Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2017, 07:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Daybreak 22 GOC (aka 22E)
State: Alberta
THOR #7302
Question Thor Freedom Elite 23H Wheel Jacks??

I arrived home with my new to me 2014 Freedom Elite 23H built on a Chevy chassis. The trip from Daytona Beach FL to Northern Alberta Canada was 3000 miles and average 9 mpg (US gallons). Over 6 nights on the road everything worked better than advertised. My rig has passed through 5 individuals or dealers along the way and came 7300 miles on it when I got it. So I am not blaming Camping World, Thor, or the used car dealer I bought it from for missing items.

There is no owners manual for this RV (there is one for an ACE!!) and a bunch of operational brochures for accessories. Is there such a thing for the Freedom Elite? Thor has yet to respond.

My RV came with no spare and I could not find any with the 2017 and `18s at Camping Worlds I stopped at on my way home. So I ordered a wheel and tire from my Chevy dealer. I suspect the wheel is supposed to fit in the well in the cargo bin, but it would be too heavy to lift out, so I bought a bumper mount, and will install it there when it arrives next week.

What jacks are folks using, and where are the jack points for changing a tire on these class c's on the road? I am enroute to Alaska and Yukon for a month and it is foolish to travel without a jack and tire iron, but what is the correct one for these Class C RVs? A bumper jack? A bottle jack? a trolley jack, or a scissor jack? What type of tire iron do you need to get those fake chrome hubcaps off?

Rocky

Old 05-13-2017, 07:32 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky49
there is one for an ACE!!
Yeah have you looked at it? There isn't much of value in there: All the Thor's get the same very generic owner's manual that doesn't spell out much if anything.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:40 PM   #3

THOR #7302
So what kind of jack came with your motorhome?

So Jamie, I understand the wad of booklets for the various installed components but I am looking for a few RV specific bits of information like where stuff is for winterizing? and where the jack points are?

So what type of Jack came with your class A? OR DID THOR NOT INCLUDE ONE?

Rocky
Old 05-13-2017, 10:09 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
No jack, no spare on Axis/Vegas units (I don't think any of Thor's Class A's come with either a jack or a spare).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:40 AM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
If your coach has auto leveling no Jack is needed, just push the up button. They don't put spares in those coaches due to being too heavy for most folks & no storage for them. Between the spare & a couple 8-12 ton bottle jacks you've used up a big chunk of your payload.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:50 PM   #6

THOR #7302
Question Jacks and Jack Points on Freedom Elite Small Class Cs

Fortunately or Unfortunately there is no self leveling system on the Freedom Elite small class Cs the 22, 23 or 26 and I don't think it was an option. So anyone out there got a flat tire on the road with a small Freedom Elite, Chateau or Four Winds? Where did you or the wrecker jack? What did they use to lift the RV?

My wife spent her first night in the RV in our driveway last night and is off to Walmart for essential supplies she feels we need on the trip to Alaska and Yukon next weekend Our town is not enlightened and won't allow RV camping in mall lots, yet the local campgrounds don't open for another week.

Rocky
in Northern Alberta
Old 05-14-2017, 08:11 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
If you are thinking of changing your own tire, don't forget a 4' long breaker bar to overcome the lug bolt torque.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:35 AM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
We have a 2016 Thor Vegas. I have 3 different roadside assistance plans. I still carry a spare, 6 ton bottle Jack, blocks and big breaker bar for lugs.

I went to Ford oem parts to see what is normally supplied for chassis.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:29 AM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I bought a spare for my Freedom Elite 26HE and carry it on a hitch mounted carrier. Thor does offer a spare and rear wall mount on some of its class C's but when I contacted them about whether the supporting structure is in the wall even if the spare tire was not ordered I was told that it is NOT provided unless he spare is factory installed. Apparently one of the ways Camping World keeps costs down on the Freedom Elite models is to leave off this option. Thor also advised me NOT to carry a spare on the bumper because it is not strong enough. That is why I purchased a hitch mounted carrier. I do not carry a jack or tire changing tools. I will call roadside assistance to change the tire but I feel a lot better having my own spare.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:33 AM   #10

THOR #7302
What model spare tire carrier did you buy?

Glad to here you found a hitch carrier that works! How about sharing the Manufacturer, and Model and source? I have tried a couple of models that mount on the bumper and they are too flimsy or just plain small to take the 8 bolt Chevy Wheel and LT225/75R16 Grabber tire. I have seen Roadmaster hitch mounted tire carriers but they want $800 Canadian and would have to special order the beast.

Rocky
Old 05-16-2017, 12:28 PM   #11

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
The one I selected is the Roadmaster 195225. It is quite expensive at $500 but it is extremely well made and has some very useful and convenient features. It should last about forever and is easily transferred to another RV if I ever decide to upgrade,I'm well pleased with it
Old 08-06-2017, 09:27 PM   #12

Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Colorado
THOR #8675
Bottle jack placement

Rocky49 do you have the owners manual for your Chevy truck? I have a 2017 Freedom Elite 23H with a Ford E450, in the owners manual it shows using a bottle jack and the placement.