Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2023, 04:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Thousand Trails - What Happened??

We have been TT campers pass 2 zone people for a while. We live in Washington and have enjoyed the forested Pacific coast sites. But they have turned to sh&t. Our favorites look more like the migrant camps of the great depression. We just pulled into one and we got the only site available. Looks like time to not re up. Have a trip to Palm Springs and think we will be waiting out the trend of full timers and hopefully TT maintains better in the future.

Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 04:43 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
We have been TT campers pass 2 zone people for a while. We live in Washington and have enjoyed the forested Pacific coast sites. But they have turned to sh&t. Our favorites look more like the migrant camps of the great depression. We just pulled into one and we got the only site available. Looks like time to not re up. Have a trip to Palm Springs and think we will be waiting out the trend of full timers and hopefully TT maintains better in the future.
Depends on the park. We’ve recently stayed in TT parks in IN, NC, FL, OH, NJ and VA that are all sinking major money in new sections, upgrades and improvements. During our April to October trip last year about 75 percent of the time was in TT parks. We did leave one park in IN after one night. In all actuality, the crappy site we got at that park was our fault for getting their a day late. Live and learn.
Old 02-10-2023, 04:46 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 04:50 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
All propaganda and needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Just as many, if not more, YT videos praising the programs as their are trashing the program.

Just as biased as the Thor forum.
Old 02-10-2023, 05:04 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
All propaganda and needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Just as many, if not more, YT videos praising the programs as their are trashing the program.

Just as biased as the Thor forum.
Actually, Eric had many videos praising the benefits of a TT membership before this video. But after getting the short end several times he made the linked video.

We could say the same about other camping programs. We were adamant supporters and members of PassPort America buying multiple year memberships in the last 20 years and using their parks more often than not, coming out ahead on savings years after year. I have many post on this Forum recommending them.

It is not that way anymore. There are far fewer participating parks and those that do participate have so many restrictions that you can't hardly use them; such as:

Only available for 2 months out of the year.
Not available with reservations.
Only available Mon - Thur.
Must stay 3 or more nights.
Can't use for more than one night.
Etc.

We're working on a 30 day trip right now and it looks like no stops will be at a PPA park.
We will not renew when our current membership is up.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 05:06 PM   #6

THOR #22245
Quote:
Depends on the park. We’ve recently stayed in TT parks in IN, NC, FL, OH, NJ and VA that are all sinking major money in new sections, upgrades and improvements. During our April to October trip last year about 75 percent of the time was in TT parks. We did leave one park in IN after one night. In all actuality, the crappy site we got at that park was our fault for getting their a day late. Live and learn.
Hopefully they start out here. TT started up in Washington and Oregon and would think they would have worked on them as they are the oldest. They have improved bathrooms but electrical and the sites are worse every year. Hard to find a site that we do not have to drive over blocks to level without wheels off the ground. Almost no gravel and with the amount of rain we get the rv is surrounded with mud and giant puddles. Don't need concrete or pavers just get rid of the moats. We like the locations and if they just would keep up maintenance and start reducing the number of semi permanent. The Palm Springs and Arizona sites are a different story but they have totally neglected the Pacific Northwest locations.
Old 02-10-2023, 05:29 PM   #7

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
I am now in the TT park in Las Vedas, parked next to a Fifth Wheel that looks as though it has been parked there for years. Most of the sites are so close together that there is barely enough room to park your toad next to the MH. There is another older MH in the park with a tarp over the roof. The LV TT is land locked with no room for expansion so I think the only way for improvements on this park would be to build a new park on undeveloped land.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 05:54 PM   #8

THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
I am now in the TT park in Las Vedas, parked next to a Fifth Wheel that looks as though it has been parked there for years. Most of the sites are so close together that there is barely enough room to park your toad next to the MH. There is another older MH in the park with a tarp over the roof. The LV TT is land locked with no room for expansion so I think the only way for improvements on this park would be to build a new park on undeveloped land.
Thanks for that news. We have an Uncle in Henderson and we were thinking of staying there. Will pass... There is one by Lancaster Ca that is pretty nice last time we stayed especially when warm and of kids. Massive pool.Bend Oregon is another great one. One sewer at all because of water table but worth it. Santa Barbara has a great one. Just need to make sure your toad goes up the road first in case there is someone leaving after 12:00. Not enough room for two going opposite direction.
Old 02-12-2023, 04:02 AM   #9

THOR #28145
Quote:
Thanks for that news. We have an Uncle in Henderson and we were thinking of staying there. Will pass... There is one by Lancaster Ca that is pretty nice last time we stayed especially when warm and of kids. Massive pool.Bend Oregon is another great one. One sewer at all because of water table but worth it. Santa Barbara has a great one. Just need to make sure your toad goes up the road first in case there is someone leaving after 12:00. Not enough room for two going opposite direction.
To be fair Most of the Las Vegas Campgrounds are very tight. Some are even tighter than the TT campground. I guess they figure that when they can't keep grass growing anyway the space is best used to park RVs.

Old 02-12-2023, 05:11 AM   #10
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
The Los Vegas TT had rebuilt the entire section to the left side as you drive in. We have not stayed there for the last six years. Got tired of the gun fire outside of the park. We stay at the Los Vegas Oasis RV Resort.
Old 02-12-2023, 04:40 PM   #11

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
The Los Vegas TT had rebuilt the entire section to the left side as you drive in. We have not stayed there for the last six years. Got tired of the gun fire outside of the park. We stay at the Los Vegas Oasis RV Resort.
Just my luck, I am on the east boundary, the right side of the property.

Old 02-12-2023, 06:53 PM   #12

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
"Post Covid Campgrounds" is what you're experiencing. Many factors...real estate prices off the chart...folks losing their homes...old campers are cheap and plentiful. People are buying them and literally moving into campgrounds, living there full time. There used to be a few in the back of most campgrounds. We've seen many of what used to be a decent campground has now turned into an RV trailer park.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 10:26 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
We had free year (2019- 2020) of Thousand Trail that came with our new RV purchase. Technically Pre & Post Covid.

One of the few things listened to from Finance Manager. We thought great as we had 15 hour drive home we would simply stay in one Zone ( SE USA). So I called a few sites in Florida to spend the night. None would take us in because we were too new and no reservation in advance. So I tried to find where we might be a few days out and there were no RV Park Members on out destination route. Surprisingly ZERO in Arkansas.

Later we would try to schedule a vacation in Texas trying to find a member Park. They were either always on the opposite side of the lake we wanted to be on, or they looked like crap. Some had very few pictures so it was hard to tell what they might look like.

We finally found one and to our surprise they did exactly like they were suppose to and it really was free and we had plenty of space and next to lake, no boat access, but we could see it from campsite.

We spent the next 6 months trying to find another, but we always ended up in State Parks as a matter of preference.

Then the renewal came, and it was $600 Since then it was Happy Trails Thousand Trails Where you live matters greatly to even get in their ballgame. Unless we are going to stay for a few days as a true getaway destination, we don't really need campsites when just traveling on the highway in route to a destination. Where I park is home and we boondock our way and do just fine. (note: we are not full timers and are normal trip is less than 5 days) We just assume to pay the going rate to get a high quality campsite when we actually need one.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 11:13 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
All depends on the parks. All these are different TT parks we stayed at in NJ, NC, IN, and OH last year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	09066FEE-38D0-4BD4-924B-B1F27A057D53.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	40840

Name:	A02CD5F0-6817-4C63-B685-490135ABF13F.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	40841

Name:	404A1CAE-0F3D-4CDC-B303-9F9CD7922117.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	309.2 KB
ID:	40842

Name:	FF9353B2-EBEA-490A-A176-9C740E43169F.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	40843

We use YouTube and Facebook to check out parks during our trip planning process.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:19 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
We have had a TT membership since the 1990s and have seen many ups and downs with the condition of the 'preserves'. Overall, we like the concept and use them when possible.

