Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2017, 10:45 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstewart06 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. i have a call into the dealership, but of course anyone that I need to talk to is not answering the phone and I left a call back number. The girl at the switchboard must of heard this before because she told me they could be titled as the year of the chassis or the year of the coach. I understand all that but just want it titled as the year of the coach. I saved about $13.000 over the price of the same 2018 they had on the lot because this was a 2017. I would have expected some more savings on a 2016. I expect to upgrade in 5 years or so and do not want to take a bigger hit than I have to, even if only a few thousand dollars.
I don't know about how states other than Ohio determine the year that they show on the title but I can tell you that our 2015 Windsport was built 03/14, on a chassis built 02/14 and I received an Ohio title dated 04/04/14 that stated that it is a 2015 Thor Windsport. I think real question is did they misrepresent what they were selling you or was this an error at the Title Bureau? Good luck.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:12 PM   #42

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Diane View Post
..... I think real question is did they misrepresent what they were selling you or was this an error at the Title Bureau? Good luck.
EXACTLY.

rstewart06,

If it's not a 2017 model year, per the paperwork, they owe you a 2017 model in exchange for that 2016.

If it is an error on the part of the DMV, they owe you a new title that shows the correct model year of 2017. To have it corrected, follow the directions at the bottom of the page I linked to.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:29 PM   #43

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
I would like to know also. My build date is 6/16 and purchased it a year later as a 2017.
ran my VIN # and I have a 2017 chassis and a 2017 coach. Guess they build early.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:47 PM   #44

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yes, many new models will come out as early as April and May of each year, but the discussion of what 'Year' the DMV uses is the same: it's subject to the DMV, not the RV Builder - RVs are manufactured with a 'Model year' designation, not a Chassis year designation - it matters not when the chassis was built, only the 'House' portion, which is the RV.
If a state recognizes only the chassis build date/year, then it will affect EVERYONE in that state who owns a vehicle, not just you. Any person that would entertain purchasing your RV at a later date would consider the RV Manufacturers YEAR MODEL, not the chassis VIN year.

I don't think the argument that you are 'out' anything due to a Chassis year being prior to an RV year holds any water. Just like when you purchased your new RV, you didn't require them to prove to you what Model year it really was by producing the Title, you purchased it on the information provided by the RV Builder - the Year Model they assigned to it. That is what the MSRP is based and what the Loan Value is based on. Your lender will not care either as long as the RV Year Model is stated correctly.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:58 PM   #45
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
yes, many new models will come out as early as April and May of each year, but the discussion of what 'Year' the DMV uses is the same: it's subject to the DMV, not the RV Builder - RVs are manufactured with a 'Model year' designation, not a Chassis year designation - it matters not when the chassis was built, only the 'House' portion, which is the RV.
If a state recognizes only the chassis build date/year, then it will affect EVERYONE in that state who owns a vehicle, not just you. Any person that would entertain purchasing your RV at a later date would consider the RV Manufacturers YEAR MODEL, not the chassis VIN year.

I don't think the argument that you are 'out' anything due to a Chassis year being prior to an RV year holds any water. Just like when you purchased your new RV, you didn't require them to prove to you what Model year it really was by producing the Title, you purchased it on the information provided by the RV Builder - the Year Model they assigned to it. That is what the MSRP is based and what the Loan Value is based on. Your lender will not care either as long as the RV Year Model is stated correctly.
Did you read the entire thread or just the first post?
Old 08-01-2017, 12:00 AM   #46
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
An easy way to get the answer:

Look at the Production Hard Card (PHC) that should be included with the build sheet. If you do not have the build sheet contact Thor and ask for it.

On the PHC it should have the Model. On mine it is CH37ND - 15.5 which translated is 2015 1/2 Challenger 37ND

It should also list the chassis. On mine it is 2014 FD 22K 242 22.5 which translated is 2014 Ford 22K GVWR 242 inch wheelbase 22.5 inch wheels and tires. This was slightly unclear initially because my chassis is a 2014 F53 and not a 2014 FD22K.

That told me up front that my coach was a 2015 Challenger built on a 2014 Chassis. Although I asked Thor for the build sheet the PHC was inside the coach when I walked through before purchasing. A copy was also taped to the inside of the windshield so it could be viewed from outside the coach.

