Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Thor Manufaacturing Plants

I have seen a lot of complaints about different Thor RV's. I have a Four Winds 2012 and have had (so far) very little problems. With that said I bought it used with 1600 miles so the first owner may have debugged it. My question is do their RV's come out of different plants and some may have better QC then others. Just wondering.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Thor has many different plants all over the country. So yes to your question
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:23 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
They have about 10 or so in Elkhart, IN.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:43 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
My question is do their RV's come out of different plants and some may have better QC then others. Just wondering.
I am an Industrial Engineer by trade, an efficiency expert, a "Quality Quru" by practice, and an aerospace industry executive by happenstance.

As a LeanSigma Master Black Belt, I have personally instilled the "corporate" quality mandate at many various Fortune 500 companies over the past two decades. I almost even ventured into RV manufacturing, (Riverside CA), a few years ago!

So, the short answer is: yes.

You are going to get different levels of quality at each differently managed plant, each week of the month, each day of the week, (by the exact same employee), and from each shift.

Hope that answers your question.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:41 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
If they were to be rated on a scale of 1 to 10----do you think any of them could get a 5?
Old 12-29-2014, 04:12 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
The Motorhomes are predominantly made in the Elkhart, In. area at at least 4 plants within a few miles of each other. Not sure where the other RVs are made.

Thing is, in addition to Thor and other RV manufacturers in the Elkhart area, many support industries (Onan, Atwood, Lippert, and many other component, fiberglass and cabinet manufacturer industries) are also in the Elkhart area.

Elkhart is also home to a large part of the mobile home industry, which is of similar quality to most RVs.

I live about an hour from the Class C plant, and I took a plant tour just after purchasing my rig. I really did not see any poor quality issues during my tour, but I didn't have an opportunity to closely inspect the rigs; it was pretty much typical of a factory environment.

I have had a few issues with my RV, but not the magnitude that others have had... mostly annoying things that I had to fix myself. But I also bought it used (when it was 2yr old). A doctor owned it prior to me, and I am not sure if a doctor would have the time or interest in fixing every nit-noid problem.