Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2019, 11:21 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 35SK
State: Arizona
THOR #14346
Thanks for all the input.
I am impressed with all the experience here and feedback. I think bypass is the best way to go. My other thoughts were pre filter at filler neck and also what I did on our sailboat. I put a filter under the sink or galley as it were because although we dont drink the potable we put in, we do cook with it. We have also tested it after we ran it through our Berkey, and if ya had to, you can survive with it.

Thanks again. Im just beginning!

Oh and on a side note, I misspelled our name here and dont know how to change it. Its actually PS Cruising.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:33 PM   #22

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Your first mistake was thinking Thor put a water filter in your RV. You sure the previous owner didn't do that installation?
No mistake same with mine.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:51 PM   #23

Model: Newmar
State: Oklahoma
THOR #4495
When I had my Corvair I owned stock in an oil well to keep it running. Now I own a Thor a.c.e and need twenty feet of sewer hose since the dump valves are on the passanger side and the pull cable is on the driver side way to cor Thor I think they also used to be part of the corvair car dept
Old 03-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #24

Model: Four Winds 33SW
State: Idaho
THOR #4147
I Feel Your Pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS Cruisign View Post
Or rather what were the techs thinking? As we continue to work our way through our newly purchased 2016 FW 35SK, we just get stumped every once in a while. Take a look at the pic. Water filter on top of the converter! Better yet, any ideas on how to change the filter without bathing the ohhh, bus bar, breakers, etc? I have an idea on how to solve it but will hold back. Should I call a safety on this one also? This is almost laughable but must have passed inspection.

My 2016 FW 33SW is the same way (see pic). I am going the by-pass route and will use a 2-stage external filter system for both the city connection and filling the tank.

Marshall Poe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 33SW - Poe.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	15917  
Old 03-02-2019, 08:56 PM   #25

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
Hi PS Crusin,

I have a 2016 Thor Synergy and I got a set of drawings from Thor that showed the house water filter inder the passenger-side bed (TT24 model) but it wasn't there. Instead, the shop guys thought it better, or maybe as an afterthought, to put it under the driver's side bed in a totally inaccessible position. I made the dealer remove the filter and I just use in-line filters at the campground hosebib. All of this is just to say that the engineer may have placed the water filter in a location different from where the shop installed it. I haven't read all of the posts but if you have a plumbing layout for your rig it may show the filter somewhere else.

Regards
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:56 PM   #26

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS Cruisign View Post
Or rather what were the techs thinking? As we continue to work our way through our newly purchased 2016 FW 35SK, we just get stumped every once in a while. Take a look at the pic. Water filter on top of the converter! Better yet, any ideas on how to change the filter without bathing the ohhh, bus bar, breakers, etc? I have an idea on how to solve it but will hold back. Should I call a safety on this one also? This is almost laughable but must have passed inspection.
I notice the tangle of wires. Why they couldn't run them a little neater and tie them is just plain not caring. I fixed all mine nice and neat.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:58 PM   #27

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorace1 View Post
When I had my Corvair I owned stock in an oil well to keep it running. Now I own a Thor a.c.e and need twenty feet of sewer hose since the dump valves are on the passanger side and the pull cable is on the driver side way to cor Thor I think they also used to be part of the corvair car dept

Actually 2 pull valves. One by sewer hook up and one on the other side directly under black tank. This is to keep solids from building up in pipe. You open Hose side first then the other.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:11 PM   #28

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
I'm not sure why the factories, any of them, feel as though they 'have' to provide a whole house water filter, when anyone who takes their RV out to the campground or rv park can easily attach their own, at the spigot, where a water drip or leak is narry' a problem.

Early on, I found that ours, mounted on the passenger side water tank bay, stuffed in between the water tank and the sidewall on the left, was not only very difficult to reach and change the filter, but also perplexed as to why they would waste all of the additional 20' of water lines to have it mounted on the complete OPPOSITE side from where it makes SENSE to mount it - in the WET BAY! So, I did it myself.

Later, I actually wondered WHY I even needed a whole house water filter that is mounted IN the wet bay, where it just requires even more connections that can possibly leak. If I'm going to have to hook up to spigot/pressurized water anyway, why not USE the whole house filter AT the spigot(?)... so, I removed the water filter canister system from the wet bay all together, and now just attach it DIRECTLY to the spigot, and the output to the RV connection. If it leaks, who cares.

