Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2021, 11:58 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Smile I've pre-reserved my ALL ELECTRIC Ford F150...

"563 horsepower, 775 pound-feet of torque, electronically controlled full-time four-wheel drive, 0-60 mph times in the mid 4-second range, 230- or 300-mile range... and 10,000lb towing capacity"

ALL ELECTRIC
NO GAS OR DIESEL
GREAT RANGE
USE TO POWER YOUR TOOLS
USE TO POWER YOUR HOME!

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022/
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2021, 12:16 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations!
Have they given you a delivery date; or just a lick and a promise so far?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:43 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Congratulations!
Have they given you a delivery date; or just a lick and a promise so far?
Next spring.

That is cool you reserved one (Turner).

I have no need and seeing as I already have a 99kWh battery sitting in the garage (and only a 30amp charger) I don't think I have room for the F-150.

Given the timing for the Mach-E, if the F-150 takes as long, then it would be next summer before you see it (of course Pandemic and chip shortage should be "going away" at this point so it may be closer to their predicted timing; that and the fact that it will be built right here in Dearborn instead of Mexico will probably also speed it along quite nicely).

The full size Bronco got pushed back a little due to chips and it is also built right here in Michigan.

Oh yeah and also based on the Mach-E ordering process: You'll get very little communications from Ford. Keep on your sales person to get the timing and where it is in the process (ask for the "Vehicle Visibility" report).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:59 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
One thing seems certain: all of that power will make the original Lightnings run for cover.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:07 PM   #5

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
"563 horsepower, 775 pound-feet of torque, electronically controlled full-time four-wheel drive, 0-60 mph times in the mid 4-second range, 230- or 300-mile range... and 10,000lb towing capacity"

ALL ELECTRIC
NO GAS OR DIESEL
GREAT RANGE
USE TO POWER YOUR TOOLS
USE TO POWER YOUR HOME!

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022/

Congratulations.

Can you flat tow it behind your motorhome?
Old 05-20-2021, 01:11 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Congratulations.

Can you flat tow it behind your motorhome?
I don't think that is known yet--its super early; still over a year out.

Given past history, however, I'm going to say "NO" for two reasons:
  1. It will be very heavy--especially for the big battery
  2. No EV is flat-towable today (but you never know this may be the first)

The Ford engineer in charge has said that the battery alone in it weighs in at over 1,800 lbs.

Note that my Mach-E with its 99 kWh battery approaches 5000 lbs.

Rumor has it that the F-150 will have 120 kWh or even 180 kWh in it.

Spec sheet:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/wp-conte...Tech_Specs.pdf
Old 05-20-2021, 01:26 PM   #7

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I don't think that is known yet--its super early; still over a year out.

Given past history, however, I'm going to say "NO" for two reasons:
  1. It will be very heavy--especially for the big battery
  2. No EV is flat-towable today (but you never know this may be the first)

The Ford engineer in charge has said that the battery alone in it weighs in at over 1,800 lbs.

Note that my Mach-E with its 99 kWh battery approaches 5000 lbs.

Rumor has it that the F-150 will have 120 kWh or even 180 kWh in it.

He’s driving a diesel pusher, so I’d assume he could tow an electric F-150 if it’s possible. If not flat towable, it would be a shame. I’m assuming dual motors (front and back) so no transfer case to leave in neutral.

At 15 pounds per kWh, 1,800 pounds of batteries sounds in right range. However, it’s not all incremental weight. I’d be surprised if it weighs more than 7,000 pounds, and expect closer to 6,000 pounds empty. Just a guess, but weight should be OK for many motorhomes if F-150 can handle it.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:48 PM   #8

THOR #2121
P.S. — Interesting that they enhanced Pro Power Onboard to 9.6 kW.

Also very interesting that independent rear suspension uses semi trailing arms, whereas spy photos showed a rear suspension much closer to that of an Expedition. It appears electric F-150 and Transit will share same or very similar semi trailing arm rear suspensions. The F-150 with 4-wheel independent suspension and all that battery mass located low in center of vehicle should ride great for a truck, or any vehicle for that matter.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:58 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
He’s driving a diesel pusher, so I’d assume he could tow an electric F-150 if it’s possible. If not flat towable, it would be a shame. I’m assuming dual motors (front and back) so no transfer case to leave in neutral.

At 15 pounds per kWh, 1,800 pounds of batteries sounds in right range. However, it’s not all incremental weight. I’d be surprised if it weighs more than 7,000 pounds, and expect closer to 6,000 pounds empty. Just a guess, but weight should be OK for many motorhomes if F-150 can handle it.
True as far as weight.

