Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2016, 06:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Louisiana
THOR #3298
Thor Warranty Stinks - Don't Buy A Thor

So i have complained about my motor on this and other forums before but as my one year is coming to a close i wanted to recap my experience with Thor and warn others. After reading many other horror stories i know my experience isn't the worst but this is the only place to vent my frustrations and possibly save others my heartache.

My motor home is currently in the shop and has been for over 3 weeks now getting the a bunch of warranty issues repaired. Over this year i have made numerous trips to drop off and pick up the motor home and it has spent up to this point over almost 3 months at the dealership. I have dealt with major leaks from exterior caulking, which i ended up fixing myself. It has burnt up 2 batteries, which i replaced myself. It fried the battery charger which i replaced myself. They are supposed to be reimbursing me for that. I have had windows that would not open, shades that would not open. The shower had a big leak and i had to re caulk the shower. The sink was leaking and i had to re caulk that. The fit and finish on many items is just poor, most of which i just repaired myself. This is just the short list of the problem i have had.

The icing on the cake for me is the fading of the front cap. My front cap on my brand new $70,000 coach is severely discolored. Thor has denied a claim on this because they do not warranty fading. This is a complete cop out of the warranty. If i bought a car and the paint peeled within 1 year it would definitely be under warranty. Thor actually blamed the me and the dealer for their crappy paint job, which is a complete insult.

This is my first motor home so i cannot compare to other manufacturers but i know i will NEVER buy a Thor product again. Unless your willing to leave you new motor home at the dealer for weeks at a time during your first year of ownership and shell out hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars for repairs then i would recommend you don't buy a Thor either.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:17 PM   #2

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
What kind of motorhome is it (model?) What year is it?
Old 09-30-2016, 07:21 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
doesn't help you much, but my cap was/is also faded pretty bad. My unit was one that had sat on the dealer's lot for over a year. When I got it, it had been shined up and looked good for the first few months. I assume they had used 303 or something similar and had buffed it out so it looked good, as that wore off I started seeing the fade. So much so that it bummed me out much like it seems you are...

I tried buffing and waxing myself but never had good result. I was about ready to pay $ to bring in a pro detailer to see if they could do anything with it, but I tried the floor polish trick. scrubbed the whole coach really well with barkeeper's friend, than put a few coats of floor polish on it. Wow, I wish I'd have done that sooner. It looks great again and has held up ok for a few months now.
Not a great fix, but I don't get as bummed whenever I see the thing like i used to. I figure a better fix might be to have a body shop spray a clear coat over the thing.... would be a similar thing but should be much more durable and longer lasting.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:34 PM   #4

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
Love my Thor and would be glad to buy another!! Had a forest river before and everyday on their site people had major issues. Good luck on your next brand.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:35 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
and about their warranty...
I have come to the conclusion that it's just their business model.
A company could spend more up front and do better work, from design to build quality.
or
they can spend more on the back end like Thor does.

It seems to me this game they play does a few things to their benefit
1) it supports their dealer network, assuring them a steady stream of work
2) It allows Thor lots of opportunities to deflect work
3) It offers lots of opportunity for owners, especially those that are a bit handy, to save thor the trouble all around, when the owners choose to fix things themselves.

Oh, and my suggestion is to stop making the lists of everything you have done, or that you have had to get done. It only serves to drag me down when i think of it.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:38 PM   #6

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
When (if) you buy another motorhome, don't sign for it without checking it out thoroughly and waiting until the dealer has fixed it to your satisfaction. Then, when you find other items after buying the RV that need warranty repair, don't let the RV set at the dealer waiting for parts. Take it back home (assuming it's drivable) and wait for the dealer to tell you the parts are in stock and ready for installation.

My Thor is the third RV I've bought new in nearly 20 years, all 3 were by different manufacturers, and by 3 different dealers. Not much difference in quality; but HUGE difference in dealers!

I realize your first RV was with Thor, and obviously you're unhappy, but you are painting with a very broad brush.