The Virginia DMV has me titled and registered as a 2015 Thor Challenger with standard passenger vehicle plates. Our DMV gets this right because how the vehicle is titled determines how it is taxed on an annual basis. A 2015 Challenger is probably taxed about 1.5 to 2K more per year than a 2014 F53 chassis.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:24 AM   #47

Model: Windsport 34J
THOR #8575
I know that the chassis is a 2016 and have no problem with that. The coach was advertised and I believe it is a 2017. The issue I have is I want the title to show 2017. Camping World sent me the memorandum title with a note that says it is the memorandum title for my 2016 Thor I recently purchased. The office manager that sent the title seems to not answer her phone or return calls. I left her a message explaining my issue. I will try again tomorrow. Camping World handled the title work and I am trying to find out if they submitted the wrong year or if BMV changed it. If all else fails I will contact BMV and try to get it changed. Thanks for all the info shared, it helps alot.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:40 AM   #48
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
I know that the chassis is a 2016 and have no problem with that. The coach was advertised and I believe it is a 2017. The issue I have is I want the title to show 2017. Camping World sent me the memorandum title with a note that says it is the memorandum title for my 2016 Thor I recently purchased. The office manager that sent the title seems to not answer her phone or return calls. I left her a message explaining my issue. I will try again tomorrow. Camping World handled the title work and I am trying to find out if they submitted the wrong year or if BMV changed it. If all else fails I will contact BMV and try to get it changed. Thanks for all the info shared, it helps alot.
You might ask CW to see the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin which will give you the model year of the coach. Now this is me, I would ask for this with a explanation of the request in person in a higher than normal conversation volume (not irate or yelling) while the showroom was full of potential customers. Might get someone's attention rather quickly.

In you case it sounds like your beef might be with Camping World, but then again their reputation is stellar and they never make mistakes.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:02 AM   #49

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut214 View Post
I can't really answer your question but I'm guessing you would think it was up to the Shipyard that built the ship even though whatever government agency registers the ship might use the date the keel was laid or maybe the date the engines were tested. I don't really think your missing the point but rather have a huge vendetta against thor and will use every opportunity you can to express your disdain for them as you have demonstrated in numerous posts. The problem is, your slamming many on this forum who bought a Thor and despite the problems, we like what we bought. It must kill you that many of us are happy people enjoying our life and the freedom our MH gives us as we travel around the country. I'm done with you and anything you post on here. I hope one day your bitterness lessens and you can really enjoy this wonderful life we have been blessed with.
Mikey
How nice you are happy with your Thor product. Glad you enjoy it. I slam Thor not you or your minions. Thor deserves it. If you want to stick your head in the sand or up some place else and pretend their quality is not an issue go for it. How long have you thought it was up to you to dispense psychological advice in a blog? I'll give you some of my advice for free. Stick to something you know something about. I've forgotten more in this life than you've learned.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:19 AM   #50

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Quote:
I can't really answer your question but I'm guessing you would think it was up to the Shipyard that built the ship even though whatever government agency registers the ship might use the date the keel was laid or maybe the date the engines were tested. I don't really think your missing the point but rather have a huge vendetta against thor and will use every opportunity you can to express your disdain for them as you have demonstrated in numerous posts. The problem is, your slamming many on this forum who bought a Thor and despite the problems, we like what we bought. It must kill you that many of us are happy people enjoying our life and the freedom our MH gives us as we travel around the country. I'm done with you and anything you post on here. I hope one day your bitterness lessens and you can really enjoy this wonderful life we have been blessed with.
Mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
How nice you are happy with your Thor product. Glad you enjoy it. I slam Thor not you or your minions. Thor deserves it. If you want to stick your head in the sand or up some place else and pretend their quality is not an issue go for it. How long have you thought it was up to you to dispense psychological advice in a blog? I'll give you some of my advice for free. Stick to something you know something about. I've forgotten more in this life than you've learned.
I rest my case. Sorry fellow Thor (pieces of crap) owners I couldn't resist)
Old 08-01-2017, 04:45 AM   #51

THOR #6280
What a tool!
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:31 PM   #52

THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
Good luck with what? I purchased a 2017 model Challenger with a 2016 Ford chassis and hold a title that says 2017, exactly as I would expect. This is our THIRD motorhome built and titled that way. I would accept nothing less.

Found this:

"What information is used by the state DMV offices to register motorhomes?

When a consumer has a new motorhome registered for the first time, the state DMV will use both the VIN assigned by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer and the model year and make assigned by the final stage motorhome manufacturer for the vehicle registration. All states should title motorhomes using the model year assigned by the final stage motorhome manufacturer."

Quoted from here. Remedy for a discrepancy at the bottom.

The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: RVIA Press Releases
While this thread has more than ran it's course I wanted to add something else for those, including myself, who may in the future want to use this to try and get a correct date on a title.
I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who retired from the New Mexico MVD last year. He said people have tried to use this to change the year of their motorhome but "he knew" of noone that was successful and as he pointed out to me there's that one line that reads, "All states SHOULD title motorhomes using the model year assigned by the final stage motorhome manufacturer". The key word being, "should". That said he did say he was aware of Motorhomes being registered/titled FOR THE FIRST TIME that the model year on the title was the year it was completed but making it right the first time it was ever registered was key. Thanks
Old 08-01-2017, 06:44 PM   #53

Model: Windsport 34J
THOR #8575
Just to follow up, finally talked to the lady at CW and they are going to get me a new title with the corrected year of 2017. She kind of admitted it was her error, she just looked at the year of the chassis when doing the paper work and is in the process of getting it fixed. Looks like all is well.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:07 PM   #54

THOR #2581
Nice!
Old 08-02-2017, 10:32 PM   #55

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Our 2017 Thor 23TR purchased in March 2017 was built in April 2016 on a 2016 Ford chassis. The California registration states year of manufacture 2017. The insurance carrier noticed the chassis would have to be a 2016 but they also carry it as a 2017 because that is when it was purchased new.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:57 PM   #56

THOR #3245
Read the 10th digit of your VIN. If its a G its a 2016 and if it's a H its a 2017.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:49 AM   #57

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Quote:
. He said..... none that was successful and as he pointed out to me there's that one line that reads, "All states SHOULD title motorhomes using the model year assigned by the final stage motorhome manufacturer". The key word being, "should".
Same discussion came up on the Sprinter forum, the DMV corrected the Title when presented with the RVIA information. The AAMVA policy wording is "shall"
(American Assoction of Motor Vehicle Administrators).

"What should I do if a state DMV registers a new motorhome with the chassis model year?
If a DMV employee insists on using the incomplete chassis model year, please call the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association at 703-620-6003 for assistance. Ask for the Government Affairs Department.
To expedite the process, please bring to the DMV a copy of the:
  1. Motorhome’s MCO (available from the RV dealer or final stage manufacturer);
  2. AAMVA split year motorhome policy position"
Maybe it only works sometimes but may be worth a try.
I too like my Thor!

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...t=56174&page=2
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:13 PM   #58

THOR #6280
Or if you were told by the selling dealer you were buying a 2017 and the license bureau tells you it's a 2016, take it back to the dealer and ask for $10,000 rebate for misleading you. They will never be right over the state. Court is also a remedy, you would win.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #59

State: Alabama
THOR #7276
Title year different than Paper work signed

Quote:
We are new here, just bought a new Windsport 34J. Was told at Camping World we were looking at a new 2017. All the paper work we signed says 2017. I just got the title in the mail and it says 2016. I will call the dealer Monday morning about this. They have 2018's on the lot so that makes ours 2 years old already. We feel we should be entitled to some money back if we accept a 2016 and was told we bought a 2017. Any one run into this before. Thanks for any help you can give.

We completed our paperwork two weeks ago and are waiting for the title to come in the mail. We purchased a 2018 Thor Chateau; however, our chassis is a 2017. Curious what year our title will show!

Camping World didn't tell us about chassis/coach year model differences until after we had placed our order. We have since discovered that there are still 2016 chassis that are being used on 2018 coaches! Our chassis is a Mercedes Benz Sprinter.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:32 PM   #60

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
It varies by state. Some only go by chassis year. Others by year coach was built. Check with your state's DMV. It's SOP in the industry to use chassis bought in bulk that can be a year behind the build year of the coach. Check other threads on this topic in these forums.