Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2017, 04:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: California
THOR #5809
Thor ACE 30.1 curtain disintegration (likely other models too)

We recently traveled to Oregon (for the eclipse, hooray!) and had occasion for the first time in several months to actually look at the curtain that closes off the windshield and cab windows. The backing (white, facing out) is in shreds. It falls apart at a touch. Apparently the material has been broken down by sun exposure. At home the coach is parked facing roughly south.

Coach is a 2016 ACE 30.1 which purchased new less than a year ago. I'm sure the curtains are the same on other ACE models, and I would be surprised if the same curtains aren't used in at least some other lines. Anybody else run into this?

We are taking it to the dealer for replacement - but of course we have no expectation that the replacement curtains will hold up any better.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
You are far from alone.... Many of us have either cut out the liner or replaced them.

Mine failed after a WINTER storage in MICHIGAN...lol.
I just cut out liner - was already out of warranty. Haven't replaced yet.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:25 PM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #8054
Mine was done after about 2 weeks. The wife is in the process of fashioning new ones out of a much higher grade of toilet paper than Thor used. We have an ACE 30.2
Old 09-02-2017, 07:02 PM   #4
mrw

Model: A.C.E. 29.3
State: West Virginia
THOR #4502
We backed ours with iinsulbrite we purchased from fabric store for less than $40.00 . Keeps light and heat out. Great improvement
Old 09-02-2017, 07:36 PM   #5

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by K6NCX View Post
We recently traveled to Oregon (for the eclipse, hooray!) and had occasion for the first time in several months to actually look at the curtain that closes off the windshield and cab windows. The backing (white, facing out) is in shreds. It falls apart at a touch. Apparently the material has been broken down by sun exposure. At home the coach is parked facing roughly south.

Coach is a 2016 ACE 30.1 which purchased new less than a year ago. I'm sure the curtains are the same on other ACE models, and I would be surprised if the same curtains aren't used in at least some other lines. Anybody else run into this?

We are taking it to the dealer for replacement - but of course we have no expectation that the replacement curtains will hold up any better.
Yep, ours were gone from the sun in our Axis after one year. Now, I leave them rolled up and use the Magneshades on the outside of the window. Only use the interior curtains when we are camping. We did get ours replaced under warranty with the same ones.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:19 PM   #6

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Same here. The lining in our curtains turned into white dust after a year. We removed the curtains and my wife used the OEM curtain as a pattern and made new cloth curtains.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Curtain1.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	6725  
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:08 AM   #7

State: Kentucky
THOR #8570
I have not had the problem but will keep a eye on it I also purchased mine new in 2016 29.4 ACE
Old 09-05-2017, 05:34 PM   #8

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Wife decided that replacement of all curtains and shades were a first priority after we'd had our ACE 30.1 out on its first couple of trips. She found the original shades to not be opaque enough with lights on at night. Plus the original shades are less than robust.

She made curtains for all windows except the window behind the sink that has a regular pull down shade.

First picture is a comparison with the original front window shades (left and right sides) with a test panel in the center. Makes you realize what hideous yellow Thor uses. She made sheers to go behind the main curtains. When all of the curtains are drawn, its pretty dark in the coach even during the day.

We had to pull all of the valances and install a couple of Ikea rods on the inside of of the valances. Original blinds are now in storage in the basement.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3529.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	6784   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3666.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	6785  

Name:	IMG_3679.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	6786   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3680.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	6787  

Old 09-05-2017, 07:01 PM   #9

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Going on two years, no problems here (so far lol)...
Old 09-05-2017, 07:17 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
Going on two years, no problems here (so far lol)...
Depends on how you store your coach. For our Axis I would close the curtains and the front shade in storage. The liners in the curtains didn't last more than a year being constantly bombarded by UV (in Michigan no less).

We cut the liners out and now store it with the windows blocked by other means to save the curtains (and the rest of the insides against UV).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:14 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: New York
THOR #5840
Our curtains were fried when we bought the unit at 2 years old. My wife and I purchased good quality polyester material and made our own. We also added grommets and new roller hangers. Problem solved.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:28 AM   #12

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
I'm going to weave some.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:56 AM   #13

Model: ACE
THOR #10958
Acter only few months of ownership, We purchased sun resistance fabric, removed all backing that had not already shredded itself, then restitched all of the curtians. A full day of work for 2 people, cost $40 for fabric. Results are better, more heat resistant curtians. Amazing that Thor uses such poor quality backing.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:36 AM   #14

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I went over to a yardage store and bought ($15) some new backing. I then paid a semstress $30 to replace the OEM backing. Easy Peasy.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:05 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #9050
Don't take it to the dealer. Just call Thor and they will send you a replacement set for free. That's what we did.
Mods - Safe-T-Steer - Roadmaster Sterling Towbar - Tow Defender - KarGard - Thermopro In/Out T-Stat - SS Kitchen Sink - Garmin RV770 - Propane Tee Grill Adaptor - Custom Center Console - Oxygenics Shower Head - 10" Rear View Safety Monitor - Verizon Hot Spot - Radiator Guard - Sumo Springs - Cylinder Locks
Sprinkler-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:18 AM   #16

THOR #9084
Our curtain backings are disintegrating and falling apart. I was hoping to replace with something different. Any ideas?
Old 01-10-2020, 05:25 AM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
Our curtain backings are disintegrating and falling apart. I was hoping to replace with something different. Any ideas?
15 posts above yours in this thread are full of ideas.

We took some drapes with thermal backing and sewed them to the remaining panels with the white thermal side pointing out the window. Reflects heat in the summer and helps the coach stay cooler.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:52 PM   #18

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I just learned from a discussion with a new Forum owner on another thread, that they replaced their (new to them) 2013 ACE 29.1 drapes after ordering replacements from this California company I believe:

https://www.garymanufacturing.com/co...s-rv-curtains/

When our curtain liners finally crapped after 5 years the DW purchased quality lining material and just removed old liner and sewed in the new.....works well. I am sure the further South you live/travel the faster these OEM drape liners will fail......unless Thor has changed their source for them.