Safe travels.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:44 PM   #7

Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
THOR #4425
Wowser!!! Your dealer must suck! sorry---it's that simple to start--it does go downhill from there........cannot believe you bought this new in that shape from the dealer and then this stuff Keeps popping up? and not gonna get into the why questions with you except how do you know it's Thor? MAYBE it is a crazy lemon but are you deling with them direct or thru word of mouth dealer and his time frames? He should have NEVER delivered a coach/rv that way to you.......hope you find a "brand" that suits you---0stay away from who ever you bought that one from for sure----
Old 09-30-2016, 08:31 PM   #8

THOR #3298
Thanks for all the replies. The motor home is a 2015 four winds 31E. This being my first motor home or camper i had no idea what i was getting myself into or what to look for/check before buying. Maybe the idea of buying something and having it work was too high of expectation.

I am a very understanding person and as a business man myself i know thing are not always perfect, but I always try to do the right thing by my customers and treat them with respect. i have maintained my composure to this point and not really let it get to me. But at this point I feel disrespected, don't pee on my shoe and tell me its raining.

One issue i have faced though this ordeal is the dealer is 2 hours away from me, my mistake. So dropping off the RV is not a simple thing. I have sent an email to my dealer requesting that they help me with the issue and i will see how that turns out.

Mostly i was venting my frustration to people that may understand and use my only tool to warn others about Thor for what is obviously wrong.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:41 PM   #9

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
Junior 30, I am also a business man, and am very glad my customers give me a chance to do the right thing. I would not be happy if my customers shouted to not use my company because they have a problem. Customer service Is the name of the game. Dealers that are upstanding are getting few and far between. I can understand your frustration and hope things get worked out so you can enjoy your MH like so many of us do. Happy trails!!😀
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:14 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
One option to avoid warranty issues is to buy used, on an as-is basis. That way you can repair things yourself or use whomever you want to do the repairs.

I want new, but the more I read about the hassles so many owners have over the first year, the more I question whether knew is worth it. It would be different if you could custom order new MHs with options you want (of the type MH we are looking at), but since they are pretty much all the same, why not a lightly used one? It seems like a good option to get around poor build quality, poor dealer service, and long periods without use of your motorhome.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:35 PM   #11

THOR #3298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegdrum5050 View Post
Junior 30, I am also a business man, and am very glad my customers give me a chance to do the right thing. I would not be happy if my customers shouted to not use my company because they have a problem. Customer service Is the name of the game. Dealers that are upstanding are getting few and far between. I can understand your frustration and hope things get worked out so you can enjoy your MH like so many of us do. Happy trails!!😀
I understand your point but I gave thor a chance to make it right and they rudely told me over the phone it wasn't their problem. I haven't complained about my dealer because I feel like they have treated me fairly. They didn't build the motor home. I'll see what they say about helping me with the cap issue but I don't feel like it is their fault.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:52 AM   #12

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior30 View Post
I understand your point but I gave thor a chance to make it right and they rudely told me over the phone it wasn't their problem. I haven't complained about my dealer because I feel like they have treated me fairly. They didn't build the motor home. I'll see what they say about helping me with the cap issue but I don't feel like it is their fault.
Who at Thor told you "it wasn't their problem?"
Old 10-01-2016, 01:51 AM   #13

THOR #3298
I spoke with a gentleman with customer service department at Thor motorcoach who said that they consider the discoloration/oxidation of the front cap to be sun fading and the warranty does not cover sun fading. He said the issue was due to lack of maintenance on my and the dealers part. He said it sat on their lot for one year and then I owned if for a year. Which I did attempt to wax it quite a few times when I first got it with no luck.

I have a Lexus that is almost 10 years old and the dash and door panels were fading. I brought it to the dealer for an unrelated item and he noticed it and said it was under warranty. Lexus replaced all my interior dash and door panels at no charge on an older vehicle. That is customer service and Lexus has a customer for life because of it.

For Thor to say that the paint on the exterior of the coach cannot be exposed to sunlight and if it fades because of the sun it's not under warranty is absolutely ludicrous. Sorry if I keep beating a dead horse but I'm astonished with what they can get away with.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:13 AM   #14

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
I guess I am one of the lucky ones who bought a mew Thor. No problems!!
Old 10-01-2016, 10:04 PM   #15

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
No problems he either going on 5 months. On the other side what I saved buying a thor (freedom elite) I could pay for quite a few repairs as they come along. All RV brands are bad. Get the cheapest and it hurts less when you have to get it fixed.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:35 PM   #16

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
Does it really stink?