When I leave, I remove the water canister from the spigot, unscrew and drain it... no more water sitting in the filter while traveling. The filter has ALREADY filtered any water into the water tank, so no worries there either.

Could I just do without a filter all together(?)... yes. I've never worried about campground or rv park water, or even water provided at a dump station. But that's just me. I guess since I have the filter, I'll use it. : )
I'm with you on this. Our first travel trailer had a whole house filter accessed through a door outside. The access was ONLY for that filter. Well...it never did freeze when winter camping. Maybe coach heat got in there. Who knows...we have always camped year round and temps in the teens and 20s just mean we will likely have the campground to ourselves.

Our next TT had the WH filter in a place inside so damn hard to get to I rarely changed it. Now our fun little 26' class C has no WH filter. So I do what you said. I do the filtering from the spigot. It's easier for me and works just as well. Now I don't worry about anything getting into any part of my coach system.

As far as campground water...we use it for whatever. My military and mission times in some very remote areas of the world taught me some things about the US. Our worst water is better than the best in most parts of the world. Maybe I developed a tolerance. But when you discover the source of that "fancy bottled water" it is usually nothing better than the supply the campground has anyway.

So..filter at the spigot...and drink and brush and fill your tank. If the people there are living on it it won't kill you. Enjoy more and worry less.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:50 PM   #29

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
So, what’s the issue. It’s an RV and in an RV you will often find water and electrical in close proximity. It’s a frigging battery charger, get over it. Put a shiel over it and quit complaining.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:18 PM   #30

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Wow...harsh
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:30 PM   #31

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Texas
THOR #3182
Quote:
I'm not sure why the factories, any of them, feel as though they 'have' to provide a whole house water filter, when anyone who takes their RV out to the campground or rv park can easily attach their own, at the spigot, where a water drip or leak is narry' a problem.

Early on, I found that ours, mounted on the passenger side water tank bay, stuffed in between the water tank and the sidewall on the left, was not only very difficult to reach and change the filter, but also perplexed as to why they would waste all of the additional 20' of water lines to have it mounted on the complete OPPOSITE side from where it makes SENSE to mount it - in the WET BAY! So, I did it myself.

Later, I actually wondered WHY I even needed a whole house water filter that is mounted IN the wet bay, where it just requires even more connections that can possibly leak. If I'm going to have to hook up to spigot/pressurized water anyway, why not USE the whole house filter AT the spigot(?)... so, I removed the water filter canister system from the wet bay all together, and now just attach it DIRECTLY to the spigot, and the output to the RV connection. If it leaks, who cares.

When I leave, I remove the water canister from the spigot, unscrew and drain it... no more water sitting in the filter while traveling. The filter has ALREADY filtered any water into the water tank, so no worries there either.

Could I just do without a filter all together(?)... yes. I've never worried about campground or rv park water, or even water provided at a dump station. But that's just me. I guess since I have the filter, I'll use it. : )
I owe you a big Thank You for this by the way, I couldn’t recall who’s idea from here I “borrowed” but I followed your steps and did the exact same thing as you with that filter and pump. Moved it to the other side like any sane human being would have done originally.
Like you I eliminated about 20’ of pipe and numerous fittings from the equation. It sure makes you realize there is absolutely no pride in workmanship when it comes to running water lines on these things, I guess we can only hope they are more invested in the rest of the coach build out. :fingers crossed:
Old 03-02-2019, 11:33 PM   #32

Model: Four Winds 33SW
State: Idaho
THOR #4147
Hence his screen name. Pay him no mind.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:56 PM   #33

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Florida
THOR #6899
Shows how much I know DUH! I have a 31W 2017 and didn't even know it had an onboard water filter. I bought an external one thinking it would improve the city water quality and we could do without bottled water.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:56 PM   #34

Model: 31W
State: South Carolina
THOR #1213
Water filter

I have a 2015 Chateau 31W. I found the water filter under the sink, which I didn't even know it had, when I connected the water and heard it spraying under the sink. I winterized it but water was still in it and froze and burst. I removed it and connected the lines together and made it with quick connectors for outside full house filter. Now it is easier to change filter and check for leaks. We don't camp in winter so no fear of freezing. Picture attached.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:33 AM   #35

THOR #1213
Quote:
Originally Posted by richbam View Post
Shows how much I know DUH! I have a 31W 2017 and didn't even know it had an onboard water filter. I bought an external one thinking it would improve the city water quality and we could do without bottled water.
I found that the cannister didn't have a filter in it. I had CW winterize it the 1st time and I guess they took the filter out or 1 was never put in from Thor. You might want to check yours and see.

