Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2022, 05:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #19744
Smile Thor Motorcoach Oven

I have a 2020 Thor Miramar 35.2 (my wife and I love it) and want to replace the True Induction Gas Combo Cooktop with a 3 or 4 burner gas cooktop and "oven". As anyone done this and/or have any installation - schematics that I can provide my Thor Certified maintenance person??? My goal is to make it easier for him and myself?? Appreciate any recommendation.

Old 05-24-2022, 06:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Most go the other direction.
Installing a stove/oven where none exists will require on the spot engineering and removal of existing structure.
Is your "Thor Certified maintenance person" up to it?

And what does "Thor certified" mean? AFAIK Thor doesn't certify anything/anyone. They may approve a third party to do warranty work, but "Certification" is a different animal.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:32 PM   #3

THOR #19744
Thanks for your quick response. I do realize it will take a great deal of 'minor construction" and replacement of the existing top. I have had warranty service done by my Service Technician. They not only sell Thor motorhomes but service and warranty work.. My interest at this time is to find our what model of oven-with 3-4 gas cooktop are in Thor (Windsport, A.C.E. and hurricane) and if possible sizes.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:34 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I would replace our current RV cooktop/oven "toy" with a REAL freestanding range (like an Insignia) in a heartbeat... but for me in our class C, far too many mods are needed. For REAL cooking/baking - nothing beats the even heat and temperature control you get with a decent sized gas range/oven. Induction wins in efficiency, but I'll take the versatility of gas/propane any day.

The bonus is I love to cook on the road, which is fortunate, because restaurants have become just TOO expensive for my blood!

Your "Thor certified installer" (??) just needs to do detailed measurements of the area where you'll be installing. Also consider sidewall insulation from the oven heat, and roof ventilation (range hood). This is really no different a procedure than you'd do for a home oven/range installation. Any qualified installer should know exactly how to go about this.

After you get the measurements, start shopping. I replaced our ancient 30 year old home wall oven last year using this exact method. Nearly every range/oven has installation spec. and install guide on the internet. Just do a search.

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2022, 06:45 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dricha4169 View Post
Thanks for your quick response. I do realize it will take a great deal of 'minor construction" and replacement of the existing top. I have had warranty service done by my Service Technician. They not only sell Thor motorhomes but service and warranty work.. My interest at this time is to find our what model of oven-with 3-4 gas cooktop are in Thor (Windsport, A.C.E. and hurricane) and if possible sizes.
Does it really matter what's in my ACE or Scuba's Axis? They're all Atwood. They all connect to a gas line. They have different tops/covers but you can decided what size will best fit in your modification. Take a peek here:

https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com...-wheels-ranges
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:50 PM   #6

THOR #16721
This (or similar) is what is being installed in the "nicer" fifth wheels and larger class A motorhomes. However, may be a HUGE challenge for yours...

https://forestriverinc.com/files/Com...er%20Guide.pdf
Old 05-24-2022, 11:54 PM   #7

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Does it really matter what's in my ACE or Scuba's Axis? They're all Atwood. They all connect to a gas line. They have different tops/covers but you can decided what size will best fit in your modification. Take a peek here:

https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com...-wheels-ranges
Ha I just took out our 3 burner, replaced it with just a gas cook too and a dishwasher. Didn’t realize the ovens were going for so much. I was just going to recycle it. Guess now might have to decide if it’s worth the time to sell it.
Old 05-25-2022, 12:08 AM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Just like chateau alludes:

Whatever you do don't install an RV unit of ANY sort if You're a real cook.

There is no lower end cooking apparatus this side of Bangladesh than a standard rv oven/stove top.

Of course you can cook in a low end oven and it shows remarkable talent to do so.
But
You're stepping up, so step up.
The labor to install Miele or Thor is the same as the labor to install a 1996 used rv unit.

(I would be extremely cautionary about a Thor Certified anything/anyone doing cabinets. Whacking a worthy hole and doing finish work absolutely doesn't relate to anything Thor would certify. This is a cabinet maker job and nothing less.)

And
If you're an average cook who wants to be able to be great and have the simplest possible installation with the simplest possible user ability:
Ge profile advantium oven.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:37 PM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
I have a 2020 Thor Miramar 35.2 (my wife and I love it) and want to replace the True Induction Gas Combo Cooktop with a 3 or 4 burner gas cooktop and "oven". As anyone done this and/or have any installation - schematics that I can provide my Thor Certified maintenance person??? My goal is to make it easier for him and myself?? Appreciate any recommendation.

