Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2017, 01:01 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
For RVs? Whenever they feel like it. My 2016 ACE was built in June 2016 as I recall; I'll check tomorrow. I think I'd be heading back to the dealer for a "talk".
CRS disease! My 2016 rolled off the line in July 2015 on a 2015 chassis.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:28 PM   #22

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Ohio
THOR #8575
Thanks for all the replies. i have a call into the dealership, but of course anyone that I need to talk to is not answering the phone and I left a call back number. The girl at the switchboard must of heard this before because she told me they could be titled as the year of the chassis or the year of the coach. I understand all that but just want it titled as the year of the coach. I saved about $13.000 over the price of the same 2018 they had on the lot because this was a 2017. I would have expected some more savings on a 2016. I expect to upgrade in 5 years or so and do not want to take a bigger hit than I have to, even if only a few thousand dollars.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:30 PM   #23

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstewart06 View Post
Title says 2016 Thor Windsport. Build date on label on door way shows manufactured 04/2016. When does the model year change?
I would like to know also. My build date is 6/16 and purchased it a year later as a 2017.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:34 PM   #24

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Many states are different when it comes to titling a coach, some go by chassis year and others by coach year. Can be confusing!
It has always been my understanding that ALL states go by VIN which is the chassis number thus a 2016 on a 2017 coach? What other number could they use that would be consistent throughout? I sure don't see a separate VIN on any of my paperwork for the coach.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:55 PM   #25

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
He is right. I bought a new Thor Synergy a month ago. They sold it to me on paper as a 2017, however at the license bureau we discover the chassis is a 2016. That indeed makes the chassis a year old already and two years old by the time I take delivery as the new models are rolling out. Thor nor the dealer mentions this when selling you their product. Laws need to be passed to force this information to the surface always.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:57 PM   #26
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
He is right. I bought a new Thor Synergy a month ago. They sold it to me on paper as a 2017, however at the license bureau we discover the chassis is a 2016. That indeed makes the chassis a year old already and two years old by the time I take delivery as the new models are rolling out. Thor nor the dealer mentions this when selling you their product. Laws need to be passed to force this information to the surface always.
Look at the brochure for your coach and read the section titled "Important - Please Read" Thor specifically states the coach may be built on a chassis one year older. Thor provides the info but the buyer needs to read it.

It is not the RV manufacturers' fault consumers do not read the info provided, by law, before making a purchase. Just like a warranty, the builder and dealer must provide a copy to the consumer if the consumer asks to view it. Only 4 states require dealers disclose the difference between RV model year and chassis year.

BTW, the same situation may hold true for any item manufactured (e.g. ambulance and bus) using a stripped or cutaway chassis.

You may want to read this article.

https://www.faegrebd.com/what-year-i...-important-and

And these FAQs from RVIA. There is mention of an FTC staff opinion related to the issue.

http://www.rvia.org/?ESID=preleases&PRID=1690&SR=61

The difference between chassis and coach model year is a common practice that has been around for years, sanctioned by the FTC, and will continue for years to come.

Don't sweat the small stuff.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:19 PM   #27

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Our 2017 Challenger has a 2016 Ford chassis. The title however, says 2017. This is nothing new. Our 2002 Southwind had a 2001 Ford chassis. When we needed parts they had to be ordered by the 2001 chassis date in order to fit.

That said, if all my paperwork said I purchased a 2017 and the title came back a 2016, I would confirm that I did indeed purchase a 2017 model, and make sure the title reflected 2017. It can and will make a difference at sale or trade in time.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:56 PM   #28

THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
Our 2017 Challenger has a 2016 Ford chassis. The title however, says 2017. This is nothing new. Our 2002 Southwind had a 2001 Ford chassis. When we needed parts they had to be ordered by the 2001 chassis date in order to fit.

