Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2015, 12:18 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: New York
THOR #1638
thor hurricane 27k

Hello all,

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Thor Hurricane 27k. Getting nervous too.

I have a starting deal of $82,500 for an actual 2016 which I would pick up in May. Is this a good deal? Should I negotiate further? Is it a good motorhome? Can you tell I'm nervous?

Any and all responses are greatly appreciated. I have to make a decision soon. How's the gas mileage REALLY? I don't believe sales people unfortunately.

Thanks all.

Rosemary

Old 03-04-2015, 06:16 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Thing is, there is a lot of competition in this category (< 30ft class As)... have you looked at similar coaches from the other brands?

For example... last fall at the Hershey RV show, I saw a Newmar 2707 for about the same price.

I'm gonna guess 8~10MPG, depending on your driving habits and how much stuff you fill the coach with.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:43 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacrosie
Any and all responses are greatly appreciated. I have to make a decision soon. How's the gas mileage REALLY? I don't believe sales people unfortunately.
Our sales person told us we could get 14 mpg in our Axis!? My response was something to the effect of "Really? This will be our 3rd V-10 and the other two only got 11 mpg and were MUCH smaller" only a little more polite (our other two V-10s were pickups).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
If you are concerned about fuel mileage, buy a ScanGauge E, ScanGauge II, Garmin EcoRouteHD, or similar unit. For the most part, they are plug-and-play (they plug into the engine's diagnostic port), and allow you to monitor your fuel mileage. They are typically in the $100~200 range.

Strange thing happened to my gas mileage last summer. On my monitor, I was getting a solid 10MPG on my coach. But when I installed two Fan-Tanstic vent covers (they are larger than most), I am now only getting around 9.5MPG.

If this change is accurate, the wind resistance of two vents lowered my fuel mileage 5%.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:35 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: New York
THOR #1638
I really haven't looked at other ones. This one so caught my eye. Do you think Thor is a good company? Well made product???
Old 03-04-2015, 01:45 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
I'll let others that own a Hurricane comment further.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:46 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacrosie
I really haven't looked at other ones. This one so caught my eye. Do you think Thor is a good company? Well made product???
Personally I think Thor is about the same as any other RV manufacturer: pretty bad. If you search around any manufacturer forum (including this one) you'll find many people with many RV problems.
You have to be very thorough and vigilant: carefully inspect your new RV before, during, and after delivery. When going through the initial PDI (predelivery inspection) with the dealer make them run everything turn every knob, switch every switch, run the engine, run the genny, flush the toilets, run the sinks, run it with shore water, run with with the internal pump, have them start the fridge the day before so you can see its cold, run the slides in/out several times, etc.
The more thorough you are then and the more items you get the dealer to fix first the less hassle's you get later on.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:53 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
If this is your first motorhome, you might want to consider used. Even a two year old coach can be had for many thousands less... depending on your negotiation skills.

There is a huge markup on RVs. If you are not getting at least 25% off MSRP, it's not even a moderate deal.

One advantage for first timers buying used is if you find you made the wrong decision - from an incompatible (to your lifestyle) floorplan, to the eventual quality you find, you can probably unload a used one a lot easier. If you have a loan on it, you'd be more likely in the bucket trying to unload a new one than a used one.

Thing is, RVs, boats, etc. tend to depreciate as much as 20~30% in the first two years. I remember the depreciation rule of thumb for boats was 30% in the first two years, and 5% per year thereafter. So far, in my experience, it seems to hold for RVs as well.

I bought my coach in 2013; it was a 2011 with 5,800 miles on it, with absolutely no wear on it. I got it for 30% less than a new one (based on the best prices at RV shows).
Old 03-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
....But when I installed two Fan-Tanstic vent covers (they are larger than most), I am now only getting around 9.5MPG.

If this change is accurate, the wind resistance of two vents lowered my fuel mileage 5%.

Did you mount them backwards, as air scoops?
Old 03-04-2015, 07:38 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
Did you mount them backwards, as air scoops?
Sloping part towards the front, right?
Old 03-04-2015, 08:05 PM   #11

THOR #937
Quote:
I'll let others that own a Hurricane comment further.
I specifically purchased a new "entry level" Hurricane because I really liked the floorplan, (34E for the kids and I), the price was ridiculously good, (after receiving bids from dealerships all over the country), and I like absolutely new, never lived-in RVs.

I have had some minor issues covered under warranty with the 2014 Hurricane, my third motorhome. The biggest things were the slide mechanisms for the drop-down bunk that were replaced, and the entry steps. I had trivial things like the jewel logo sticker near the entry door, an air mattress, and curtains replaced. But no big plumbing, electrical, woodwork, chassis, or appliance issues commonly found on these RV message boards, (I just knocked on some wood).

However, I have had much bigger issues with other brands of motorhomes, (Fleetwood, and Winnebago) during their warranty period. The Winnebago Vista has it's transmission replaced. The Fleetwood Pace Arrow needed extensive kitchen cabinet work, and a new rear cap, (that almost fell off hundreds of miles from anywhere).

The entire RV industry relies on the warranty period to get everything straight, with all brands, all models, all types of RVs.

If you enjoy having something absolutely new, understand depreciation, and do not mind working out the kinks yourself, or scheduling warranty work, then a new motorhome is for you.

If you want to forego the biggest depreciation hit, and want everything working, buy a used one or two year old RV, (this applies to ALL, not just motorhomes).
Old 03-04-2015, 08:10 PM   #12

THOR #937
Quote:
Sloping part towards the front, right?
Yes, you are correct. I'm just kidding! Couldn't resist.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:36 PM   #13

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Nice one Beacher!

THOR sucks! The quality of the Hurricane is poor at best! You will find so many examples of poor quality and shoddy workmanship you will be so frustrated and disappointed! If you expect this and are OK with the coach being at the dealership for weeks waiting for warranty work to be done, or if you are like me and fix things yourself, then go for it!

For example, I just noticed today the seal around the furnace is gone and the gap is totally open to rain - now I have to seal this. Argggggg!!

People say they are all they same - perhaps! So sad if this is true!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:20 PM   #14

Model: windsport 27k
State: Florida
THOR #1140
Hi that is not a bad price for 2016 27k. I would check with rv direct.com first. As far as problems they all have no mater how much you pay. We love out 2015 wind sport.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:39 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #1226
We have a Hurricane 27K and love it. The quality is good and lots of feature we wanted. The King size bed allows our dog to sleep with us. The Ford 365 hp has lots of power, handles great and on our first tank full of gas we got 11.1 mpg. Outside storage is good but inside is lacking for dishes, pots and pans. The oven takes up that space for storage but the DH won't give up her oven.

Shop around and see what else the other RVs offer and once you make up your mind then deal. Any RV could be a lemon and some people just like to gripe. The deal you have on the 27K sounds good.

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:27 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
Yes, you are correct. I'm just kidding! Couldn't resist.
One man's vent cover is another man's hood scoop...
Old 03-05-2015, 11:01 AM   #17

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Love it FW28Z!!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:44 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
I always have time for humor...
Old 04-16-2015, 02:19 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 27k
State: Arkansas
THOR #1759
Send a message via Skype™ to PEHetzer
Smile We took the leap

We took the leap of faith and purchased a new 2014 Hurricane (27k) for $79,900. After looking at different RV models, We decided on the 27k because it seemed perfect for just the two of us. When we started to look around for an available unit, we discovered that the 30ft RV's did not stay listed for sale very long. We were on the RV lot when we picked up our RV and while we were there they apparently sold 5 more RV.
We just returned from our first trip (2000 miles) and have determined that our choice was a good one. There are some cautions that I would give to you based on my own experiences.

1. The information that comes with the Thor 27k is minimal. The information that I received was generic and not specific to the RV that we purchased.

2. Have the technician flag the different valves with a piece of ribbon so that you can find them again. here is a list of valves that you need to identify.
a. The black and grey water tanks. (these are easy to find)
b. The fresh water drain valves. (located on either side of the
fresh water pump.) These do not look like valves.
c. The hot water by-pass valves. (These valves are not easy to
find and they have specific positions for proper operation of
the hot water tank. DO NOT OPERATE YOUR HOT WATER TANK
UNTIL YOU CHECK THESE VALVES FOR PROPER POSITION OR
YOU MAY DAMAGE YOUR HOT WATER TANK.)

3. When I first drove my RV, it was difficult to control the steering
at highway speeds (55-60 mph). I recommend that you insist on having your new RV wheel alignment checked by the dealer.The dealer will most likely have to send the RV to a truck body shop to have the alignment checked. (estimated cost $125).

4. After I had the alignment checked (discovered that the toe-in alignment was not properly set) I discovered that controlling the RV was better, but not as good as I would have liked. I stopped at a tire shop and had them pressurize my tires to the pressure levels recommended by Thor (label next to driver under window). The astounding. I could easily control the RV at highway speeds and driving actually became fun.

5. Bring a small set of tools. We discovered a few things that needed tightning adter we started our trip. Here is what we discovered.
1. The bathroom door handle became loose. Need phillips head
screw driver to tighten.
2. The windshield arm on passenger side came loose and almost
fell off during a hartd rain storm. The cap nut holding the arm
to the drive spline came loose. Re-positioned the arm and
tightened cap nut with 8" adjustable wrench. I would check
at the dealer before you drive off of the lot.
3. I added magnetic latches to the over-head bin doors that are
directly over the eating area. The kept opening during our trip.

Over all, We have enjoyed our first trip and we are looking forward to our next trip. If you would like, you could contact me at 515-897-0609 to talk to us about the other experiences that we have had with or RV.

Paul & Tatyana Hetzer
Old 04-16-2015, 04:49 PM   #20

Model: windsport 27k
State: Florida
THOR #1140
Hi That is a good price for a 2016 27k

Tags
27k, hurricane