Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2017, 02:47 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
towable storage

Since these new RUV's have very little storage for long trips and towing a toad is sketchy, has anyone considered a small trailer. Just a small motor cycle trailer will double the storage. I have been looking for something a little larger. Maybe 50 - 60 cubic ft. Room for a spare tire, luggage, camping gear, whatever. It would also have to be low enough so not to interfere with the rear slide. Any ideas? I cant seem to find a thing.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:07 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
.....cut..... It would also have to be low enough so not to interfere with the rear slide. Any ideas? I cant seem to find a thing.
Wouldn't a typical trailer tongue length set the trailer box far back enough to clear the rear slide? As long as the slide doesn't extend more than about 3 feet or so I don't see why it would hit most compact trailers. Sorry if I'm not understanding your concern correctly.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:16 AM   #3

THOR #2121
I expect you're thinking of a trailer similar to this U-Haul, which is rated at 45 cubic feet. Just a little larger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5089.PNG
Views:	142
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	5093  
Old 05-31-2017, 03:29 AM   #4

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
THOR #4443
I pulled a 6x4 foot trailer many times with my Axis 25.2. The trailer tongue is long enough not to impede the extending rear slide. A 6x4 enclosed trailer is only around 6 feet tall.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:41 AM   #5

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I expect you're thinking of a trailer similar to this U-Haul, which is rated at 45 cubic feet. Just a little larger.
Yes, thats about what I am thinking of just a little bigger. I have searched on the computer and haven't found a source of small trailers other than the small motor cycle type. I may swing by a U-Haul and check one of these out for size and maybe I will know a little more about what I am looking for. Another issue I have is the ability to move it easily by hand. Over the years I have seen small trailers but at the time had no interest in them. I think a small box trailer would be too heavy to move easily. I'm not a spring chicken any more.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:31 AM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Check Craigslist, you'll probably find a hundred like what you're looking for, maybe even a cheap used one!
Old 05-31-2017, 12:25 PM   #7

THOR #2121
Quote:
Yes, thats about what I am thinking of just a little bigger. I have searched on the computer and haven't found a source of small trailers other than the small motor cycle type. I may swing by a U-Haul and check one of these out for size and maybe I will know a little more about what I am looking for. Another issue I have is the ability to move it easily by hand. Over the years I have seen small trailers but at the time had no interest in them. I think a small box trailer would be too heavy to move easily. I'm not a spring chicken any more.
I can relate to your need, and the limited options that may work all around.

If you look at specs for small aluminum trailers, which should weigh equal or less than molded fiberglass, even the smallest trailers like the Aluma (expensive by the the way) is 340 pounds empty. When loaded you may be close to 1,000 pounds which may make it difficult to move except on level pavement or concrete.

https://www.alumaklm.com/enclosed-tr...closed-trailer

Depending on how much excess load capacity you have left on your motorhome, and how much weight you plan to carry in trailer, you may want to also consider a hitch-mounted enclosed cargo box. They make many sizes (some are huge) and that way you wouldn't have to move it around. It also makes backing up easier. Downside is that it has to stay on throughout a given trip, and may affect handling a little if heavily loaded.

Because we have zero outside storage, that's the option we use. It's a small plastic enclosed and lockable box that works great for us. I just wish it was a lot larger, but back when I got it, it was the largest I could find at a reasonable price.

There are various companies that make enclosed hitch cargo carriers often used with SUVs and vans, so some have a swing-away supporting frame to allow rear doors to open. That design usually adds some cost, and limits cargo weight.

The largest I've seen specifically built for motorhomes attach directly to frame rails which adds capacity and stability. On smaller RVs like yours weight may still be an issue.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:17 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Here you go

https://www.trailersuperstore.com/sh...ggage-trailer/

and here is another

https://contechtrailers.com/products...ant=6495980484
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:05 AM   #9

THOR #6701
Still looking. Thanks for the ideas but I guess a physical look will be required. The perfect trailer would be aluminum 4' X 6' X 2.5' with 15inch wheels. Might require 2 inch drop axle and piston assisted lid and front mounted tire carrier. So a custom built $2000 trailer would probably cost 4 grand.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:32 AM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Still looking. Thanks for the ideas but I guess a physical look will be required. The perfect trailer would be aluminum 4' X 6' X 2.5' with 15inch wheels. Might require 2 inch drop axle and piston assisted lid and front mounted tire carrier. So a custom built $2000 trailer would probably cost 4 grand.
Not 15" wheels but everything else:

https://www.trailersuperstore.com/sh...gage-trailers/
Old 06-02-2017, 08:12 PM   #11

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Not 15" wheels but everything else:

https://www.trailersuperstore.com/sh...gage-trailers/
That one needs to be considered. On the flat my slide will clear it by 4" if the tongue isn't long enough. Maybe I can locate one somewhere to view it. Don't think they have dealers around.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:35 PM   #12

THOR #2121
Quote:
That one needs to be considered. On the flat my slide will clear it by 4" if the tongue isn't long enough. Maybe I can locate one somewhere to view it. Don't think they have dealers around.
Yeah, that's a nice one.

If the tongue isn't quite long enough (looks long enough to me), you could move the ball back a little also (granted not normally best choice, but trailer is so small and light it should work fine). Extensions come in many lengths.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:16 PM   #13

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
Maybe one of those trailer hitch carriers and/or a car top carrier on the roof. I plan to put a cartop carrier on the roof for the "Just in case" stuff.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:59 PM   #14

THOR #6701
I think I have fond the perfect trailer for my needs. Not aluminum like i wanted but everything else matches. A little pricier than I wanted but thats normal. My wants are cheap but reality isn't. For anyone else in need of a nice all around utility trailer check out Space Trailers. Made in the U S in several configurations so it isn't just a small trailer for odds and ends when traveling but will also work around the house. I plan on looking at them in Bend OR hopefully this month.