That said, if all my paperwork said I purchased a 2017 and the title came back a 2016, I would confirm that I did indeed purchase a 2017 model, and make sure the title reflected 2017. It can and will make a difference at sale or trade in time.
Good luck with that! As has been said countless times motor vehicles dept is going to use the vin and it ain't gonna change the year no matter how much paperwork you have.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:02 PM   #29

THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Look at the brochure for your coach and read the section titled "Important - Please Read" Thor specifically states the coach may be built on a chassis one year older. Thor provides the info but the buyer needs to read it.

It is not the RV manufacturers' fault consumers do not read the info provided, by law, before making a purchase. Just like a warranty, the builder and dealer must provide a copy to the consumer if the consumer asks to view it. Only 4 states require dealers disclose the difference between RV model year and chassis year.

BTW, the same situation may hold true for any item manufactured (e.g. ambulance and bus) using a stripped or cutaway chassis.

You may want to read this article.

https://www.faegrebd.com/what-year-i...-important-and

And these FAQs from RVIA. There is mention of an FTC staff opinion related to the issue.

The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: RVIA Press Releases

The difference between chassis and coach model year is a common practice that has been around for years, sanctioned by the FTC, and will continue for years to come.

Don't sweat the small stuff.
Brochure? Are you kidding me? I never saw a Thor Synergy brochure. I went down to Mercedes Benz last year and looked at a new E350 for the wife. I looked under the hood, kicked the tires, drove it 6 blocks and threw down almost $70,000 and took it home. I did the same thing over the years with Chevy, Ford, Chrysler and BMW. When I took them home none of them fell apart and all of them had the title match the chassis year. None came with a brochure imagine that. Thor builds crap and everyone knows it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Synergy.png
Views:	93
Size:	485.5 KB
ID:	6143  
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:18 PM   #30
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut214 View Post
Good luck with that! As has been said countless times motor vehicles dept is going to use the vin and it ain't gonna change the year no matter how much paperwork you have.
And has been said many times, how the DMV handles the year depends on the state. In Florida, the manufacturer is Thor and the year is the coach year, not the chassis year, so BradnKaren is correct for his coach in Florida.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:00 PM   #31

THOR #2581
Quote:
Brochure? Are you kidding me? I never saw a Thor Synergy brochure. I went down to Mercedes Benz last year and looked at a new E350 for the wife. I looked under the hood, kicked the tires, drove it 6 blocks and threw down almost $70,000 and took it home. I did the same thing over the years with Chevy, Ford, Chrysler and BMW. When I took them home none of them fell apart and all of them had the title match the chassis year. None came with a brochure imagine that. Thor builds crap and everyone knows it.
And Thor is the only ones that follow this practice Someone already stated the obvious. This has nothing to do with Thor or any other motorhome manufacturer. The vehicle is given a VIN# when manufactured and the states use that # to determine year. The manufacturers hands are tied when it comes to what year is entered on the title.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:41 PM   #32

THOR #6280
Quote:
And Thor is the only ones that follow this practice Someone already stated the obvious. This has nothing to do with Thor or any other motorhome manufacturer. The vehicle is given a VIN# when manufactured and the states use that # to determine year. The manufacturers hands are tied when it comes to what year is entered on the title.
Well gee Mikey. If the Navy Yard lays the keel in 1980 and the ship rolls off dry dock and is christened in 1984 it's a 1980. :-)
Old 07-31-2017, 08:06 PM   #33

