Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2020, 12:48 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #5188
Relatively lucky

I’ve got. 2015 Thor Vegas and I’ve had a few minor issues like the wiper motor blowing a fuse during a torrential downpour or the shore power plug melting. I do consider myself pretty lucky with nothing major...knock on wood. That being said....NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY A THOR PRODUCT!!!

Old 06-18-2020, 01:13 AM   #42

State: British Columbia
THOR #9668
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictech View Post
First let me say that the Thor Vegas is a piece of crap..
Welcome to THOR embarrassing quality workmanship, non existent quality control and absolutely no pride in their product.
Old 06-18-2020, 01:43 AM   #43

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Well I guess we'll be saved from your fine company at the Thor meets.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:54 AM   #44

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Everyone has the experience that they have - but as noted you are more likely to hear from unhappy owners. I have had a bottom end Thor (Freedom Elite), a mid level Winnebago, a similar level Fleetwood and now a Newmar. For the record, I had the fewest issues with the Thor. I like the Newmar the best, but the Thor had the fewest “new bugs”.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:39 AM   #45

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post
Ha, but they are the ones that leave crap under every cabinet and bed. Don't clean up anything correctly. I had two dash screws in the middle of dash under windshield that are rusted in my new RV. Just pull out the cabinets and lift the bed, and bingo, screws laying everywhere in the saw dust!

Foam guy that seals up holes should be taking out and float tested for lack of skills!!

Explain to me how to sell a 7 month old brand new RV????

I ain't selling, I am going to have a party with Thor once everything is done!

Party like it's 1999!!!

Retired Military 100 percent combat disable wife of mine's Dream to have a nice rig! WE love the layout! Love the RV, hate the issues! 4 months my rig has been in the shop! In the shop now!!

Look at this CEO all bragging about Thor!

https://youtu.be/EWoq0vMo_e8

I should be out in my RV having fun right now!! That's my discontent!

"Find something else to take the time in your life you spent typing your discontent"

Nothing funner than have to beg to get your RV out of the shop so you can run off for a week and then come back and drop it off again!!

BTW I am under warranty, the Vegas I have a 5 year extended. The awing cost me 2400 dollar to replace when it ripped it's self off the side rolling in with no wind!

Warranty company declined our claim. So 1400 for new Awing installed. Refund of my warranty cost me a grand!!
Sold to me by Thor!!

This Retired Squid should be here!!!!! All happy and Shit! That's my discontent!!!

Give it some time. You will work all the kinks out and should be good to go. I learned to repair myself saving a lot of time and headaches. Its been trouble free for 2 years except for cheap hardware (drawer Slides/Latches, Window shades etc . However I will never buy another Thor product .
Old 06-18-2020, 03:04 AM   #46

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
Thor is selling them as fast as they are selling. They have no incentive to improve. The only thing that changes this type culture is competition.
Competition helps, but it’s not the only thing that can lead to change that improves quality. And if competition is for greater short-term profitability to satisfy or impress Wall Street investors, it may actually be detrimental.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:34 AM   #47
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Nightmare Tiffin Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAHARV View Post
I just took delivery of my first RV and it was a bit of a nightmare. The bus was delivered from Florida to Los Angeles. The delivery person pointed out multiple rock chips in the paint.. This information was not giving to me prior to leaving the dealership and was a big surprise today. Once I got past that issue,I tested out the jacks and slide outs. Jacks would not retract and both slides outs wouldn't not come in, damaging the side of the bus. I have my first trip planned for tuesday and am very frustrated..I heard Bob Tiffin is very proactive but don't know how he can help me in this situation.. I forwent a 2021 to get my bus sooner, so upset I can't tell you. I heard that RV's have issues but both slide outs and the jacks on a brand new 2020 Allegro bus ip 40.. Its this stuff standard I'm the RV word? Sorry to be so long winded..
From IRV2

Tiffin's aren't immune.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:45 AM   #48
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you think that they are: go hang out in the Tiffin owners forum...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:07 PM   #49

