Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2015, 05:30 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEHetzer View Post
......I stopped at a tire shop and had them pressurize my tires to the pressure levels recommended by Thor (label next to driver under window). The astounding. I could easily control the RV at highway speeds and driving actually became fun.

I picked up my shiny new Hurricane in Melbourne, FL and started my drive home to CA, (after staying at Disneyworld for five days). It wasn't until Tallahassee off the 10Hwy that I decided that I should check the tire air pressure! Heck, I just took delivery of a brand new motorhome, of course the tire pressure would be to specification!!

It's AMAZING how much better a motorhome feels with the proper tire pressure!!

Old 12-10-2015, 03:42 PM   #22

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
curtains self destructing

At 12,000 miles my curtain are falling apart. The liners are self destructing leaving bits all over the place. I have to cut the liners out and find someone to sew in new ones. Never seen anything like this! This is just from sitting.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:19 PM   #23
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by petef
At 12,000 miles my curtain are falling apart. The liners are self destructing leaving bits all over the place. I have to cut the liners out and find someone to sew in new ones. Never seen anything like this! This is just from sitting.
Yup ours did the same: UV damage (in our case) from leaving the unit parked with the curtains closed. Now when in storage I cover the front windows with foil instead of using the curtains.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:29 PM   #24

Model: Hurricane 27k
State: Arkansas
THOR #1759
Send a message via Skype™ to PEHetzer
Buying a new Hurricane? - some considerations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacrosie View Post
Hello all,

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Thor Hurricane 27k. Getting nervous too.

Rosemary
I purchased a 27k several months ago and I have to warn you about a few items before you leave the dealership.
1. Have them check and assure that every tile is inflated to the pressure recommended by the label located on the wall directly under the driver's side window.
2. Have them tighten the front sway bar to is highest position.

3. Beware of the pull-out pantry cabinet next to the refrigerator. If both latches (top and bottom) are not properly working then the door of this cabinet will pop open and slam into the cabinet door next to the bathroom.

4. Have them physically show you where the hot water bypass valves are located and what you must do to access them.

5. Have them physically show you how to drain your fresh water tank.

6. As soon as you can arrange it, have a shop check the RV's wheel alignment and tire balance.

My experience the first time that I drove my new RV was a white knuckled one from Kansas City to Eureka Springs, Arkansas. I didn't understand what I didn't know and had to learn the hard way. I have made several more minor modifications and would share them. Presently, we are enjoying our RV, but I've had to developed a new definition for what an RV truely is. Definition of an RV; "A hobby on wheels". Good luck.... Paul
Old 12-10-2015, 10:59 PM   #25

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
You've gotten really good advise. If you decided on your floor plan your price tag looked solid.

Only thing I would absolutely underscore - do a solid inspection using a good checklist before the checks change hands. The tendency is to fall in love with your new coach and to accept things that aren't operating correctly. Make sure your dealer understands your approach and that you are going to insist on the fixes. Our first time we didn't and we regretted the experience. We filmed our inspection - most sales people do not how to operate all the bells and whistles in your new coach. Quite honestly you won't be able to get it all anyways. Come back here or to other forums (like IRV2). Lots of experience and expertise - I call them knowledge knots. These knots are gained each time you cannot get something to work right and then you really screw it up by "fixin" it.

Biggest thing - enjoy - we sure do.

PS: The comments about the 1 year warranty being the workout period for the kinks is spot on (IMO).
Old 12-11-2015, 12:08 AM   #26

THOR #970
I had the dealer put an external latch on that pantry door as it came flying out and busted up the opposite door the first 1/4 mile of leaving the dealer. Thor sent me a new door.
I have had to fix so much stuff I feel like I bought a renovation home.. good thing I am kind of handy.. Don't forget that little drawer on the second step, it will come flying out so find a latch for it also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lock on pantry.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	1147  
Old 12-11-2015, 04:29 PM   #27

THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by petef View Post
I had the dealer put an external latch on that pantry door as it came flying out and busted up the opposite door the first 1/4 mile of leaving the dealer. Thor sent me a new door.
I have had to fix so much stuff I feel like I bought a renovation home.. good thing I am kind of handy.. Don't forget that little drawer on the second step, it will come flying out so find a latch for it also.
What brand latch is that? I haven't had the problem yet but would like to be proactive.

Does anyone have a fix for the bedroom door coming off the tracks. I was leaving a gas station and the coached rocked back and forth and the door came off the tracks. I'll be looking at it this weekend after I install a reflex steering stabilizer.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #28

Model: A.C.E. 27.1
State: Texas
THOR #2240
Hi,
For the Pantry door I used one of these:
Shop Gatehouse 1-1/2-in Door Latch at Lowes.com
Or might of been the 2 1/2" version...
And this for the step draw:
Shop Sugatsune Magnetic Cabinet Latch at Lowes.com
Sorry, not had a problem with the bedroom slide door yet..... touch wood.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #29

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295

Name:	image (2).jpeg
Views:	231
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1151

Easy fix - $5.00 at Menards!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #30

THOR #2544
Thanks I will stop at Lowes on the way home.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:53 PM   #31

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Pantry Latch

Not sure about the Hurricane but we had the same problem on our Challenger - put on a J Latch on the inside. It has not come open in 10,000 miles + and the DW now needs two hands to open.

Here is a listing from CW.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	JLatch.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1153  
Old 12-12-2015, 08:13 PM   #32

THOR #970
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
What brand latch is that? I haven't had the problem yet but would like to be proactive.

Does anyone have a fix for the bedroom door coming off the tracks. I was leaving a gas station and the coached rocked back and forth and the door came off the tracks. I'll be looking at it this weekend after I install a reflex steering stabilizer.
I did not see a brand on it, here is what it looks like unlocked.

as for the bedroom door, I have a thick cardboard between the doors and bathroom wall to keep them from rattling and keep a bungee cord hooked to the first cabinet nearest the bathroom door and wraps to the bedroom wall next to the bathroom. I put a hook there to latch it to.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture0005.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	1156  
Old 06-11-2017, 08:12 PM   #33

State: South Carolina
THOR #6691
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
If you are concerned about fuel mileage, buy a ScanGauge E, ScanGauge II, Garmin EcoRouteHD, or similar unit. For the most part, they are plug-and-play (they plug into the engine's diagnostic port), and allow you to monitor your fuel mileage. They are typically in the $100~200 range.

Strange thing happened to my gas mileage last summer. On my monitor, I was getting a solid 10MPG on my coach. But when I installed two Fan-Tanstic vent covers (they are larger than most), I am now only getting around 9.5MPG.

If this change is accurate, the wind resistance of two vents lowered my fuel mileage 5%.
I hope your vent covers louvers are facing to the rear. Just checking.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:29 PM   #34
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter
I hope your vent covers louvers are facing to the rear. Just checking.
At this point his mileage is all different: He has a 5th wheel now.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
27k, hurricane