THOR #2581
Quote:
Well gee Mikey. If the Navy Yard lays the keel in 1980 and the ship rolls off dry dock and is christened in 1984 it's a 1980. :-)
I can't really answer your question but I'm guessing you would think it was up to the Shipyard that built the ship even though whatever government agency registers the ship might use the date the keel was laid or maybe the date the engines were tested. I don't really think your missing the point but rather have a huge vendetta against thor and will use every opportunity you can to express your disdain for them as you have demonstrated in numerous posts. The problem is, your slamming many on this forum who bought a Thor and despite the problems, we like what we bought. It must kill you that many of us are happy people enjoying our life and the freedom our MH gives us as we travel around the country. I'm done with you and anything you post on here. I hope one day your bitterness lessens and you can really enjoy this wonderful life we have been blessed with.
Mikey
Old 07-31-2017, 08:08 PM   #34
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
I can't really answer your question but I'm guessing you would think it was up to the Shipyard that built the ship even though whatever government agency registers the ship might use the date the keel was laid or maybe the date the engines were tested. I don't really think your missing the point but rather have a huge vendetta against thor and will use every opportunity you can to express your disdain for them as you have demonstrated in numerous posts. The problem is, your slamming many on this forum who bought a Thor and despite the problems, we like what we bought. It must kill you that many of us are happy people enjoying our life and the freedom our MH gives us as we travel around the country. I'm done with you and anything you post on here. I hope one day your bitterness lessens and you can really enjoy this wonderful life we have been blessed with.
Mikey
Well said and thank you.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-31-2017, 08:14 PM   #35

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
Same issue in boating world

The same sort of thing happens in the boating industry. Its so bad there that a recent boating magazine had an article about how outboard manufacturers are now trying to eliminate the "year" designation on their motors, because some can sit for a year or more in their crate before being sold and installed on a boat. The motor is brand new but considered a year or more old. The warranty period doesn't start until the motor is sold, installed and delivered.
We also had this issue on a PleasureWay, class B+ that we owned a few years ago. Chassis was a year older than the PW. As I recall, our title showed the year of our PW. When I contacted PW customer service, they advised that their factory bought batches of chassis at a time and they often sat in their factory lot, sometimes for several months, waiting to be built in to a PW camper. Often, they said, the chassis can have a build date months prior to the camper's build date.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:18 PM   #36

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
Quote:
You're not comparing apples to apples. Thor, and every other manufacturer, have to order the chassis well in advance of the build. It's not up to Thor, it's up to the individual states to determine if they use the chassis VIN or the coach VIN to register the coach. Neither Thor or anyone else has control over how a state registers a coach. If your coach is a 2017 and your chassis is a 2016 and your state registers it as a 2016 and you don't like it get the law changed!

I believe in holding the correct people accountable for their actions and in this case it's NOT Thor!!!

Your Ford warranty, or whoever built your chassis, doesn't start until the day it is sold to the end user, just like in the example Oldchief cited above.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:22 PM   #37

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Quote:
Good luck with what? I purchased a 2017 model Challenger with a 2016 Ford chassis and hold a title that says 2017, exactly as I would expect. This is our THIRD motorhome built and titled that way. I would accept nothing less.

Found this:

"What information is used by the state DMV offices to register motorhomes?

When a consumer has a new motorhome registered for the first time, the state DMV will use both the VIN assigned by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer and the model year and make assigned by the final stage motorhome manufacturer for the vehicle registration. All states should title motorhomes using the model year assigned by the final stage motorhome manufacturer."

Quoted from here. Remedy for a discrepancy at the bottom.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:31 PM   #38

THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
Good luck with what? I purchased a 2017 model Challenger with a 2016 Ford chassis and hold a title that says 2017, exactly as I would expect. This is our THIRD motorhome built and titled that way. I would accept nothing less.

Found this:

"What information is used by the state DMV offices to register motorhomes?

When a consumer has a new motorhome registered for the first time, the state DMV will use both the VIN assigned by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer and the model year and make assigned by the final stage motorhome manufacturer for the vehicle registration. All states should title motorhomes using the model year assigned by the final stage motorhome manufacturer."

Quoted from here. Remedy for a discrepancy at the bottom.

That's really eye opening info Bradnkaren. I've never heard of this and like many others have had the MH a year newer than the title. thank you very much
Old 07-31-2017, 08:39 PM   #39

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
BradandKaren, interesting! Thank you for sharing!!!
Old 07-31-2017, 08:40 PM   #40
Site Team

THOR #1469
Here it the link to another article on the topic.

The last paragraph provides the contact info for anyone that has the issues and would like to get some assistance getting the DMV to register their vehicle with the coach year rather than chassis year.

Different model year on chassis versus motorhome – RV Travel
FMCA - F432054