THOR #6826
People talk about expecting RVs to be of the same quality as cars. It certainly would be nice! But when you think that most of us here are buying a truck AND a house for only about the price of a nice pickup truck it’s easier to understand why there are problems. Something has to give to hold the price point. Cars have gotten immeasurably better over the years but look at what it has cost. My first new car was a 1970 Ford that had a $1995 sticker. It wasn’t a great car although it served me well for over 100,000 miles. The first year or so with an RV can be pretty frustrating but once you get the bugs out you can get really good service from most units. Newmar, Tiffin and others have their problems too but you do get a better coach for the higher cost. IMO.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:58 AM   #50

THOR #13816
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
And I have a personal question for the navy guy?
Were you ever stationed on the Midway?
It was in commission practically three generations and I've never met anyone who was stationed on it.
I ask every sailor and marine I meet, no one ever says yes.
My father-in-law was in the Navy and was stationed at Midway. Unfortunately, he died in 1994.

And I agree with everyone who has the opinion that we purchased a home on wheels, not a luxury vehicle. We knew we were purchasing an entry level RV when we purchased our Vegas. We wanted a small class A for our first RV, and we didn’t want to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars. We love our Vegas!
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:05 AM   #51

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: British Columbia
THOR #12227
Thor Vegas 24.1

So many different experiences, sum good sum not so much.

We bought a 2 year old 2016 Vegas 24.1 with 5K miles on it primarily for the layout / configuration. Our 1st trip was 7 weeks 7K miles. 1 problem where the electric blind stopped working. I called the manufacture of the blind who helped determine it was the motor. They shipped me a new one free of charge with instructions to do the swap. Can't ask for more than that.

We just finished our 2nd tour of 215 days and 22K miles. The only problem we had was the door lock that failed. I bought a new one and replaced it myself. Shouldn't have failed, but no big deal in the big picture.

We have been very happy with how this unit has performed. It still looks new. I know the longer I keep it the more will fail. But that is the nature of the beast.

I would buy the unit again. I do agree Thor is not well liked and does not appear to stand behind products maybe they way they should. They don't seem to be customer friendly. But few large companies are these days.

The experiences we have had far out pace any problems.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:31 PM   #52

State: Michigan
THOR #11113
electrictech

Ha!! I hear ya! We have a 2017 Thor windsport 31w. Cheap, cheap! Our friends have an identical so we compare notes and are able to be pro active rather than reactive. I’m fortunate that my hubby is handy and able to repair and do the preventive maintenance. Sad that we pay big bucks for stuff that falls apart as soon as you leave the lot and your always waiting for the next shoe to drop.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:57 PM   #53

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carle View Post
So many different experiences, sum good sum not so much.

We bought a 2 year old 2016 Vegas 24.1 with 5K miles on it primarily for the layout / configuration. Our 1st trip was 7 weeks 7K miles. 1 problem where the electric blind stopped working. I called the manufacture of the blind who helped determine it was the motor. They shipped me a new one free of charge with instructions to do the swap. Can't ask for more than that.

We just finished our 2nd tour of 215 days and 22K miles. The only problem we had was the door lock that failed. I bought a new one and replaced it myself. Shouldn't have failed, but no big deal in the big picture.

We have been very happy with how this unit has performed. It still looks new. I know the longer I keep it the more will fail. But that is the nature of the beast.

I would buy the unit again. I do agree Thor is not well liked and does not appear to stand behind products maybe they way they should. They don't seem to be customer friendly. But few large companies are these days.

The experiences we have had far out pace any problems.
Me too! Am currently having a great experience with my Thor (knock on wood).
And, whenever I have an issue...I first search the Forums, then fix it myself.

I’ve owned Winnebago & ForestRiver.
They’re all the same stuff.

Just like Tiffin...no RV is immune.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:27 PM   #54

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I know RV's are not like a Cars but what burns me up is CW (or most any RV service center) will set you an appt to "look at your RV", you drop it off for a Full week then you have to call them every other day to see if they "looked" at it yet (or they will forget or put you at the end of the line). Then you Pickup the RV and set anohter appt a month later to be fix.

