Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I just received the license renewal from California DMV. They have it titled as a 2017 Thor motorhome, but insurance company has it as a 2016 Mercedes Sprinter. Insurance co came out and took pictures of it, so I know they know its a motorhome built on the chassis. I called them, just to be sure, and yes they have documented it as a motorhome. (???? I think I really don't care enough to argue with the insurance company, which I would probably not prevail over in any case.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:42 PM   #62

State: Indiana
THOR #1198
QAs on Split Model Year Motorhomes.pdf
Old 08-21-2017, 10:33 PM   #63
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
I just received the license renewal from California DMV. They have it titled as a 2017 Thor motorhome, but insurance company has it as a 2016 Mercedes Sprinter. Insurance co came out and took pictures of it, so I know they know its a motorhome built on the chassis. I called them, just to be sure, and yes they have documented it as a motorhome. (???? I think I really don't care enough to argue with the insurance company, which I would probably not prevail over in any case.
Insurance having an older year would only matter in the event the are paying a total loss - they would base it on a year older... meaning less $$ to you.
Shouldn't be much of an argument - give them a copy of the title and ask them to correct.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:19 PM   #64

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Title and model year/chassis for insurance purposes. Look people. RV insurance is relatively low cost compared to general auto and home insurance. When buying a policy don't settle for whatever the insurance company tells you the value of total loss would be. Tell them you want more coverage than that to cover all the additional time and effort/labor you have put into the buying and outfitting of your RV, they will write you a policy that pays you more for a bit more premium and its worth it. You can turn a bad loss into a financial gain if heaven forbid you had a loss.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:30 PM   #65
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I guess that I can't wait to see what my paperwork will look like.
This Saturday, we pick up our 2018 Outlaw 29H...

...But I've already seen the paperwork on the 2017 Chassis.

Time will tell the tale!
Old 08-22-2017, 11:36 PM   #66

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Insurance having an older year would only matter in the event the are paying a total loss - they would base it on a year older... meaning less $$ to you.
Shouldn't be much of an argument - give them a copy of the title and ask them to correct.
If you run the vin number it shows up as a 2016 Sprinter. Since the first year, I'm pretty sure for the Gemini was 2017, they would have a problem find a value for a 2016 Gemini. The fact that its built on a 2016 Sprinter chassis, is an irrefutable fact. The majority of motorhomes, or a great number of them are built on chassis that are a model year older than the motorhome. Since they start building a new model motorhomes in July or August, and the only chassis that are available would be current year, this is a known and not uncommon procedure. Our last DP was on a Freightliner chassis that was a model year older than the motorhome too.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:12 PM   #67
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
For what it's worth: the Dealer sent me a copy of the MSO.
It clearly shows the model year as 2018.
(It weighs 12,254 lbs: that leaves room for 2,246 lbs worth of us and our "stuff"! )
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:14 PM   #68
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Question: How do we edit one of our existing posts?

(When replying in here about the MSO for my rig: I also wanted to mention that it was built on a Tuesday... Hopefully that is good news!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:28 PM   #69

Model: Quantum 31WS
State: Arizona
THOR #7419
I'm new to this thread so was just browsing through. A few years ago we had the same issue buying a used Entegra. I was fortunate to have a dealer that stood behind his sales. had them add a large numbert of Extras to make up for the 10k difference in years.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:11 AM   #70

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Late model or new RV's have absolutely crazy prices for a license plate in Indiana. They base it off how much you paid so if you buy a real expensive rig the plates are $1000-$2000 a year OUCH!
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:01 PM   #71

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
I'm going through some hoops with Colorado licensing this year which is apparently a result of coach vs chassis years. My Thor ACE 30.01 is listed as a 2017 but the F53 chassis its built on is a 2016. Colorado registration has a license fee plus a user tax (basically property tax). The user tax is a declining scale based upon the years in service. 2.1% of what they call "taxable value" - basically 85% of MSRP, the first year, 1.5% the second, 1.2% the third, etc.

So.... last year when we bought the coach, the registration listed it as a 2016 and we paid the user tax based upon first year of service - 2.1%, or at least close to it. The. license fee and user tax doesn't quite add up to what they charged me (it looks like I might have been undercharged about $60 for reasons they can't figure out).

Today I got my registration renewal notice and....the user tax is still 2.1%, and the year has been changed to 2017. I'm now working with our county DMV (Colorado does registration by county) to figure out what is going on. Finally got them to to admit that it didn't look right and that I should only be paying the 1.5% this year. But someone made the change from 2016 to 2017 which apparently made their computer system forget that I'd already paid for year one and the coach is in service year two. So now they are "researching it" and will get back to me. We will see how it goes.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:30 PM   #72
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Late model or new RV's have absolutely crazy prices for a license plate in Indiana. They base it off how much you paid so if you buy a real expensive rig the plates are $1000-$2000 a year OUCH!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
... Colorado registration has a license fee plus a user tax (basically property tax). The user tax is a declining scale based upon the years in service. 2.1% of what they call "taxable value" - basically 85% of MSRP, the first year, 1.5% the second, 1.2% the third, etc.
More reasons for moving to FL... Lol
Outside of buying new plates the first time - just a flat fee for any vehicle... Replacing a car is just moving plates, no need to buy new plate.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:19 PM   #73
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
More reasons for moving to FL... Lol
Outside of buying new plates the first time - just a flat fee for any vehicle... Replacing a car is just moving plates, no need to buy new plate.
Amen
Old 09-24-2017, 01:45 AM   #74

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
I think most people in the know will agree, California is one of the worst states for owning and licensing a large vehicle. However after reading all these posts I am no longer in that belief. Our new Gemini that we purchased in April was built in 2016 on a 2016 chassis. It was delivered to the dealer in 2016 but went unsold until April 2017. California licensed it as a 2017 and total license fees were $501.00. This thread is making me a "Happy Camper".