Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2019, 01:34 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
Weighed my rig yesterday

We headed out on our first camping trip of the season yesterday. I’d been wanting to weigh the motorhome with the toad hooked up for some time now. So, I took a slight detour which took us past a CAT scale. I had installed an app on my iPhone that allows you to pull onto the CAT scale and then use the app to pay for and get the results of the weigh, including a pdf weight ticket sent to your email. No fuss,no muss😊.
I was a bit surprised by the results. My fully loaded Motorhome w/ my Jeep Liberty hooked up weighed in very close to some of the max ratings.
Steering GAWR is 5,000 lbs. my weight 4760 lbs
Drive GAWR IS 9600 lbs my weight 9480 lbs
Gross weight 14,600 lbs my weight 14,240 lbs
GCWR 21,000 lbs my weight 18,420 lbs.
I’m under on all weights but not by much. I’m going to reevaluate what I carry to see what I can leave home. I believe I carry at least 150 lbs of “stuff” that I don’t use or rarely use.
Any other weight related suggestions would be appreciated.

LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:39 AM   #2

Model: 3719 Newmar
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
We headed out on our first camping trip of the season yesterday. I’d been wanting to weigh the motorhome with the toad hooked up for some time now. So, I took a slight detour which took us past a CAT scale. I had installed an app on my iPhone that allows you to pull onto the CAT scale and then use the app to pay for and get the results of the weigh, including a pdf weight ticket sent to your email. No fuss,no muss[emoji4].

I was a bit surprised by the results. My fully loaded Motorhome w/ my Jeep Liberty hooked up weighed in very close to some of the max ratings.

Steering GAWR is 5,000 lbs. my weight 4760 lbs

Drive GAWR IS 9600 lbs my weight 9480 lbs

Gross weight 14,600 lbs my weight 14,240 lbs

GCWR 21,000 lbs my weight 18,420 lbs.

I’m under on all weights but not by much. I’m going to reevaluate what I carry to see what I can leave home. I believe I carry at least 150 lbs of “stuff” that I don’t use or rarely use.

Any other weight related suggestions would be appreciated.

I need to get that app. Been looking for a place to weigh my rig.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:40 AM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 31L
State: Georgia
THOR #4938
What’s it cost to have a rig weighed if you don’t mind I been wanting to weigh mine
Old 04-17-2019, 05:00 AM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones3211 View Post
What’s it cost to have a rig weighed if you don’t mind I been wanting to weigh mine
Using the CAT scales app, paying via PayPal it cost $11:50
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:11 AM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite 31L
State: Georgia
THOR #4938
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
Using the CAT scales app, paying via PayPal it cost $11:50

Thank you
That’s not bad at all
Old 04-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
What you need to do every spring is unload EVERYTHING from the coach. Anything in the pile that you never or hardly used touch or are more of a cold weather item (electric heaters for example) doesn't go back in.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:01 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Knowledge is power... Thanks for the info on that app!
Now that you know how much it weighs: you know how many souvenirs you can bring home from each trip...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
What you need to do every spring is unload EVERYTHING from the coach. Anything in the pile that you never or hardly used touch or are more of a cold weather item (electric heaters for example) doesn't go back in.

Best advice ever. I do this every year, including last month. Amazing how much crap crawls back into dark spaces and hide. This post confirms the matrix the manufacturers face where quality vs. weight comes in. Build a smaller coach on a heavier chassis...you'll eliminate cheap-crap issues and you'll own the market for the educated buyer. My choice...a 26-28 footer on the F550 chassis with four wheel drive! Build it like a B&M house with full size furniture and real plumbing. You could take it anywhere!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
There is a lot of variation within industry. Smaller units sometimes don’t have enough storage space except for essentials, so it’s difficult to overload them if built on right chassis. Most smaller vans fall in that category. And then there are some Class Cs (B+) built on same 9,350-pound chassis that are over the axle weight rating from the factory. It’s crazy they even make them.

By the way, GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is often much less than the sum of the front and rear axle weight ratings combined. The E-450 is limited to 14,500 pounds, which is only 100 pounds less than 5,000 + 9,600. In the case of the E-350, the 12,500 pound GVWR is considerably less than the 5,000 + 8,500 pound axle ratings. There is a bit more wiggle room, although legally not so much.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:37 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Well you asked about weight saving and one of the easiest things to leave behind is water. I rarely have even a half tank of fresh water when I travel and I try to empty my holding tanks before leaving camp. In a pinch you can even travel with a half full gas tank. You just have to stop a little more often. Other things I’ve learned to leave behind are grilling charcoal and firewood. Haven’t weight my current rig yet but I’m concerned...