Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2018, 12:05 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Thor Chateau coach face delamination

I have a 2018 Chateau, only about 8 months old and 10K miles on it. I just noticed that the backside of the coach front walls are becoming delaminated. These are the flat areas behind the cab doors. It looks like there is a fiberglass face, and behind it is some sort of plywood, which is apparently not waterproof. That area gets spray from the front tires when driving in rain, so this looks like a very poor design & construction.

I assume this should be a warranty item, correct? The problem is that none of my local dealers will do warranty work on it since I didn't buy it here.

Anyone else have this problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV coach back.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	10111   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV coach back 1.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	10112  

Name:	RV coach face.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	10118   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV coach back2.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	10119  

Old 05-07-2018, 12:40 AM   #2

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
your photos are confusing, can you explain better
Old 05-07-2018, 11:45 AM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Yes I have had the problem on my 2017 Freedom Elite. I discovered it early before damage of delamination.

There are two trim strips, one each at the bottom. When washing the unit my brush knocked one off on the driver side. I looked under and only one screw had a grip in the plywood sandwich. I filled everything with Marine 4200 sealer and adhesive and put the trim back on. The passenger side trim was loose and it was starting to go so it got the same treatment. So far so good. The problem was I didn't discover any factory sealant on the trim.

So far so good.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #4

THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmetal View Post
your photos are confusing, can you explain better
Yeah, it's kind of hard to describe and a couple of the photos got rotated sideways.

If you look at the flat front area of the coach, right behind the cab's running boards, I'm talking about the backside of that area, which you can see from underneath the coach. It looks like a piece of plywood with some white material on the face of it. I assume the edges of it are supposed to be sealed from the elements, but they apparently were not well sealed so water has caused the plywood to delaminate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rv coach fronta.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	10121   Click image for larger version

Name:	rv coach back3a.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	10122  

Name:	rv coach back.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	10123  
Old 05-07-2018, 02:20 PM   #5

THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Yes I have had the problem on my 2017 Freedom Elite. I discovered it early before damage of delamination.

There are two trim strips, one each at the bottom. When washing the unit my brush knocked one off on the driver side. I looked under and only one screw had a grip in the plywood sandwich. I filled everything with Marine 4200 sealer and adhesive and put the trim back on. The passenger side trim was loose and it was starting to go so it got the same treatment. So far so good. The problem was I didn't discover any factory sealant on the trim.

So far so good.
Thanks for that info. I'm wondering if I can apply some sealer and adhesive and clamp it together, or if it's too far gone and has to be replaced.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
I assume this should be a warranty item, correct? The problem is that none of my local dealers will do warranty work on it since I didn't buy it here.
That's ridiculous damage for a RV that's less then a year old. If you're still under warranty contact Thor about it immediately. Do not do your own repairs as it could void your warranty for those items. Here is how I would handle it. Call and email Thor, include those pictures to document. Tell Thor to refer you to a dealer near you who will do the work. (Preferably NOT Camping World, unless the one near you has an impeccable reputation.)

We purchased our motor home out of state and Thor worked with us to find a dealer who would handle the warranty work. The one we worked with would also not handle work on a unit they didn't sell, but if Thor tells them to do it, they will. Go over every inch of your unit looking for similar type materials in compromising areas that could get wet. Have the dealer document everything you found and ask them to look also. Ask for a replacement of damaged areas, but not with the same materials, or at least waterproofed.

With only a 12 month warranty I'd bet a lot of that goes undetected until after the warranty expires. I generally hate to hear the words lawsuit, but I have seen similar damage of similar materials on other RV's. They're just going to keep building them with crappy material unless someone uses some force to stop them.