That happen to me TWICE while under warrantee for some simple fixes (and I never been back - rather fix it myself).

They have to get Thors to appove repairs first (They want to be paid too). Not sure if you can blame the RV shops on this entirely but it IMO it should be like 24 / 48 hour ordeal (when your setting an appt time).

AND if its something simple (no parts needed) they should fix that day and be able to bill Thor for something simple without approval. This is a major flaw IMO.

I think they should be able to look at the RV the day you set your appt for then the next day have it fixed (if something simple) or at lease by the end of the week.

Ok. I feel better that I got that off my chest. LOL.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:53 PM   #55

Model: ACE 27.2
THOR #17484
The RV industry is a sales-driven business subject to disruption by external forces like fuel prices, interest rates, changes in empilyment levels, and other factors. Dealers and their staff are focused on closing the deal and sending the customer down the road. Customers have wait for negotiation between the dealer and manufacturer to make repairs during the warranty period. After the manufacturer's warranty period expires, many RV owners rely on third-party, insurance-type coverage. Again, the selling dealer or any other repair shop has to request authorization for repairs so the RV buyer remains in a position of weakness often leading to delays and dissatisfaction. I think it's unlikely the RV industry will morph to a more service-oriented business model. Caveat Emptor!
Old 06-19-2020, 07:58 PM   #56

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I know RV's are not like a Cars but what burns me up is CW (or most any RV service center) will set you an appt to "look at your RV", you drop it off for a Full week then you have to call them every other day to see if they "looked" at it yet (or they will forget or put you at the end of the line). Then you Pickup the RV and set anohter appt a month later to be fix.

That happen to me TWICE while under warrantee for some simple fixes (and I never been back - rather fix it myself).

They have to get Thors to appove repairs first (They want to be paid too). Not sure if you can blame the RV shops on this entirely but it IMO it should be like 24 / 48 hour ordeal (when your setting an appt time).

AND if its something simple (no parts needed) they should fix that day and be able to bill Thor for something simple without approval. This is a major flaw IMO.

I think they should be able to look at the RV the day you set your appt for then the next day have it fixed (if something simple) or at lease by the end of the week.

Have you ever had a computer repaired???

They won’t give you a day/time to drop off when they will actually work on it.
Instead (like RVs) they put it on the bench, in line. There’s generally 4-5 others ahead of you.

So, that way when they are ready to start working on it, it’s available.
However, they generally don’t start the work for a week or more after they’ve received it.

It’s awful.
Both the RV dealers and the computer repair shops.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:28 PM   #57

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post

It certainly is frustrating. Made worse by the fact that many of the dealer’s “techs” are inexperienced and not very resourceful. It helps that most RVs, although they have many systems and parts, actually are pretty simple machines. If you are at all handy it’s generally easier to fix it yourself. Sure, you shouldn’t have to if there’s a warranty involved but at least you’ll know it’s done timely and right. There is the added benefit that with every repair you learn more about your machine. Also, it was my experience that Thor was very responsive to my needs and generally was very willing to mail me parts (even overnight if I needed it) for free during the warranty. Just needed photos of an actual failed part.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:49 PM   #58

THOR #2121
New law to address and fix some of these issues? Will make it better for everybody.

https://rvbusiness.com/new-law-impro...-in-louisiana/
Old 06-20-2020, 01:54 AM   #59

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! Good luck finding the unicorn which is an RV free of issues. If you find a rig built to the quality standard of today's autos, you won't like the price point.

Have you downloaded Ed Felker's excellent crowd-sourced manual for Vegas/Axis? Find the link on a sticky under "Motorhome Tech Topics." Very useful!
Old 06-20-2020, 02:13 AM   #60

Model: ACE 27.2
THOR #17484
And that's why a forum like this can be helpful, particularly if potential buyers check it out. I'm sure that many first-time buyers don't expect to experience something so different from that of buying a modern car or light truck.