Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2014, 02:15 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
Hurricane 27k review

The good:
great floor plan, appointments are nice, ie, full size microwave, soild counter tops, sink cover, huge closets in bedroom, king bed. We got the power driver seat, outside Tv and 15btu a/c. The front seat rotate to the rear , though the driver seat does not fully, but is Ok to sit and watch TV.
I wish they put a 12v plug in the bedroom, I will be installing one soon.
The bad:
2ND day into our shakedown cruise the water started coming from under the fridge, the hose to the sink drain came loose. I tried to secure it but it came loose again, likely from the electrical box jamming it every time the slide is moved.
The wires from one of the holding tanks runs across the dump valve lever, so you have to hold the wires to the side as you pull the lever. I will be changing this soon as we get the rig back from all the repair shops it has to go to ( the ugly)
Bathroom door / wall, is not square so door does not meet door latch or frame correctly.
The pantry door is not secure and on our first trip 500 yards from our dealer pulling into a gas station the pantry door flew out into the opposite storage door and put a hole in the wood from the handle bashing into it. We had the dealer install a metal safe lock thing on return from our "burn in" trip..

Wind comes thru the seals around the windows, the windows rattle, the radio has awful reception.
The second step has a tear in it, and every model I have been in at shows and dealers has had the same issue. The rubber mat is slightly to long then the step so just cut it to fit already!
The bezels around the cup holder are free willy, not contented to anything..

The ugly
The microwave squeaked the whole time, the dealer tried twice to fix it buy putting rubber strips in, but when I got back home I had a look, the screws for the mounting bracket were not all the way in, they were the wrong size, way to small and the mounting bracket had no support due to a lack of shim. On top of that the microwave could not be fully tighten down due to the type of fastener they used, a screwdriver type, but no room for a screwdriver so I replace them with hex bolts and tighten the unit along with shimming the space and installing proper size bolts to hold the bracket. Very poor workmanship/QC. There are a number of screws that are not straight in as well, and one on the window sill that vibrate out as you drive because it is not connected to anything.
vibration on test drive, dealer said to have it fixed and would take care of it.. winds up being 1 wheel out of round, 2 tires out of round so far Ford Chassis has not warranty anything and their recommended dealer had it for almost 4 weeks, took it for a test drive charged me $115 to tell me they thought it rode good, and to go to a Ford car dealer for a new wheel <?>
The chassis A/c is not working so the local THOR dealer told me to drop it off and in 3 weeks they would look at it, after being at the Ford dealer for 3 weeks for the same problem, but could not give me an appointment in 3 weeks (Camping World) The same dealer told me they only sell tires, not warranty them, and I have to contact the manufacturer even though the Goodyear Website says to contact the local dealer first.
After taking it to a commercial tire store for balancing they found 2 out of round tires plus 1 out of round wheel, the same the Ford dealer should have found. When contacting the Ford dealer again about this they told me to go to an automotive Ford dealer as they did not deal in wheels and tire. A call to their parts dept proved they could order the wheel so obviously that Ford dealer was not interested in providing warranty work and customer service..Lying to your face in another thing.

Now the waiting begins with a series of letters.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:25 PM   #2

State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Greetings Petef,

Was curious as to how things are going with your 27K? We recently purchased a 2016 and haven't had a chance to take it out for a real test.

It sounds like you've had a lot of issues to deal with and I'm wondering if you've been having any luck in getting them resolved?

We really like the layout of the 27K and are hoping it will give us many years of good service. However I'm always coming to the forums with mixed feelings because there is so much bad stuff posted!

Thanks for any updated info you can provide!

Eileen
Old 05-26-2015, 06:37 PM   #3

THOR #970
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeliec View Post
Greetings Petef,

Was curious as to how things are going with your 27K? We recently purchased a 2016 and haven't had a chance to take it out for a real test.

It sounds like you've had a lot of issues to deal with and I'm wondering if you've been having any luck in getting them resolved?

We really like the layout of the 27K and are hoping it will give us many years of good service. However I'm always coming to the forums with mixed feelings because there is so much bad stuff posted!

Thanks for any updated info you can provide!

Eileen
I highly recommend you take it to an alignment shop and have the alignment checked, mine was out 5/8 in and wore down the rf tire in 2500 miles.
You should check the things I mentioned, microwave mounting and sink hose under the fridge for issues. I have done the "fix" to the suspension and it is well worth the money invested. Get adjustable Hellwig links for the front, swap front and rear sway links to the inside holes (search CHF )and put a tracbar on the rear. Now you can drive it over 50 MPH without fear. I also got barrier material and put it under the driver and pass sides seats and foot areas as well as around the inside of the engine cover to block the heat and noise. My floor pad would get over 140 degrees in the summer. I added a second coach battery as the single one barely last a day when dry camping. I bought a solar panel from Home Depot and put it out when we are in National parks so it works out pretty well. Once you get the rig the way it should have been from the factory it is fun to drive and go places.
My dealer and Thor paid for all the bills I incurred as to the warrant able issues so I am not out of pocket except for my add ons I had done. Would I buy another Thor? Probably.. if I liked the floor plan, but next time I know what to demand and inspect before I take delivery. I don't know if they have fixed some of the bad engineering on the 2015 such as the hole for the dump pipe is not under the dump valve and the portable shower head mounting is over the water pump motor seliniod so it drips water on it. I don't use the mount and have a little piece of plastic to put under the dump cap when I take it off. In the end the local Camping World did some final small fixes and I am very happy with them. I did have to take it to 2 different dealers to resolve the a/c, one problem was the box Thor installed and the other the compressor was leaking, so that had to go to Ford but the box had to be fixed by that manufacturers' shop.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:22 AM   #4

State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Petef - thank you so much for the really helpful information! I am saving it, and we will go over all your points and address them as needed!

Sure appreciate you taking the time to reply!

Eileen
Old 05-27-2015, 04:07 PM   #5

THOR #970
I forgot to mention absolutely put a locking mech on the cabinet door next to the fridge. The factory pressure clips won't hold it from flying out and busting the opposite door, it will happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door lock.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	464