Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2020, 05:58 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #21085
Jacks

we havea2017 challenger,the driver sidefrontjack keeps dropping when it is in storage and in the up position,thinking pressure leak but see no fluid leaking any ideas? Thanks

Old 11-16-2020, 06:16 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrod View Post
we havea2017 challenger,the driver sidefrontjack keeps dropping when it is in storage and in the up position,thinking pressure leak but see no fluid leaking any ideas? Thanks
Either the solenoid valve or internal ram o-ring
Old 11-26-2020, 03:03 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
Not solenoid

Quote:
I have this problem, (Hurricane 27K) replaced $450 parts Lipper told me, Solenoid and valve, no fix. Replaced the RF jack that was sagging like yours, others slightly down.. LR drops 8". replace it. Now the other two drop slightly, am replacing both this week, but the 2 new ones are tight up... All 4 fail at the same time? I don't know what.. don't do anything for a couple weeks, I will let you know how my ordeal turns out, maybe save you $$$

Peter
Old 11-26-2020, 03:11 AM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
If you haven't a plan for the jacks you take off, I wouldn't mind making you a deal.
I'd like to experiment and see if it's seals and if there's restrictors that can be removed and if a one way aux valve could be installed allowing a throw of a switch to absolutely lock them up or down, but I need some to experiment with. I'll do a thread outlining the added parts.
I've done it to hydraulics before. I think its either really easy, or really impossible.

Pm me if you'd like to sell them.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:10 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
All the jacks are plumbed to one valve which supplies fluid for all jacks to stow when retraction is commanded. During the retraction sequence when the pressure reaches 300 psi, the systems knows the jacks are retracted and shuts down. If hold-up valve leaks enough, the jack with the least internal resistance will come down first. If the pressure in the return line is less than 250 psi, the emergency retract system will start if the coach's parking brake is released. If there are big ambient temperature swings while my coach is parked for 60 days or more, the left front jack will drift down about 4 inches.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 10:18 PM   #6

THOR #970
UPDATE: It took awhile to get the other 2 jacks, once installed they all stayed up. So had to replace all 4 to keep any from coming back down...a bit of a burn.. 6 years old and $2000 worth of jacks plus labor fail at the same time? Bad design by Lippert ??..
Old 12-12-2020, 10:25 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
If you haven't a plan for the jacks you take off, I wouldn't mind making you a deal.
I'd like to experiment and see if it's seals and if there's restrictors that can be removed and if a one way aux valve could be installed allowing a throw of a switch to absolutely lock them up or down, but I need some to experiment with. I'll do a thread outlining the added parts.
I've done it to hydraulics before. I think its either really easy, or really impossible.

Pm me if you'd like to sell them.
One man’ s junk is another’s gold!
Old 12-12-2020, 10:26 PM   #8

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by petef View Post
UPDATE: It took awhile to get the other 2 jacks, once installed they all stayed up. So had to replace all 4 to keep any from coming back down...a bit of a burn.. 6 years old and $2000 worth of jacks plus labor fail at the same time? Bad design by Lippert ??..
Sell em to Ducksface. Recoup some $
Old 12-13-2020, 02:46 AM   #9

THOR #970
I did PM him.. I am afraid shipping may be $45 or more... Even 1 state over.. I called all the hydraulic rebuilders here, nobody would touch them.. I am not sure about Lippert keeping them, I had to wait for them to build them on my orders. Not sure why..
Old 12-13-2020, 11:43 AM   #10

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
All the jacks are plumbed to one valve which supplies fluid for all jacks to stow when retraction is commanded. During the retraction sequence when the pressure reaches 300 psi, the systems knows the jacks are retracted and shuts down. If hold-up valve leaks enough, the jack with the least internal resistance will come down first. If the pressure in the return line is less than 250 psi, the emergency retract system will start if the coach's parking brake is released. If there are big ambient temperature swings while my coach is parked for 60 days or more, the left front jack will drift down about 4 inches.
So, other than just a visual check, should I stomp on the retract button, just in case , before rolling out?
Old 12-13-2020, 01:58 PM   #11

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
So, other than just a visual check, should I stomp on the retract button, just in case , before rolling out?
My Tuscany goes through the Jacks up check when I take the parking brake off

Not going to hurt to do a manual retract
Old 12-13-2020, 02:02 PM   #12

THOR #6903
I had well over 100 hydraulic cylinders at any given time on the farm and ranch equipment

Only the ones used repeatedly all day required new seals and then after 1000's of cycles

No way 4 internal seals fail at once unless fluid was contaminated such as metal shavings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
One man’ s junk is another’s gold!
Old 12-14-2020, 02:16 PM   #13

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
The main (not all) failure points of all hydraulics is fluid contamination. Can come from dirt on the cylinder piston rods getting pulled back into the cylinder, which eventually ends up back in the valve manifold and the tank. Can be introduced in the tank when filling. Can be because a hose was not cleaned after fabrication. I hope you changed the fluid 100% in the tank and inspected the bottom for debris. I would recommend that you cycle the jacks and use them several times and then change the fluid again. These units don't have a flush port and nobody has a kidney loop filter around (a Hydraulic device for cleaning fluids). ATF is cheap, jacks are not.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #14

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatics View Post
The main (not all) failure points of all hydraulics is fluid contamination. Can come from dirt on the cylinder piston rods getting pulled back into the cylinder, which eventually ends up back in the valve manifold and the tank. Can be introduced in the tank when filling. Can be because a hose was not cleaned after fabrication. I hope you changed the fluid 100% in the tank and inspected the bottom for debris. I would recommend that you cycle the jacks and use them several times and then change the fluid again. These units don't have a flush port and nobody has a kidney loop filter around (a Hydraulic device for cleaning fluids). ATF is cheap, jacks are not.
They use ATF fluid? I can see it. Just a little surprised. ATF's are hydraulic at the end of the day.

Wonder if you can install a 'shift kit' to make them deploy and retract faster (I'm joking).
Old 12-14-2020, 10:57 PM   #15

THOR #970
I never added fluid in the time I had it. Could have been contamination from factory. Or just a very weak design, like the carb on Oanan gas generators..