Its the other issue that will likely be the determining factor. If they designed it to be towable or not.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:00 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Throw it up on a trailer: if it isn't...
Old 05-20-2021, 05:35 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:

If he’s driving a Palazzo he has no towing capAcity to speak of due to the transmission installed. Just because someone has a DP doesn’t mean they can tow anything heavy.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:50 PM   #12

THOR #2121
In any case, nice for owners to have option to plug motorhome into electric F-150 and power air conditioner for days, or power residential fridge for well over a week, etc.

With electric Transit, Ford limits Pro Power Onboard to 2.4 kW (according to ads), but with F-150 they enhanced capabilities to 9.6 kW (enhanced from hybrid F-150’s 7.2 kW). Maybe Ford will rethink eTransit PPO capacity.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:03 PM   #13

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
If he’s driving a Palazzo he has no towing capAcity to speak of due to the transmission installed. Just because someone has a DP doesn’t mean they can tow anything heavy.

Agree. Hitch rating shows 10,000 pounds, but GCWR suggests a loaded down motorhome close to its GVWR would not have nearly as much actual towing capacity.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:11 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
In any case, nice for owners to have option to plug motorhome into electric F-150 and power air conditioner for days, or power residential fridge for well over a week, etc.

With electric Transit, Ford limits Pro Power Onboard to 2.4 kW (according to ads), but with F-150 they enhanced capabilities to 9.6 kW (enhanced from hybrid F-150’s 7.2 kW). Maybe Ford will rethink eTransit PPO capacity.
The F-150 Lightning's Pro power ranges from 2.6kW to the full 9.6kW depending on options ($$$).
Old 05-20-2021, 07:19 PM   #15

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Not my cup of tea but I applaud the early adopter. I had a Chevrolet Volt for several years starting when they first were introduced. I was amazed at how rude and opinionated people were if they didn’t understand or like the car. I used it mostly for commuting the 25 miles to work and my employer gave me a primo parking space and free plug in. When I traded it in (on a lovely 6 speed Mustang!) my life time mileage was 232 mpg!
Old 05-20-2021, 09:25 PM   #16

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The F-150 Lightning's Pro power ranges from 2.6kW to the full 9.6kW depending on options ($$$).

Thanks, I see that now in specs.

By the way, you may be right on electric F-150 weight being fairly high. The eTransit which only has rear motor, and a lot less battery capacity, ranges from about 5,600 to 6,200 pounds. Granted, it has steel body, but in gasoline versions an F-150 is similar in weight to a Transit.

I was just told by a friend that during filming of a reality show a Rivian pickup was flat-towed-charged in an emergency to get battery charged-up when an electric charger was not available. I assume it works just like regenerative braking, minus brakes.

Anyway, a cool option for RVers would be charging while being towed. That would allow batteries to be used at night while boondocking and then charged back up while driving next day. Software could limit drag on motorhome to whatever driver selected.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:32 PM   #17

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Wow, congrats
Old 05-20-2021, 10:48 PM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Thanks, I see that now in specs.

By the way, you may be right on electric F-150 weight being fairly high. The eTransit which only has rear motor, and a lot less battery capacity, ranges from about 5,600 to 6,200 pounds. Granted, it has steel body, but in gasoline versions an F-150 is similar in weight to a Transit.

I was just told by a friend that during filming of a reality show a Rivian pickup was flat-towed-charged in an emergency to get battery charged-up when an electric charger was not available. I assume it works just like regenerative braking, minus brakes.

Anyway, a cool option for RVers would be charging while being towed. That would allow batteries to be used at night while boondocking and then charged back up while driving next day. Software could limit drag on motorhome to whatever driver selected.
Yeah since EV's are pretty much a computer on wheels any manufacturer could implement a "flat tow" mode where the car engages just enough regen to keep the batteries topped off while not providing too much drag on the tow vehicle.
Old 05-21-2021, 05:29 AM   #19

State: Washington
THOR #6433
That’s awesome and congratulations. I hope the electric trucks can be viable. My wife wants a Jeep Gladiator so I am waiting for an electric version. Her wrangler is a. 2013 with only 25k miles on it so an electric vehicle is perfect for her.
Old 05-21-2021, 05:50 AM   #20

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
That’s awesome and congratulations. I hope the electric trucks can be viable. My wife wants a Jeep Gladiator so I am waiting for an electric version. Her wrangler is a. 2013 with only 25k miles on it so an electric vehicle is perfect for her.
My neighbor just got a hybrid rubicon. It only gets 30 mile per charge. But that enough to go to work where he haS free charging

It's pretty nice

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote