Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2016, 01:25 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
THOUGHT I pulled the trigger on Axis 25.2

Yes, we thought we did. Found the model we wanted at a distant CW. Closer CW I'm working with set up the transfer. We agreed on numbers, and I put a deposit down. They contacted the distant CW and then arranged for it to be driven to closer CW. Oh Joy! New Axis! I had already added insurance, set up a loan at my CU and generally jumped through all the hoops necessary when getting a new vehicle.

Not so fast.

Got a call yesterday. Seems the distant CW decided to go ahead and sell it even though a deposit had been put down.
Yes, go ahead and think of all those profanities.

The salesman I'm working with was embarrassed, mad, at a loss. My thought?
Hmm, this could work in my favor. It's not the only one in the world.

Found another, far away. Better equipped, less mileage (800), preferred color interior, good price with trade. Transfer is in the works. NOTHING will be set up until it arrives on their lot. The adventure continues.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:01 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
Another tale of woe about a Camping World facility.

Fortunately it seems you have not let it alter your excitement for a new rig! Good for you!

When you get it please post pictures. And CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Old 08-11-2016, 02:13 AM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Congratulations!! Can't blame you for being upset with CW. Wishing you much luck with the transfer on the one you like better. Things sometime just work themselves out to one's favor.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:20 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
You are gonna love the 25.2

We just bought the 25.2 VEGAS a month ago (from a non CW Dealer). We love it. Been a couple of issues (Transfer switch connections melted, overhead AC vents didn't work) which we took care of ourselves...

We did let the dealer actually put screws in the interior frame holding the slide (There were only two screws on one side and none on the other).

But, other than that we love the layout and the fact that there is no wall behind the drivers seat to allow some movement of the seat back.

We also like the fact that the slides aren't on the sides (great for narrow spot camping)

Just had to jump in and add my two cents
Old 08-11-2016, 03:14 AM   #5

THOR #4735
sounds like our experience back in Aug '14...

found a great Thor Challenger bunkhouse on MHSRV website, everything looked as we wanted, picked it from their lineup and contacted the sales dpt to reserve it for us, with loan approved, and Georgetown tradein setup.

arrived at the TX lot in mid Aug, 100+ degrees, hot!...

but, uh oh, Challenger had not yet arrived(???) - MHSRV adds these units to their website many times well BEFORE they actually arrive. For some reason, either our arrival dates got backwards, or their delivery date was miss-typed. We would have to wait it out...

so...
since we were already on the lot, full of BRAND NEW motorcoaches galore, the DW started noticing the Thor PALAZZO diesel pushers.... she likee!! (that means she really 'digs' them). I said, 'no!', I do not want a diesel. I know nothing about them. Them 'scare' me.

so...
she won. We decided to make the trade for the Palazzo bunkhouse instead...

and...

p.s. she was right : /
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:48 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Check the coach good, good, good before you sign anything. There is a post on the forum about someone that went through the transfer process and the first CW took parts off the coach before the transfer and did not tell the receiving CW until after the owner took possession and had problems.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #7
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Check the coach good, good, good before you sign anything. There is a post on the forum about someone that went through the transfer process and the first CW took parts off the coach before the transfer and did not tell the receiving CW until after the owner took possession and had problems.
That would be us !
and we cannot stress enough...do a COMPLETE PDI !! do not 'assume' that you know how everything works and that it works properly.
We got caught up in that...it was a freezing winter morning in January..rainy, with possible freezing...in the back of our mind, we just wanted to hit the road for home.
Being experienced rv owners..haveing had a toyhualer and 2 motorhomes, previously,...we breezed through the pdi and I recorded it on my ipad just in case we forgot anything.
NEVER occurred to us to have him disconnect the Shore Power and make sure everything worked using the house batteries !
Long, well documented, story short....turns out the CW where the Axis was originally delivered, then transferred to KC CW for us...had robbed the unit of a critical electrical component and did not tell our CW !
Once we found the problem CW made an appointment the next day and we were in and out in about 2 hours or so.

So...that is our story...hoping purchasers learn from our lesson learned !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:48 PM   #8

THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Thanks. I intend to go over everything, presence and operational condition, before signing. I've walked through enough RVs on lots to know that parts can be missing whether from being taken for other RVs or browsers stealing parts for their use on RVs at home. One local dealer started keeping all units locked after replacing lots of TVs.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:29 PM   #9

THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
That would be us !
and we cannot stress enough...do a COMPLETE PDI !! do not 'assume' that you know how everything works and that it works properly.
We got caught up in that...it was a freezing winter morning in January..rainy, with possible freezing...in the back of our mind, we just wanted to hit the road for home.
Being experienced rv owners..haveing had a toyhualer and 2 motorhomes, previously,...we breezed through the pdi and I recorded it on my ipad just in case we forgot anything.
NEVER occurred to us to have him disconnect the Shore Power and make sure everything worked using the house batteries !
Long, well documented, story short....turns out the CW where the Axis was originally delivered, then transferred to KC CW for us...had robbed the unit of a critical electrical component and did not tell our CW !
Once we found the problem CW made an appointment the next day and we were in and out in about 2 hours or so.

