Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Delamination?... and... uh... pimples

Hi ForumFolk!
Just wondering if any others here have heard of, or experienced what we are now seeing on our 2016 Vegas 25.3. When we purchased it new, it was flawless, as far as the body and interior go, but now, one year later, we are noticing that the body, on the outside at both the drivers and passengers sides, are showing, what my husband thinks is delamination, but what looks to me to be the framing beams pushing out. It is most noticeable when looking against the setting sun, when all flaws show up so well, but you can see that 'frame outline' (running side to side below the window, not up and down) any time of day. It seems to be getting worse.
Also, on the inside of the vehicle, at both the drivers wall below the side window, and on the passenger side, there are these little, sharp bumps poking out of the wall! I have NO IDEA what is causing this; windows have never been left open in bad weather, no chemicals were used to clean/scrub, etc... but they first showed up on the drivers side, and now are on the passenger side. Honestly, it looks like the walls are going through puberty. I'm talking LOTS of bumps... a rash! Any thoughts on either problem? Thinking my coach knows the warranty has expired..

2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:43 PM   #2

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Check out this thread. What you describe sounds like what this other poster recently posted a picture of.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...ses-10074.html
Old 11-20-2017, 09:44 PM   #3

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Hiya Calico. Someone else recently posted about the "pimples". Yours sounds similar
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10074
Good luck!
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:47 PM   #4

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Hiya Calico. Someone else recently posted about the "pimples". Yours sounds similar
Anyone know what causes this? - Thor Forums
Good luck!
Arkansas > California...
Old 11-20-2017, 11:52 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Just guessing/speculating: Did these bumps just start to show up now that the weather is getting cold?
Here is my speculation: The Axis/Vegas units frequently have a leak under the front driver & passenger windows. The water leaks down into the wall and then in the cold weather it freezes expanding out. The bumps may be where the frozen water popped through the wall structure. Likewise the leaking may be contributing to what you're seeing on the outside--again this is all pure speculation.

We had the passenger window leak and I had to take it in to Thor's factory service to get it fixed (a year past warranty as we didn't notice the leak until the 2nd season). It wasn't a pretty bill from them but we no longer have a leak (they charge $100/hr).
Here is some discussions about the window leaks: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...aybe-7049.html
More window leaking discussions:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...egas-7256.html

My factory service experience:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...ence-6233.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:37 PM   #6

THOR #4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Check out this thread. What you describe sounds like what this other poster recently posted a picture of.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...ses-10074.html
OMG! Yes! That is it exactly! Great... so my windows are leaking and the vehicle is out of warranty. Just my luck.
Thanks for solving the mystery and the quick reply!
~n.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Old 12-12-2017, 12:29 AM   #7

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
OMG! Yes! That is it exactly! Great... so my windows are leaking and the vehicle is out of warranty. Just my luck.
Thanks for solving the mystery and the quick reply!
~n.
So, it looks like I am sharing this problem with the front window leaks. Ripples on the wallpaper under the passenger window. Got one of those moisture detectors where you push the probes into the surface and it shows high moisture in the middle and about 4-5" below the window. Out of warranty of course and of course, the extended warranty does not cover "leaks".... Anyone figure out a way to seal the windows without paying out what will be a huge labor cost to pull the windows out?
Old 12-12-2017, 12:40 AM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
So, it looks like I am sharing this problem with the front window leaks. Ripples on the wallpaper under the passenger window. Got one of those moisture detectors where you push the probes into the surface and it shows high moisture in the middle and about 4-5" below the window. Out of warranty of course and of course, the extended warranty does not cover "leaks".... Anyone figure out a way to seal the windows without paying out what will be a huge labor cost to pull the windows out?
Actually what they do for this at the factory service center is disassemble the wall below the window, dry it out, seal up everything below the window and reassemble the wall without ever removing the window (I got the impression that this was a standard fix for the front window leaks). They do a very good job with it--you can't tell where they replaced the wall unless you know (the service tech will show you where all the seams are).