Can't anyone just post a simple question anymore with a reasonable expectation of a qualified answer relative to the subject??
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:18 PM   #10

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Op,
I regret answering your question using an answer based on life experiences you might not have and subtleties of your inquiry that need discerned and not necessarily read at face value.

I withdraw my answer,

Management:
Please remove My unfortunate answer.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:39 PM   #11

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
Ha I just took out our 3 burner, replaced it with just a gas cook too and a dishwasher. Didn’t realize the ovens were going for so much. I was just going to recycle it. Guess now might have to decide if it’s worth the time to sell it.
When I did the dishwasher mod same as yours.. I had people wiling to drive 5 hours to pick up my oven /cooktop combo...put it up on facebook...
Old 05-25-2022, 06:46 PM   #12

THOR #19744
I am not sure why you are "apologizing" for your response to "my question". I REALLY appreciate everyone's experience and recommendations. After all; that is the purpose of a "forum"...... is it not? Thank Again to everyone responding to "my question"
Old 05-25-2022, 06:53 PM   #13

THOR #19744
The Gritz Carlton .... please clarify you post. I believe my question was simple and with some background. If is was regarding the responses; I appreciate any recommendations members may have and their experiences ...... I do believe that is the purpose of "a forum".
Old 05-25-2022, 08:24 PM   #14

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemate View Post
When I did the dishwasher mod same as yours.. I had people wiling to drive 5 hours to pick up my oven /cooktop combo...put it up on facebook...
Wow that’s crazy.. I guess I will be doing that.

To the OP I would look at something different then just the RV range. I took ours out partly because it wasn’t really usable as an oven. We mostly BBQ so a dishwasher for us is a better option. But if you are really into oven cooking work with your installer for something that will work for you.

It’s all just wood so you can remodel just about anyway you want.

I found my cooktop cheap at https://factoryrvsurplus.com/
Old 05-26-2022, 02:36 AM   #15

THOR #16721
I might have missed it, but are you looking for a propane oven, or a combo convection/microwave - which is getting to be more common in RVs?

One of my considerations is keeping our propane cooktop, but replace the "toy" oven with a convection style.

Just tossing ideas out there...
Old 05-26-2022, 03:17 AM   #16

THOR #19744
We have to replace the "True Induction" cooktop. The Induction cooktop affects my wife's pacemaker. There are some published articles regarding this. So, we want to continue using propane with a 3-4 burner and install an oven. I've received a lot of response that will help in our choice. We "REALLY APPRECIATE" member's of the forum with their information and recommendations.
Old 05-26-2022, 03:17 AM   #17

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
The Gritz Carlton .... please clarify you post. I believe my question was simple and with some background. If is was regarding the responses; I appreciate any recommendations members may have and their experiences ...... I do believe that is the purpose of "a forum".
I don't believe Gritz was saying anything negative about your question. I believe he was asking a rhetorical question about the answers you were receiving. Too many people on this forum are no longer capable of just answering queries with substantive answers. They have to go into theories, provide 'expert' opinions about the 'ideal' fix and then impugn your original question. Sometimes I think I get better information from the town drunk than this forum.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:42 AM   #18

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I don't believe Gritz was saying anything negative about your question. I believe he was asking a rhetorical question about the answers you were receiving. Too many people on this forum are no longer capable of just answering queries with substantive answers. They have to go into theories, provide 'expert' opinions about the 'ideal' fix and then impugn your original question. Sometimes I think I get better information from the town drunk than this forum.
Not to "put words in the OP's mouth", but my take was that they appreciate these types of responses. It's an ongoing dialogue of different thinking individuals giving their opinion of what works for THEM. The OP then has many different ideas to consider from folks with real-life use cases. The OP then has possible options which they may not have thought of.

Sometimes those "off-topic" discussions are not off-topic at all, but actually expounded comments about personal experience. Sometimes a simple curt "yes" or "no" works... whereas others prefer a "little more color" to derive the answer they're looking for. If we were all the same, it would certainly be a boring world!
Old 06-02-2022, 11:53 PM   #19

THOR #15410
Stove and oven

I would not buy an rv without a oven. Just a plain old fashioned gas oven.
Old 06-03-2022, 02:55 AM   #20

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
E-trailer has Furrion stove tops and ovens. You can find dimensions and specs to peruse.

We have the Wedgwood/Attwood 3 burner stove & oven in our ACE. The oven is basically for heating frozen pizza or maybe you could bake a pie. If it is your intent to actually say roast a whole chicken in an RV oven you will have to cut it up to fit!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote