Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2019, 06:41 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Thor at Caravan Salon 2019

Thor’s Hymer just introduced a Masterline 880 at Caravan Salon. Thor’s CEO Bob Martin was at introduction.

That’s a big motorhome for a Hymer. Maybe Hymer will have a similar influence in North America except with smaller motorhomes.

Assuming it’s 8.8 meters long, that makes it about 29 feet long. The proportions remind me a little of classic GM motorhomes. With Mercedes power maybe they could bring it to US. What do you think? Would Americans actually buy this type of motorhome?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13EB925B-2937-493B-9909-8B38EB09B916.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	19981  

Old 08-31-2019, 10:27 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I suspect there will be some overlap, but I also imagine that Europeans might do things a little differently than we do here, and probably look at 'camping' in a different way than we do.
I also don't know that most Americans will 'swallow' the price for a Mercedes powertrain...

I'm also not sure why a motorhome of that length would need a tandem axle, unless it's somehow required by road laws...
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:26 PM   #3

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post

.....cut.....

I'm also not sure why a motorhome of that length would need a tandem axle, unless it's somehow required by road laws...
My guess is that it’s mostly due to added weight (saw up to 5.5 tonnes in one video, or 12,125 pounds). Previous largest of this model was 7.9 meters, or 26 feet long and has single rear wheels and single rear axle.

Also, these motorhomes are built much lower to ground, so if built longer with single rear axle, the longer rear overhang would make it easier to scrape on driveways, curbs, or wheelbase to hang-up over tracks, etc....

It uses an advanced motorhome-specific chassis, so ride and handling quality should be to German standards (for a motorhome). Regardless, I like the appearance of tandems a lot, although I would want a shorter version anyway which would have a single rear axle.

Short video shows double-floor integrated chassis.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:34 PM   #4

THOR #2121
This is another Hymer/Thor that got much mention on first day of show. It’s only a concept but shows innovative design.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4F0565FA-37DF-4104-A1CD-D4A6E254CDD5.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	20006   Click image for larger version

Name:	5B9D9B0B-FC1D-494C-A300-162C96FF6830.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	20007  

Name:	E0C0FBE3-C5C5-4A6E-B360-02935276707C.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	20008   Click image for larger version

Name:	8C5F728B-9295-4C3F-9225-F9D141C84A41.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	20009  

Old 09-02-2019, 06:49 PM   #5

Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
State: Florida
THOR #15054
Well, other than the fact that this is the motorhome that my wife and I could not find, where we could store all four of our bikes in the basement...this would be perfect for us! Now, that makes the assumption that inside we could configure it with the twin beds that we have on our 24.1. Americans aren't into cycling like the Euro community, and our land/roads are so much more roomy (making hauling/parking large trailers not such a problem); it is doubtful it would have the same market here that it would over there, but I'd still love to see one.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:43 PM   #6

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Well, other than the fact that this is the motorhome that my wife and I could not find, where we could store all four of our bikes in the basement...this would be perfect for us! Now, that makes the assumption that inside we could configure it with the twin beds that we have on our 24.1. Americans aren't into cycling like the Euro community, and our land/roads are so much more roomy (making hauling/parking large trailers not such a problem); it is doubtful it would have the same market here that it would over there, but I'd still love to see one.
I haven’t seen the floorplan for the longer prototype motorhome with tandem rear axles, but the existing production 26-footer with single axle does have Twin/King beds like Axis/Vegas 24.1, except they are elevated to provide space for garage. That’s very typical of Euro motorhomes.

I agree that in larger size, this motorhome probably wouldn’t do well in US market. Don’t know about prototype, but others are built on unique and advanced front wheel drive chassis that wouldn’t be able to tow what Americans often do. For shorter motorhomes not requiring a toad, this chassis has much to offer.

Also, while it’s low profile for better handling and fuel economy, and wider than most Euro motorhomes for added space, it doesn’t have a slide or two. For many in US, a slideless floorplan is a deal breaker.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	57ECC549-5600-4E18-B263-C78F208168CE.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	20031   Click image for larger version

Name:	1CCECC98-E274-49A2-99A1-C2E865BE620F.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	20032  

Name:	7936E9F1-EE5D-4404-8927-7B6492D6B4F8.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	20033  
Old 09-03-2019, 12:57 PM   #7

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I haven’t seen the floorplan for the longer prototype motorhome with tandem rear axles, but the existing production 26-footer with single axle does have Twin/King beds like Axis/Vegas 24.1, except they are elevated to provide space for garage. That’s very typical of Euro motorhomes.

I agree that in larger size, this motorhome probably wouldn’t do well in US market. Don’t know about prototype, but others are built on unique and advanced front wheel drive chassis that wouldn’t be able to tow what Americans often do. For shorter motorhomes not requiring a toad, this chassis has much to offer.