I traded a 40 ft. Open Range 5th wheel for my 25ft. Thor Synergy on Jan. 2. That 5th wheel had its own set of unique problems that literally made me regret buying the thing - and Open Range even had a 2-year warranty and guess what, all the bad things happened after that 24th month!

Yes the Synergy has had more problems than it should have and yes, I have emailed Thor expressing my displeasure over their poor workmanship and failure of adequate QC before shipment. But, I read about just as many issues (although not identical) with the Winnabego equivalent so I don't feel so bad. Thor Customer Care has worked with me; and my dealer, who is +3 hours away, knows how to work within Thor's system to make things right. I like my little motorhome and hope to get all of the coach warranty work taken care of very soon but it is getting done thanks to my dealer's service manager.

I hope things work out for the best for the OP and that you can start enjoying your new motorhome like you intended.

Regards,
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:08 AM   #17

THOR #4032
We bought a 2015 Ace 29.3 and have had our share of things to be fixed, but as of now all is well. I never a problem with Thor when I called them and they were always polite. I must admit I don't like to have to drive to the dealer (110 miles) so they can write up what needs to be fixed and then wait for the parts and then get it fixed. It is time consuming and tends to eat up the one year warranty. As far as I know, this is how all the brands do it. No problems now, knock on wood.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:16 AM   #18

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
You have to be extremely diligent when you buy a new unit. Never, never, never complete a deal on a new unit thinking all the little things can just be fixed later under warranty. If you see a few things broken, or the fit and finish isn't just right, then tell the dealer your concerns and keep looking.

We signed papers on a new Jayco 31' MH recently. The "check engine" light had been coming on. Came time for delivery and the dealer still did not bothered to have it taken to a truck center to have it fixed and they were too small to handle it. There was no way I was starting out knowing I had warranty issues to deal with. Cancelled deal and kept looking. Next day found a 2 year old Thor MH that has been trouble free so far.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:02 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Dealers are usually at fault for delays..

I still have a leak, originating somewhere, that my dealer (CW) was unable to find/fix, and after speaking with a couple of Thor representatives, I am very satisfied with both the company and their product. After taking the coach back and forth for service (over 1 hour each way) on multiple occasions, with no satisfactory fix, I've been assured the warranty will cover the fix (whenever it's location is found) as well any problems arising from the leak problem in the future, UNTIL that fix is found. One of the Thor people I've had contact with, even set up for me to get service at a totally different dealer/company much nearer to me, giving me the Service Managers name and number as well as his own, while the other Thor person actually read to me word-for-word the items my dealer's service department had billed the warranty for up to that point (with some parts/service no even going into MY coach! sheesh). He also let me know exactly when the work was approved and parts were sent, which varied GREATLY from my dealers version of why it was taking so long; Service dept. says it takes '1 month minimum' while Thor shipped parts and approved within 3-4 days. I haven't taken my coach to the new service department yet, but plan to prior to storing for the winter. The reason Thor wants me to switch service departments and dealers, of course, is because they want that leak to be found and fixed instead of warranting it for the next 20 or so years, or until I finally tip over. I do firmly believe the dealers are more to blame for problems than the manufacturer. I compare the coaches to 'mobile homes and double-wides' when it comes to 'fit and finish' of the interiors and exteriors, rather than a $74,000 vehicle. The Ford chassis is typical Ford tough... no complaints there, and the paint job and decals are going to be protected with wax and a cover whenever the vehicle sits more than 2 weeks at a time. Sometimes the 'catching flies with honey' saying really holds true. I've found if you handle Thor with kid gloves, they will bend over backwards to make you happy.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:56 PM   #20

State: Colorado
THOR #5477
It is all about the dealer! The prep guy at the dealership walked me thru everything and pointed out all those things that they fixed after receiving the unit from the manufacturer. One cannot expect an RV to be perfect due to the number of systems and the complexity of the combination of all the systems. I have a Thor Windsport 29M and love it.