 02:21 PM   #7

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
4x4 Super C

I like the Ford F550. 4x4 drivetrain reduces the GVW ratings so hope this one is not overloaded from the gate like the Dynamax Isatas with the Dodge 4x4 set up (Isata 5?). Pretty cool looking but the 4x4 isn't worth a reduced rating to me. I'm sure it will work for a niche market.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:35 PM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #2121
The video mentioned same 19,500-pound GVWR, but since chassis is a little heavier, it leaves less cargo weight on which to build the motorhome.

This may be an area where manufacturers may consider the new Ford F-600 with 22,000-pound GVWR.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:43 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
A 4x4 Chassis would come in handy for more than taking it off road.

It would come in handy for winter camping, for instance. Or launching a boat.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:59 AM   #10

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
There's an old saying about this sort of thing:
"Four-wheel drive will get you twenty feet further down the trail; and twice as stuck!"
I had a guy tell me this, " I go as far as I can in 2 wheel dr. when I get stuck I us 4x4 to get me un stuck and turn around and go back",,,
Old 03-18-2019, 11:02 AM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That's how my Grampa Denman taught me to do it...
Old 03-18-2019, 11:39 AM   #12

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I used to do a fair bit of off roading (not serious rock crawling or mud bogging of course) when I was a teen/young adult many years ago. The only 4x4 I ever had was an old 1966 model bronco with the small inline 6 engine. That thing was so worn out the engine didn't have enough compression to stay still when parked on a hill! That said, I had a few different pickups with limited slip diffs that could go places a lot of friends with 4x4 couldn't go. I've seen a few 4x4 trucks stuck with one font wheel and one opposite rear wheel spinning. Then when the go in reverse the opposite two wheels spin.... so when they get out and look they see that all 4 where spinning. They probably never even know their 4x4 is only driving 2....just about the same as a limited slip 2wd. I remember once not too many years ago offering to pull a guy out that was stuck like that

Anyway, I guess I probably agree that a person that buys this to go serious mountain climbing almost deserves it...no way the house will hold up to the twisting.

Anyway, if I could afford it, I would love to trade in my 31L for my same floor plan on that chassis.... even though in the almost 5 years we've had it I've never come close to needing 4wd. (in reality I'd be just as happy with the 2wd version). Still, I've been very reluctant to tow our boat, mostly because the ramps around here are mostly all in tidal waters and are therefore fairly long....and I just can't get past that mental image. Also, I remember one of our first trips out to a SP in GA. The sites were all very flat..basically a grass field...but it had been raining and it was a bit soft. No problems...but I think that's an example of where it could come in handy.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:41 AM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Did you ever use the "parking brake trick"; to fool a rear open differential into thinking it was something more than what it really was?
Old 03-18-2019, 11:46 AM   #14

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Anything 4X4 is better than anything without. If it doesn't fit your bill, don't get it. It's a great option and has it's limited benefit. For those who do the desert sands, camp a lot on the beaches or live in the heavier snow regions...great back up. For those who choose this option to do the Black Bear Pass...we'll see you at the bottom...in pieces. Everything I drive is 4X4 and I rarely use it. It does give me options to go places I otherwise wouldn't, knowing I can get out. RVing is all about taking the roads unknown. 4X4 will take you a few more great places and a little further down the roads than normal. I would opt for it if the price wasn't ridiculous.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote