Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2020, 03:50 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Thor Launches Hymer USA

Interesting interview with Thor CEO regarding launch of new Hymer USA. Below are a couple of comments that stood out.

https://rvbusiness.com/thor-industri...idiary-in-ind/

“So, rather than take a European product and build it the way we do here — we build them more like a home in the States whereas EHG’s are more automotive in terms of cabinetry and things like that — we thought we’d adapt more of their products and building practices.”

and

“Some of our existing companies will probably have similar products, but these Hymer USA lines will be built exactly the way they build them in Germany.”

And from Hymer USA website,

https://www.hymer.com/us/en

“At HYMER USA, we're introducing world-leading quality standards set by HYMER in Germany into the North American RV industry. For the very first time, innovative European design and assembly practices, automation, and control standards will be implemented in an American manufacturing facility.

We're pretty excited about all of it.“

Old 02-01-2020, 02:44 PM   #2

THOR #2121
Quality improvement seems to be a major point Thor is marketing/pushing in press release and interviews, acknowledging EHG is much better in “innovation, design, and quality”.

I hoped new Hymer-influenced products may have been displayed at Tampa Super Show, but apparently that’s about a year too early.

“Hymer USA will be based in Bristol with initial product availability expected in the fourth quarter of this year.”

A bit more press coverage for anyone who may be following development:

https://www.elkharttruth.com/thor-br...28f6b5eb1.html

https://www.southbendtribune.com/new...d6bbd3d90.html

https://www.areadevelopment.com/news...-indiana.shtml
Old 02-01-2020, 03:29 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
IF If if.... Thor can pull this off correctly. I believe it will shakeup the whole Class B / C industries. The others will have to step up their game in Quality or Lower Pricing.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:29 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Chance...remember that age old statement..."be careful what you ask for...you just may get it"?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:21 PM   #5

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
IF If if.... Thor can pull this off correctly. I believe it will shakeup the whole Class B / C industries. The others will have to step up their game in Quality or Lower Pricing.
Yes, very big “IF”. I’m skeptical in large part due to the mentioned capital investment of only $8 to $10 million which isn’t very much in 2020 dollars. I can’t see that level of investment buying much automation.

I wouldn’t necessarily rule out how Hymer may influence smaller Class A designs. Class As are a large part of their European business. The real question is whether younger Americans will want smaller and lighter motorhomes, or whether they continue to prefer the much larger and heavier units of previous generations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Chance...remember that age old statement..."be careful what you ask for...you just may get it"?
Agree 100%.

However, if we don’t like whatever anyone comes up with, we don’t have to act on it. The biggest problem is the time we may waste hoping some company will build a motorhome we finally want to own and or drive. We can easily argue that wasted time is even worse than wasted money.

For what it’s worth, the new Thor “B” vans are largely Hymer designs, and that was probably a plus. We’ll see if they also influence future small Cs and As.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:25 AM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
So what exactly is an "Erwin Hymer" RV?
Old 02-02-2020, 01:42 PM   #7

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
So what exactly is an "Erwin Hymer" RV?

What are you actually asking? Please elaborate.

Literally any RV built by EHG, but I’m fairly certain that’s not the point of your question.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:26 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
My Dealer has what he advertises as "Erwin Hymer" Class B rigs on his lot...

https://www.alpinhausrv.com/inventor...ss+B+Motorhome
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:44 PM   #9

THOR #2121
Most look like the Aktiv 2.0 Loft models that were built in Canada during Hymer’s ownership of RoadTrek. I’m not 100% certain but think that’s the case.

That was before Thor purchased Hymer and excluded North America operations, including RoadTrek, from the acquisition. Since that time, RoadTrek was purchased by another European RV manufacturer and is back in business on a smaller scale.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:34 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks!
Old 02-09-2020, 03:16 PM   #11

State: California
THOR #15490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

I wouldn’t necessarily rule out how Hymer may influence smaller Class A designs. Class As are a large part of their European business. The real question is whether younger Americans will want smaller and lighter motorhomes, or whether they continue to prefer the much larger and heavier units .
I am a millenial by birth year work ethic ways I am a Boomer and have been called so by those born the same year as me because I tell people to stive for what they want instead of cry until they get what they want. That said the new generation A LOT dont even own drivers license or somewhere they can store an RV heck they probably dont have a job especially one with the type of disposable income to own a RV. I work very hard and have a 34j Windsport class A. So I guess we do like the big heavy RVs of yesteryear...if we can afford them. I will probably be moving to a 40ish ft diesel in the next few years as I tow 90% of the time I have the RV out wether it be my 20ft box and desert toys or thw toad.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:50 PM   #12

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
I am not knocking Hymer but I had two Roadtreks a 1994 190 Popular and a 2007 210 Popular and they were very well built and they had a very skilled workforce in Kitchener Ontario Canada but when we were shopping for our 2018 Compass 23 TB we did notice that level of quality was not even close to what both of our old Roadtreks were. That said I am not unhappy buying my Compass so time will tell what the products are like
Coveman2
Old 02-09-2020, 08:49 PM   #13

THOR #2121
In fairness, reports suggest RoadTrek management ran company into grown before Hymer purchased them.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:21 PM   #14

THOR #2121
Just curious — has anyone seen any information on the new Hymer USA division of Thor?

Original press release indicated initial RVs would be available in 4th quarter of this year, and I expected we would have seen something by now. A Google search only revealed speculation and guesses, which made interesting reading but not very informative as it relates to us in USA. Perhaps Covid delayed their plans.

For what it’s worth, the tiny new German Hymer Crosscamp similar in size to the old VW Westfalia campers, except built on Toyota or Opal minivan, suggest Thor ownership hasn’t stopped development of small RVs in favor of large motorhomes. I don’t recall seeing a Hymer van that small before.

Way too small for us, but a great reminder that smaller rigs can get to some really cool places. Just make mine twice as large and with a shower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E99AC056-7DD4-49F0-91A5-86C859F978E9.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	24337   Click image for larger version

Name:	AE358ED8-7213-47DD-854C-6B4239C64684.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	24338  

Name:	75296386-2801-4433-9BA5-FF55292F0756.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	24339  
Old 12-30-2020, 10:00 PM   #15

State: Ontario
THOR #21345
I've just been looking/stumbling upon some gorgeous European motor homes over on youtube. Here's a Hymer :
Old 12-30-2020, 10:47 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That's looking at the 2019 models...
Old 01-08-2021, 09:11 AM   #17

State: California
THOR #20742
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyeightkeys View Post
I've just been looking/stumbling upon some gorgeous European motor homes over on youtube. Here's a Hymer :
How about this one by a Hymer sister company? Ismove. A little shy of 23 feet long (They have a longer version) only at 910K USD (probably including 19% VAT). https://www.businessinsider.com/ismo...le-2020-9?op=1 https://newatlas.com/automotive/ismove-smart-motorhome/

This is dirt cheap in comparison with a Ford 4x4 conversion van I saw at a company in California. They wanted $200K, and that thing didn't even have a toilet or shower. I was there about two months ago. They added that they couldn't take orders until July this year! I said to myself, "Don't worry. I won't order from you...."
Old 01-08-2021, 02:22 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Reading that report: I noticed that it's the "fully upgraded" models that can do all of the really neat stuff...
I wonder what they cost?
Old 01-08-2021, 05:19 PM   #19

THOR #2121
Small Class As have not been popular in US, so as much as I like it, I doubt I’ll ever see one in the States. Maybe if a US manufacturer built a compact Class A with the proven European floorpan it may have a chance of success.

If they make it much roomier than a van camper, yet with comparable exterior dimensions, it could attract buyers on the fence who want a true “Class B” van but feel they are too cramped.

For me it seems a great size. Around 23 feet long and just over 7 feet wide. That’s similar to new Winnebago Ekko in size, except Ekko is a Class C.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	76A934CB-0589-4BEE-BC6C-87CA16098D18.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	27962  
Old 01-08-2021, 05:41 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
For rigs in that size range: it might be a lot cheaper to build a C: than an A...