Also, while it’s low profile for better handling and fuel economy, and wider than most Euro motorhomes for added space, it doesn’t have a slide or two. For many in US, a slideless floorplan is a deal breaker.
Do you know the exact model number of that current 26 footer? I'd love to see that one in detail, even if it's not available here.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:31 PM   #8

THOR #2121
I believe it’s the MasterLine 780.

https://www.hymer.com/en/models/moto...tml#schlafraum

Just noticed the jump seat that slides out of a drawer to add to seating around table. What a great idea for a camper van also in order to help keep limited space more open.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0083CF8C-5CBB-4E1D-8407-490648464D53.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	20034  
Old 09-03-2019, 01:41 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
I would purchase the 26ft for the outside door latching hardware alone. Save that photo and see what the Future hardware morphs into....
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:54 PM   #10

THOR #2121
The new 880 appears to be the same basic floorplan with a bit more room.

https://www.hymer.com/hymer-2020_01/...80_790_880.pdf

Here’s more information from press release.

https://www.hymer.com/hymer-2020_01/...erline_880.pdf
Old 09-03-2019, 03:34 PM   #11

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I believe it’s the MasterLine 780.

https://www.hymer.com/en/models/moto...tml#schlafraum

Just noticed the jump seat that slides out of a drawer to add to seating around table. What a great idea for a camper van also in order to help keep limited space more open.
Yep, that would have been her. <<sigh>> Actually, we are thrilled with our 24.1 so far. It would have just been perfect to have the giant interior bike storage, though.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:08 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Can you get it with four slides, outside TVs and Kitchen, Satellite dishes, solar panels, Blu-Rays at every TV...
On a positive note: that's one heckuva big doggie-door in the back corner. I bet that your miniature ponies would fit easily!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:55 PM   #13

THOR #2121
Shared vision as a result of Thor buying Hymer.

From article:

“On working together, the group says the European arm’s expertise in campervan production will be of huge benefit to its US operations while, on this side of the Atlantic, it is the North American’s expertise in slide-out that will be of interest for vehicles built by the Erwin Hymer Group.”

https://rvbusiness.com/thor-hymer-de...caravan-salon/
Old 09-04-2019, 08:09 PM   #14

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
The single tire tandems are no different than dual rear wheel set up as we have here as far as weight management goes. Biggest advantage is they are outbound, inline which allows for a lower COG at the same time and it opens a wider floor space between them. Beds and cabinets can be built over the narrow area used for wheel wells. Not a bad design. I imagine the front rear axle pulls and the rear two are just individual floaters without a connection between them, side to side.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:39 PM   #15

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
The single tire tandems are no different than dual rear wheel set up as we have here as far as weight management goes. Biggest advantage is they are outbound, inline which allows for a lower COG at the same time and it opens a wider floor space between them. Beds and cabinets can be built over the narrow area used for wheel wells. Not a bad design. I imagine the front rear axle pulls and the rear two are just individual floaters without a connection between them, side to side.

If you look at drawing of Hymer advanced chassis above, you’ll see it’s front wheel drive, so rear tandems are not driven. Like on most larger trailers, I think it makes a lot more sense to have twin axles than a single axle with duallies.

I agree it provides better stability due to wider track, lower unsprung mass for better ride, easier maintenance and flat-tire change, and also very important that they can fit four brakes instead of two at rear.

It’s similar design General Motors used in the FWD classic motorhomes built in the 70s which used Olds Tornado FWD engine and transmission. I have recently learned those old GM had issues with hard braking but I suspect German mechanical engineers wouldn’t repeat that flaw.

I personally like the looks of rear single tandems. During hurricane coverage I noticed most larger military trucks also use rear tandem axles with single tires, except all axles are driven for off-road capability.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:02 PM   #16

THOR #11130
..." you’ll see it’s front wheel drive"...

Even more space back there...even better. My first experience as a stupid kid with a motorhome was my dad's GM on the Old's chassis...never knew what he had back them and could have just taken it a few years later before he gave it away...in great shape!Ugly, orange shag carpet but back then it was the cat's meow. One just like it is in the MH Hall of Fame in Illinois near the Thor Universe.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:13 PM   #17

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
..." you’ll see it’s front wheel drive"...

Even more space back there...even better. My first experience as a stupid kid with a motorhome was my dad's GM on the Old's chassis...never knew what he had back them and could have just taken it a few years later before he gave it away...in great shape!Ugly, orange shag carpet but back then it was the cat's meow. One just like it is in the MH Hall of Fame in Illinois near the Thor Universe.
A family member is restoring one now. He completely gutted it and removed front chassis section with engine, transmission, and suspension to rebuild and update with new heads, intake, fuel injection, etc... It’s quite a project but he’s done a great job so far. By the way, the interior with all that carpeting and steel supports weighed a bunch. Even so, the initial total weight wasn’t that high because of the light weight chassis and aluminum body. In my opinion the engineering was very good for a motorhome considering it was over 40 years ago.

To your point, tandem rear axles with wide track and low floor could make a great compact toy hauler in North America. Space between rear wheel wells could even allow driving a small car over the axles so weight doesn’t end up hanging off the back and screwing up handling. Unfortunately, the RAM ProMaster is the only FWD chassis in US and it has low GCWR.

In Europe they use similar designs based on Fiat Ducato for cargo trucks and mini buses in addition to using it for motorhomes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BEB1F53C-397E-43FD-89BB-612E490F4D16.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	20070  
Old 09-05-2019, 01:03 PM   #18
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
****Museum in Elkhart Indiana.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:40 PM   #19

THOR #11130
Toured the facility with my daughter on the "Daddy-Daughter Dance" trip to Wakarusa last December. That unit is gorgeous and the perfect restoration!! I still think it is one of the best MH designs ever!
Old 09-05-2019, 06:34 PM   #20

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Can you get it with four slides, outside TVs and Kitchen, Satellite dishes, solar panels, Blu-Rays at every TV...
On a positive note: that's one heckuva big doggie-door in the back corner. I bet that your miniature ponies would fit easily!
Miniature ponies? Maybe. But I'd sleep a lot better knowing these were inside and not where they are currently!