For your calculations: If you take it back to the factory and have them do this repair for one side it will be a C-note or two below $1k.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:30 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
In my 2014 Vegas I fixed the window leaks with a silicone bead around the windows. It was a quick and easy fix and seemed to solve the problem. My wife made a three Jean pocket strip for both sides under the windows which we hang from clear plastic hooks. Gives someplace to hold non-credit cards and insurance and registration docs, etc. that is easily accessible.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:29 AM   #10

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
In my 2014 Vegas I fixed the window leaks with a silicone bead around the windows. It was a quick and easy fix and seemed to solve the problem. My wife made a three Jean pocket strip for both sides under the windows which we hang from clear plastic hooks. Gives someplace to hold non-credit cards and insurance and registration docs, etc. that is easily accessible.
Thanks to you and Jamie for the info.... I'm still looking at options but going back to IN probably isn't going to happen from So CA.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:47 PM   #11

THOR #3483
Quote:
So Oneilkeys, next question, which kind of caulking did you use around the windows and did you fill the entire area between the inner glass and the body?
Old 12-12-2017, 11:53 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
So Oneilkeys, next question, which kind of caulking did you use around the windows and did you fill the entire area between the inner glass and the body?
I used clear silicone caulking and yes, I filled in the whole area on the top of the window and used less on the sides.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:58 AM   #13

THOR #3483
Quote:
I used clear silicone caulking and yes, I filled in the whole area on the top of the window and used less on the sides.
Thanks for the response. I just ordered some RV window sealant from Amazon. I really don't want to pay thousands at this point of ownership. I have already paid thousands to get the rig to drive the way I want with suspension issues.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:13 AM   #14

Model: Vegas
State: Texas
THOR #7992
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Just guessing/speculating: Did these bumps just start to show up now that the weather is getting cold?
Here is my speculation: The Axis/Vegas units frequently have a leak under the front driver & passenger windows. The water leaks down into the wall and then in the cold weather it freezes expanding out. The bumps may be where the frozen water popped through the wall structure. Likewise the leaking may be contributing to what you're seeing on the outside--again this is all pure speculation.

We had the passenger window leak and I had to take it in to Thor's factory service to get it fixed (a year past warranty as we didn't notice the leak until the 2nd season). It wasn't a pretty bill from them but we no longer have a leak (they charge $100/hr).
Here is some discussions about the window leaks: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...aybe-7049.html
More window leaking discussions:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...egas-7256.html

My factory service experience:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...ence-6233.html

On 2015 Vegas window leaks(actually from top of coach)
Had dealer fix passenger side under warranty and then drivers side went when at end of 1 yr warranty but Thor stepped up and covered.
Ok now after warranty over passenger side leaked again and local RV repair tore back to where trim hides front cap attachment to top of coach and found a gap of 1/2 inch and more gab in construction assembly that guides Water down to window area and ruins wallboard since it delaminates and has to be replaced plus any rotten support in back of wallpaper.
Just a heads up for all the caulking in the world is not going to keep you dry if you have gap where front cap meets body.
Had coaches for 40 years and this is a first.
Not really happy with Thor but the coach drives great, flys down interstate and floor plan is what sold me, so cannot find another to replace it!
Old 01-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #15

THOR #1249
You are correct. Where the front and rear caps meet the roof is a really big deal as there is bound to be constant movement as you go down the road.........especially in Louisiana.
I tape those joints with a strip of 4" Eternabond from gutter to gutter front and back. That essentially eliminates those joints from leaking.
Hope you leak is fixed once and for all time.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:48 PM   #16

