Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2015, 01:05 AM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arkansas
THOR #1378
Well the saga continues, Thor warranty service is denying the claim for front end work, in particular the toe in/out which is why the steering wheel will not center. I went ahead and paid for a complete alignment, but now I find out that the steering wheel still wont center as "ford" did not put the tie rods in properly and you can not just take the steering wheel off to center you must center the wheels, center the steering and then rebuild the tie-rods and linkage. Thor now says it is fords problem, any guess what ford says???. On the other hand still no action on the generator set, and it appears the dealer can not find an intermittent problem with the furnace system.
On another note: for you ace owners, the leveling system. Does it seem a little jerky to you, it seems like on leg comes down fast then the others come down with some rocking back and forth until level. Is this normal....?
One final question: does anyone know of a good lawyer in the mid-south who would be interested in a Lemon Law, Federal Warranty Case???
ED

Old 01-22-2015, 04:44 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
One thing I did discover with my coach that might complicate your situation is the warranty started as soon as Ford delivered the coach to MorRyde or Thor - which ever one received it first.

I confirmed this when I called Ford Customer Service and found out what the warranty start date was when I first bought the coach.

So that suggests that Thor is not an authorized Ford dealer, but rather an end-user in Ford's eyes.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:08 PM   #63

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Well I guess my buying a leftover model that had sat on dealers lot for a year wasn't great then, from a warranty standpoint.

I understand form ford's perspective..... once it leaves their control and these other companies start welding, drilling, wrenching, and otherwise messing with it...... all bets are off.
From the consumer's perspective though, I would thing the motor coach manufacturer would or should work something out with Ford. The warranty should not start until the consumer takes ownership! Simple logic.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #64

State: North Carolina
THOR #607
Ford had a three year, thirty six thousand mile warranty. Call the service number in your Ford book located in your bag of manuals. They should take care of you.
tmcoc.org
rvbunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:46 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
Well I guess my buying a leftover model that had sat on dealers lot for a year wasn't great then, from a warranty standpoint.

I understand form ford's perspective..... once it leaves their control and these other companies start welding, drilling, wrenching, and otherwise messing with it...... all bets are off.
From the consumer's perspective though, I would thing the motor coach manufacturer would or should work something out with Ford. The warranty should not start until the consumer takes ownership! Simple logic.
The first thing that happens - before the RV is built - is the Class C coaches go to MorRyde (not sure about the Class A chassis), and they cut it in two and extend the frame. I am sure that does something to the warranty as well.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:59 PM   #66

THOR #908
Yeah, I could be wrong but i don't think my frame was cut, but it was welded on and like drilled quite a bit to add the extension....
Same difference though.
Seems like a coach nanufacturer would either verify their process an design through Ford, OR extend the warranty themselves.....
But sadly just like with QC, it just doesn't matter.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:59 AM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
Yeah, I could be wrong but i don't think my frame was cut, but it was welded on and like drilled quite a bit to add the extension....
Same difference though.
Seems like a coach manufacturer would either verify their process an design through Ford, OR extend the warranty themselves.....
But sadly just like with QC, it just doesn't matter.
I am pretty sure your coach was cut in two - most of them are. I think only the 22E and 23U coaches are not cut.

Ford offers three different wheelbases for the E350/E450: 138", 158", and 176". the 22E and 23U are on 158" wheelbases but the other coaches do not have a standard (i.e Ford) wheelbase.

For example, the wheelbase for your coach is 223", which is longer than the longest wheelbase Ford offers, so I am sure they cut it in two and added a section between the front and rear wheels, including extending the drive shaft, brake lines, etc.

If you look under your coach, you will probably see a two piece drive shaft (mine is also a two piece driveshaft). My coach has a 212" wheelbase and I know for sure they cut it to lengthen the wheel base.

Thor does not do this as they are not certified to do so. They have Mor/Ryde do it as they specialize in that process, and do it for most brands. I think there are only one or two Class C manufacturers certified by Ford to extend the coaches.

Mor/Ryde does balance the drive shafts though.

They most likely also add a rear extension.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:21 AM   #68

THOR #908
Well, it seems like you know what you're talking about. I know that there is a significant extension BEHIND the Ford frame.... I guess I just didn't notice an extension mid frame..... wasn't looking for it.
I did notice that the drive shaft is junky looking...... completely passivated with surface rust. I was surprised by this and have asked several folks if this is normal.... of course I've never had the ear of someone that knows. I'm guessing then, that its NOT a ford shaft. Now this makes sense!

You indicated that Morryde is Certified by Ford to do this work? Then I would almost think the warranty wouldn't start until at least after their work..... but as a type it that seems like such an assumption.....

Thanks for teaching me something today!
Old 01-23-2015, 02:34 AM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
One of the advantages I guess of visiting the Thor plant.

All I can go on is what I found out from Ford Customer Service - that the warranty started when the van was delivered - presumably to Mor/Ryde.

I don't know if they added an extension to the Ford shaft or not. But mine is a 2 piece shaft with a bearing block in the middle which is supported by the frame. I presumed one piece was the original shaft, but I don't know that for sure.

Ah yes, a protective layer of rust.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:55 PM   #70

State: Arkansas
THOR #1378
Well Thor Does not Help The Dealer stood Goog

Well the front end was way messed up Toe in/Caster/Camber and the Pitman arm all needed to be adjusted to get the front end to align. The Dealer:Camping World of North Little Rock made good on the repairs. IN fact the fixed everone of my complaints, found one of their own and will take care of that on my next visit. Thor still refuses to warranty they want more documentation, the before and after alignment printout, which they have already gotten 2x so far. The Thor customer service rep has disappeared maybe I was mean when I demanded they pay for the repairs the cover per their policy. Oh WEll.
I got the unit home, drives like a dream. So nice this is what I wanted in the first place so
Thanks to Camping World North Little Rock Arkansas Great JOB Well done
Old 01-31-2015, 03:08 PM   #71

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Mississippi
THOR #827
My experience was just the opposite. Camping World in Alabama where I bought my ACE gave me all kinds of grief and excuses for the poor handling. They refused to help me in any way except to say "check your tire pressures". Thor was right there and very supportive, however they did tell me that they doubted I would find any problems with the alignment. When I informed Thor the technician found the toe was bad and that I was lucky to be alive driving the motor home from New Orleans to Ohio they quickly reimbursed me for after I supplied them with my documentation.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:29 AM   #72

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
Keep after Thor to pay for the alignment. Mine was toe out 5/8" and wore the rt front tire on the inside in only 3200 miles. In the end the dealer I bought it from covered the alignment, wheel balancing and mount/dismounting for 2 out of round tire I had to have replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eengstrom54 View Post
Well the front end was way messed up Toe in/Caster/Camber and the Pitman arm all needed to be adjusted to get the front end to align. The Dealer:Camping World of North Little Rock made good on the repairs. IN fact the fixed everone of my complaints, found one of their own and will take care of that on my next visit. Thor still refuses to warranty they want more documentation, the before and after alignment printout, which they have already gotten 2x so far. The Thor customer service rep has disappeared maybe I was mean when I demanded they pay for the repairs the cover per their policy. Oh WEll.
I got the unit home, drives like a dream. So nice this is what I wanted in the first place so
Thanks to Camping World North Little Rock Arkansas Great JOB Well done
Old 02-12-2015, 07:44 PM   #73

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
I wonder how many Thor plant employees own their own product? Go Hoosers.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:45 AM   #74

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
I just filled out my Thor questioner! Do not think they will be placing that one their wall of Fame!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:25 AM   #75

State: Texas
THOR #1454
Ain't this a hoot! We took delivery of our 2015 Miramar on Dec 31st. It is now Feb 25 and we have had possession of the RV about 12 days. The problems just keep coming, one after another. This is our first motorhome. Camping World in New Braunfels, Texas has dealt with us about as fairly as they can, I believe. They are backed up with warranty work so far that it takes days and weeks just to get it into the shop, then they diagnose the problem(s) and order parts, and the game goes on and on. One thing for sure - I will probably not purchase another Thor product. This has not been a pleasant experience.

sandaj - Canyon Lake, Texas
Old 02-26-2015, 04:32 AM   #76

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #1599
Well crap.......That is where I purchased my "15 Hurricane 34E.....Although so far my problems have been minimal, I took delivery knowing the awning did not work!....parts on order! They gave me this song and dance about being an Elite member since I purchased the coach from them, and I would get priority service on warranty work!! LOL, so much for that I guess!!!
Old 02-26-2015, 07:34 PM   #77

THOR #970
Mine was in the shop for 6 weeks waiting on parts recently for small warranty work, before that has spent another 3 weeks in the shop before they even test drove it..plus several days taking it to tire dealers, Ford approved shop to replace ac compressor and such. IS not like buying a new car and getting the nice treatment from the dealer.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:33 PM   #78

Model: Tuscany XTE
State: California
THOR #2511
Unhappy Quality Control Revelation

I thought our experience with our 2015 Tuscany XTE was terrible until I started to read this thread and discovered that other people's experience was even worse. We had 14 issues that we discovered during 2 shakedown trips (although it seems that every time we take the rig out we discover additional problems). Some issues e.g. cracked floor tile, broken window sun shade and faulty bed lift supports are understandable, even acceptable; but other issues such as a poorly installed and splitting veneer wall panel, scratched and stained fridge doors, kitchen drawers that have been so badly installed that they barely shut, external coach areas that were not even painted, a side awning that won't latch when closed and a shelf that collapsed when an item that weighed less than 5 pounds was placed on it, raises serious quality control issues. I suspect that Thor is well aware of their subpar quality control, but they consider it a small price to pay in order to maintain an acceptable level of cash flow i.e. sell the product, get paid and make repairs later. What they have failed to take in to account is that people that have purchased their product will relate their experience to potential customers who probably will decide to purchase a rig from another manufacturer thereby adversely impacting Thor's long term cash flow expectations and company viability. As someone previously stated, the situation with the entire RV industry, and Thor in particular, is reminiscent of the U.S. auto industry in the 1980's, and we know how that ended.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:35 PM   #79

THOR #970
Welcome to the unwelcome club!
Old 10-25-2015, 05:29 PM   #80

THOR #1454
Our situation has not gotten any better on the Miramar 32.1. We just had the main slide out motor replaced. This is the third slide out problem we have had with this RV. In 10 months of ownership, we have made about 6 trips with a total of approx 6k miles. It has been in one shop or another for approx 5 of the 10 months. It is to the point to where I'm almost afraid to take off in it. We are precariously balanced between invoking the lemon law or hoping most of the problems have already happened.

Thor, or at least our now first name basis Thor representative has been doing everything he can to get our RV repaired as quickly as possible, and we have not been out any out of pocket money.....yet. But that all changes when our one year warranty is over in late December. I have to make a decision quickly regarding which way we go.

One thing is for sure, this is not what we expected when we started on this adventure.