Figured out how to attach picture..(I hope)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0709181036.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	15945  
Old 03-03-2019, 12:45 AM   #36

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I think you'll find that it's common practice from manufacturers NOT to install the filter, only to provide it to the owner so that it can be installed when THEY start to use the coach. Might some dealers install it prior to a sale? maybe... but typically it's part of your 'package' that comes from the factory. I doubt most of us would want a filter, a water drinking filter, that might have been sitting in a canister for the better park of a year sometimes before the unit is sold. We would just as quickly complain about that, too.

Now, just as in many things with new RV purchases, it would be NICE if the dealer or factory made this information CLEAR to the new owner. No, a canister missing it's filter is not a deal breaker, but just a little aggravating.

I never knew I didn't have a filter in ours, either, until I decided that 6 months later it might be a good time to 'change' the filter - what a shock. No wonder they gave us an 'extra' one, as an extra I thought.... oooops, it actually was the ONLY one!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:43 AM   #37

THOR #1213
Water filter with quick connects and cut off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0709181036.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	15946  
Old 03-03-2019, 02:51 PM   #38

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannie0429 View Post
I found that the cannister didn't have a filter in it. I had CW winterize it the 1st time and I guess they took the filter out or 1 was never put in from Thor. You might want to check yours and see.

Figured out how to attach picture..(I hope)
Filters must be removed for winterizing and you don't want to use the for more than 90 days and less than that if you have questionable water
Old 03-03-2019, 02:56 PM   #39

THOR #6903
Quote:
I think you'll find that it's common practice from manufacturers NOT to install the filter, only to provide it to the owner so that it can be installed when THEY start to use the coach. Might some dealers install it prior to a sale? maybe... but typically it's part of your 'package' that comes from the factory. I doubt most of us would want a filter, a water drinking filter, that might have been sitting in a canister for the better park of a year sometimes before the unit is sold. We would just as quickly complain about that, too.

Now, just as in many things with new RV purchases, it would be NICE if the dealer or factory made this information CLEAR to the new owner. No, a canister missing it's filter is not a deal breaker, but just a little aggravating.

I never knew I didn't have a filter in ours, either, until I decided that 6 months later it might be a good time to 'change' the filter - what a shock. No wonder they gave us an 'extra' one, as an extra I thought.... oooops, it actually was the ONLY one!
It truly is something that should be stressed in the PDI

Many of the campers are older with compromised immune systems and sure don't need water problems

If a filter is out of service for more than a few days it should be discarded and replaced. Bacteria thrives with carbon as a nutrient. If you are on chlorinated water as a supply it isn't quite as important but if on well/or non chlorinated supply, toss the cartridge and replace it

There is way more coliform in the water now due to the increased population than anytime in history and chlorination and chlorinator controls fail as due the operators of water systems. There are many boil water orders out there at any given time.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:14 PM   #40

THOR #6903
Since I disagree with a bunch of you as I think the two filter method and three if you count the one in the fridge is the way to go for many reasons. I do agree back in the day it wasn't so much of an issue however the water supply is finite and stressed as are the water treatment plants. Luckily the Tuscany filter is on the right side of the wet bay and very easy to exchange so I understand your pain with the stupid locations.

The BAT (best available technology) for your water and health is use the hose mounted as a rust/sediment filter and attach it after you sanitize the hose bib as the last guy probably had his black tank hose attached there and picked it up off the ground where he had already had a minor spill from hooking up the sewer hose.

Your second line of defense is the taste/odor/carbon filter in the coach. This is the one that is critical to never use over or allow to stay in service for more than approximately 90 days. Perfect conditions then 6 months of use between exchanges.

Finally if you have a residential fridge with a filter, same deal, keep it current and use it if anyone has any kind of health issues. I stress all this as many of us are 70 plus and I am not a germ freak, just cautious as I watch Cousin Eddy all the time hooking the black rinse hose to the same bib I need to get my coffee water from.

Lastly, many folks think they have never had an issue with water but have had flue like symptoms but really don't know why? Water isn't as safe or pure as it was 50 years ago and the chlorine may or may not kill all the microbes. Unless you run your own DPD test you don't know if there is any free chlorine in the potable water either.

Keep the filters changed as needed