When I hear certain TT destinations are crowded, I take that as a positive. I have been told by TT employees the more campers they have, the more funding they get from the head office.

I have to take exception with the posted video from Nomadic Fanatic. His videos should be completely ignored as he is a well known e-beggar that has scammed many, many people.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 11:32 PM   #16

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I worked at the tt in Idyllwild CA the first year they took over the Park, I think 1980. They still honored the public reservation for that year also. What a fun job for a 20 year old. Girls, electrical, girls, plumbing, chopping down trees. Great job But not a career.

I went back with the 29m about 3 years ago. What a disappointment. It was run down, 3 small fishing ponds gone, general store only open 2 days, outdoor stage destroyed. When I worked there we had entertainment every Friday Saturday night

I'd never go back. It's not the same

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 01:00 AM   #17

THOR #22245
I am thinking they are spending money on the big ones in Florida and other sunshine states. Hopefully for us they will work on the site this year. They are making it hard to give them my money. We have been to in our 2 zones and only a couple are useable in the rain or not with have the park looking like a Portland homeless camp. There is a big difference between full timers with well kept site and what TT tolerates.
Old 02-13-2023, 01:49 AM   #18
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
I am thinking they are spending money on the big ones in Florida and other sunshine states. Hopefully for us they will work on the site this year. They are making it hard to give them my money. We have been to in our 2 zones and only a couple are useable in the rain or not with have the park looking like a Portland homeless camp. There is a big difference between full timers with well kept site and what TT tolerates.
It boils down to site management and what they allow and how they spend their improvement dollars. We have driven through a few parks that we would never stay at because they are predominantly seasonal sites looking like slums.

On the flip side I just reserved 63 nights for June, July and August. These are at parks we’ve stayed at before and one park that assigns sites for rigs over 35 feet.

This was our last site at Indian Lakes in Batesville, IN. This park is located with a KOA on the same property.

Name:	0495E400-EC81-4AA1-A91F-D6A6232F75B7.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	40844
Old 02-13-2023, 07:28 AM   #19

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
All depends on the parks. All these are different TT parks we stayed at in NJ, NC, IN, and OH last year.

We use YouTube and Facebook to check out parks during our trip planning process.
That Rig gonna look good anywhere. It distorts the perception of the real view of campground. Put Michael Jordan on any basketball court and it will somehow looks worthy despite being a YMCA.

I guess I should add that TT benefit is for high volume users that travel in the areas designated. The Zone concept rubs me the wrong way. Not much around me to crow about and if I take my RV to Washington State or Florida the extra cost of Campsite is chump change compared to my gas costs.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 01:04 PM   #20
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
That Rig gonna look good anywhere. It distorts the perception of the real view of campground. Put Michael Jordan on any basketball court and it will somehow looks worthy despite being a YMCA.

I guess I should add that TT benefit is for high volume users that travel in the areas designated. The Zone concept rubs me the wrong way. Not much around me to crow about and if I take my RV to Washington State or Florida the extra cost of Campsite is chump change compared to my gas costs.
You are correct, before we started traveling for months at a time there was zero or negative value to TT. Our first free membership wasn’t worth it because of parks in areas we had no desire to visit in a Motorhome. Since we started traveling from April thru October the use of the system has paid for itself, to include elite status, in campground savings.

With that said, I have been told, and my research has determined, that there are very few, if any, ‘real nice’ reserves west of the Mississippi. When we went west the past two years there weren’t any TT parks along our route once we went through IN.

It basically boils down to perceived value at the individual level.

What amazes me is when talking to folks at some parks, how many think some parks are great when I see nothing but a run down site full of what should be condemned long term RVs that haven’t seen soap and water in a decade. I guess it’s cheaper for them to pay the annual site fee than to haul off their junk.