One last thing, I would not leave your RV at the dealer. After the initial inspection, make an appointment to have the repairs done and take it with you until repairs have been authorized and the materials are at the dealer.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:15 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
WOW...now I'll be under mine looking to see if this may be an issue for me also. It's a never ending story!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:58 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Jabrabu, If you are out of warranty, the do it yourself fix will work. There is nothing structurally attached to that lower area. I did use clamps over night.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:38 AM   #9

State: Ohio
THOR #6148
Checked my 31W and have same delay issue on the drivers side and suspect passenger side has started. Thank you NOSTICKS for a good solution - mine will get the treatment this week while it’s dry!
Old 05-08-2018, 06:12 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
See this thread on poor weatherization of a Thor coach....It is not just your brand/model that suffers from poor design/construction/build quality....
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...ted-11957.html
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:42 AM   #11

Model: Chateau 31E
THOR #7695
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
See this thread on poor weatherization of a Thor coach....It is not just your brand/model that suffers from poor design/construction/build quality....
My 2017 Chateau 31E is currently in the body shop for the exact same delamination. Dealer said they have seen several of these this year already and Thor authorized immediately to do repairs.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:45 PM   #12

State: England
THOR #11569
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
See this thread on poor weatherization of a Thor coach....
Snip

hi Saddlesore!
Sorry to bother but which thread are you referring to?
Didn't see a link so my apologies in advance if I missed it? !
Sorry for the OPs trouble and interrupting.
This has to be my top 1-2 fears
Old 05-09-2018, 02:54 AM   #13

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
hi Saddlesore!
Sorry to bother but which thread are you referring to?
Didn't see a link so my apologies in advance if I missed it? !
Sorry for the OPs trouble and interrupting.
This has to be my top 1-2 fears
Just follow the hot link, this is about using un-treated plywood for the flooring in the storage bays, also causing de-lamination of the plywood and the attending fiberglass attached to it...
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:39 AM   #14

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I'm sorry to hear this is STILL a problem with class C RV's. My first RV was a 1978 Class C which was 5 years old when I purchased it. It had metal siding over the plywood. The area behind the running boards catch a lot of water and can easily make the plywood swell and separate. Checking all the seals and keeping it well caulked is imperative.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #15

Model: Four Winds 28z
THOR #5725
thanks for giving me something else to do this weekend while at Fort Desoto! Did the roof w/ Eternabond last weekend.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:12 PM   #16

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I strongly suggest that you take the interior trim panel that covers this wall off for a look-see.
just above the area where these photos were taken.
In mine it is an upholstered cushion with buttons. The buttons are simple old fashioned snaps like you'd find on clothing. Under them are screws. very easy....

I discovered a similar think on mine, turned out I had a leak up top that was running down into this little wall. Safe bet that it had been leaking since it left the factory....just a tiny minuscule leak over time....

I sincerely hope you find that yours is only from road spray from below....

the good thing, you are still under warranty. I was not when I discovered mine.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:16 PM   #17

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
looking at the pics again, yours looks different than mine did....mine was more of a rot than a delamination. Still I'd take a look if I were you.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:59 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
That's ridiculous damage for a RV that's less then a year old. If you're still under warranty contact Thor about it immediately. Do not do your own repairs as it could void your warranty for those items. Here is how I would handle it. Call and email Thor, include those pictures to document. Tell Thor to refer you to a dealer near you who will do the work. (Preferably NOT Camping World, unless the one near you has an impeccable reputation.)...
...One last thing, I would not leave your RV at the dealer. After the initial inspection, make an appointment to have the repairs done and take it with you until repairs have been authorized and the materials are at the dealer.
I agree about 217% with this!
Good luck! Please let us know where this journey ends!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:53 AM   #19

State: Montana
THOR #4727
Thor leaking problems

We have a Thor Ace 2015 and have had many leaking problems. All are due to sloppy workmanship and/or cheap materials. The most recent finding was in the rear interior we noticed a wrinkling in the wall paper. I removed the screws holding the ladder and found them all to be rusty with one completely destroyed and the wood rotted out. There was nothing to seal the screws so I am resolving the issue but the damage is done. I won't bore you with all the other leaking issues. A local independent repair shop recommended avoiding anything made by Thor. Too late now!
We do love the layout!
Old 05-15-2018, 01:45 AM   #20

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: Kansas
THOR #11164
motorhome

Hi Lazinskm,

We may have a similar class c and was wondering what your experience has been with your rv. I bought mine used and need to get it updated before we head out for summer. Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Sincerely,

Dave