So...that is our story...hoping purchasers learn from our lesson learned !!
Wow! Didn't think about disconnecting from shore power and checking everything. That's a valuable piece of info as RW would say. Thanks so much.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:00 PM   #10

THOR #4466
Part two of the ongoing adventure:

Received a call this morning that the 2nd transferred Axis had arrived.

Good!

Well, maybe. Maybe not.

The rep said that the a/c knobs were missing. Not a big deal. Easy to replace.

But.... (you knew that was coming)

There was also very loose wrinkles in the wallpaper behind the driver seat. Seemed firm, no soft spots behind the wrinkles.

But...(again)

On the passenger side behind the seat there were big lumps in the wallpaper that "might" be construction trash.
It's a 2016 at a good price so I asked when it was built. 10/15. Long time on the lot for some reason.

He then floored me by saying that if I wanted to look at it that was fine but if him, he would turn it down. They would send it back and get another somewhere.

It gets better. He then said they would give me the same deal on a 2017. I then said "Send it back!"

They were searching for another.
I was searching for another.
Found a nice 2017 500 miles away.
Texted the stock number.
He texted "Checking on it", then "Available. Arranging transport, will call when it hits the lot."

Hope this works out. I have reservations at two parks in Sept and Oct.

Stay tuned. The adventure continues.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:02 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #2123
Dang!!! You have stories to tell even BEFORE your rig arrives!
Old 08-12-2016, 11:44 PM   #12

THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine By Choice View Post
Dang!!! You have stories to tell even BEFORE your rig arrives!
Just want to spread the joy. After the frustration and anger following the first debacle we now have to find the humor. A couple of times a day DW looks at me and asks if we're buying a new MH. I respond with something like, "Gee, I'm not sure. I think we are."

CW rep has been very good. They're about 150 miles away from me.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:18 AM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
Wonderdog's going to make Senior Member before the ink dries on the contract.

My 2 cents:take your Video Camera and Video tape your walk thru and your PDI. Point at problems/questionable areas -record reply -ask questions with the tape running as things get forgotten when the adrenalin rush kicks in. I only took pictures and notes (as did my DW) on our PDI but still forgot a couple of things we spotted but forgot to write down. Fortunately, our CW of Statesville worked with us in getting things fixed.

Also, if they offer an overnight stay on the lot, do it! There were several things we found out we did not know how to do until the first "trial campout" in the front yard.

Echo the others on getting Ed's Manual before you buy, great PDI list in there.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:47 AM   #14

THOR #4466
Thanks Doc! We intend to camp overnight. A local dealer (not Axis dealer) encouraged staying in their camping area overnight if we bought there. Good dealer, just didn't carry what we wanted.
I already have Ed's manual. (Thanks Ed!) It arrived much quicker than the Axis.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:04 PM   #15

Model: Four Winds 22E
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Wonderdog's going to make Senior Member before the ink dries on the contract.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Echo the others on getting Ed's Manual before you buy, great PDI list in there.

Doc
I have re-read this thread twice, and can't figure out what Ed's Manual is. (Unfortunately I grew up being taught to skim read)

Please someone, enlighten me.

Ken

On Edit:

I just noticed that I became a senior member with this very post. Believe me I don't deserve it. I guess I'm just verbose, because I'm still trying to figure out WTH is going on.
Just like the proverbial "Dog watching TV" - I know something's going on. I'm just not sure what.

Ken
Old 08-13-2016, 05:28 PM   #16

State: Texas
THOR #4397
I'm sure that Ed will come by and give you a link to the most recent version of his Vegas manual.

It is very thorough and very good!
Old 08-13-2016, 05:57 PM   #17

THOR #2142
47&79,

I like your handle (Ag&Au), thought you might be from the North Pole (Yukon Cornelis - "Silver and Gold").

Ed has generated a very complete Manual for the Axis/Vegas 24.1 specifically but applies to the other models. It has been updated several times over the past year, is complied based on input of various Owners and items of intrest this Forum.

It is WELL worth the time getting and reading!

Doc

Old 08-14-2016, 04:54 AM   #18

State: Texas
THOR #4397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I have re-read this thread twice, and can't figure out what Ed's Manual is. (Unfortunately I grew up being taught to skim read)

Please someone, enlighten me.
Ed's screename is bevedfelker. Send him a personal message and he will send you a link to his updated Vegas manual.

Good Luck!
Old 08-14-2016, 10:28 AM   #19

State: New Jersey
THOR #4954
Ed's manual

I found Ed's manual by clicking his member name and searching though his posts. What a great document for a RV newbie like myself. I have what may be an obvious question. When doing the PDI I what happens if you find something more structural wrong like twisted frame, roof issue or even poor paint job. Do they replace the RV or does the RV dealership fix everything?
Old 08-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #20

THOR #2142
MaurD,

That is why you do the PDI before signing on the dotted line...you have leverage to get it fixed on their dime not yours. You list the problems as deal breakers if they do not fix them prior to delivery and prior to signing.
Our biggest PDI defect required the replacement of the inside covering over the two columns holding the windshield in as they had gaps up to 1/2 inch wide and 18 inches long between the plastic covering and the columns. We had half a dozen or so smaller defects (screws missing, drawers not locking into place, broken lock on passanger side sliding window, etc).
If you do not want to live with it after the sale, get it fixed before you sign.

Doc