THOR #4796
Update on my issue (or, rather, my Vegas' issue!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
You are correct. Where the front and rear caps meet the roof is a really big deal as there is bound to be constant movement as you go down the road.........especially in Louisiana.
I tape those joints with a strip of 4" Eternabond from gutter to gutter front and back. That essentially eliminates those joints from leaking.
Hope you leak is fixed once and for all time.
Turns out this is exactly where my leak was, which caused the de-laminating issue with the lumps and bumps on the driving area wall interiors. Also found was another leak area, which caused rain to get into the storage bin below our outdoor TV... an original problem.
Our Thor rep was delighted that we preferred to bring our coach directly to them in Indiana for the repairs needed, and (shhhh; don't tell a soul!) they covered all issues from start to finish, expired warranty be damned. I do believe that the 'bin issue' we've had since day one helped, as we did try to get that fixed under warranty, but 2... TWO... service departments were not able to find it. Thor found and fixed THAT issue, and threw in everything else as 'customer satisfaction' bonuses... and I'm talking even items that WE rookies screwed up ourselves! Gotta tell ya, I love Thor and their representatives. They really have been great with helping us out, and we have NEVER run into any problems when dealing directly with them. I would have Thor's baby. Just sayin'.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Old 05-02-2018, 06:09 PM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Turns out this is exactly where my leak was, which caused the de-laminating issue with the lumps and bumps on the driving area wall interiors. Also found was another leak area, which caused rain to get into the storage bin below our outdoor TV... an original problem.
Our Thor rep was delighted that we preferred to bring our coach directly to them in Indiana for the repairs needed, and (shhhh; don't tell a soul!) they covered all issues from start to finish, expired warranty be damned. I do believe that the 'bin issue' we've had since day one helped, as we did try to get that fixed under warranty, but 2... TWO... service departments were not able to find it. Thor found and fixed THAT issue, and threw in everything else as 'customer satisfaction' bonuses... and I'm talking even items that WE rookies screwed up ourselves! Gotta tell ya, I love Thor and their representatives. They really have been great with helping us out, and we have NEVER run into any problems when dealing directly with them. I would have Thor's baby. Just sayin'.
That's great! All of my interactions with Thor have been good ones, even when we paid a visit to Wakarusa.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:56 AM   #18

THOR #3483
Wallpaper Ripples under Axis Windows

Okay.... Most of you know that I have been concerned about the rippling of the wallpaper under our driver and passenger windows for at least a year. I puchased a moisture meter with the two metal probes that revealed very high moisture levels about 5-6" below both windows. Low moisture readings above that which is really strange. Found a business with a Forward Looking Infra Red that coincided with my cheap moisture meter.

I bit the bullet and have the rig at my local RV repair shop and currently both windows have been removed. The wood panels at the bottom of the windows are NOT rotted but the moisture reading issue is still present. Right now it appears that the seam where the front cap meets the side wall is probably the culprit. I will keep you apprised and I did take a few pictures while the windows were removed. Looking forward (not) to the repair bill but the piece of mind of not letting anything rot is worth it to us (me).
Old 11-26-2018, 10:10 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
I noticed that the carpet below the window was wet during a storm this year and traced it to the seat belt entry point above the passenger seat, I certainly had a fit and was not happy. As soon as I got her home and under cover I checked where the leak could be and, sure enough, it was at the joint of the cap, a gap of about a quarter of an inch, just just in front of the awning arm. So, plenty of sealant in the gap and the the awning arm loosened and plenty of sealant put behind it. Seems to have worked as no more leaks there, however, I'll be keeping an eye on it.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:11 AM   #20

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
...snip... and, sure enough, it was at the joint of the cap, a gap of about a quarter of an inch, just just in front of the awning arm. ...
It's my worry that by the way the cap is fitted when we enter a driveway at an angle, or jacking the coach at one wheel to change a tire, or parking on an off-level campsite, we are twisting the body. It seems that flexing the body like that will stress the cap/wall joint and by design it's rigid. On a welded auto (much shorter) the body lifts with minimal flex. But here it's more exaggerated. I think. Any thoughts?
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote