Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2015, 01:10 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #1615
Toilet issues in Challenger LX models

We are proud new owners of a 2015 Thor Challenger LX with the 1/2 bath on the right side of the coach. Wondering if anyone else with the 1/2 toilet is having issues with toilet stopping up. We use the RV toilet paper but it seems to set right at the bottom of the pipe from the toilet and stay there. You can't run water up to that level of that section of the tank or it would be nearly full. No problem with the back toilet.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:04 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Your 37LX has virtually the same floorplan, (but with a larger slide) as my 34E Hurricane. I was curious if your galley sink is plumbed to the black tank for the front 1/2 toilet?

I have not had any issues with the toilets backing up. The front 1/2 toilet in mine might have a different tank configuration because I can't see the bottom of the tank, (I'll admit that I have not really tried looking in there with a flashlight).

I have always used any brand of septic-safe paper in my RVs, and never had a problem. They all dissolve in water just as well as "RV" paper.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:17 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Texas
THOR #1599
I also have a 34E Hurricane, and when my 1/2 bath toilet backed up.....that is how I discovered that the kitchen sink is plumbed to the black tank for the 1/2 bath. I had been draining and flushing my water system, so that 1/2 bath black tank had filled up with the kitchen sink drain water, and when I went to flush the 1/2 toilet.....it would not empty! That's when I discovered how it was plumbed! I emptied the mid black tank....and all was good!
Old 03-06-2015, 04:47 PM   #4

State: North Carolina
THOR #1615
Not sure how mine is plumbed. I do have 2 gray water and 2 black water tanks. I was told this was necessary because of the chassis. My issue seems to be that the tank on the right side of the chassis is only about 3 to 4 inches deep and then drops off after crossing the frame rails on the left side. I"ll try to check plumbing when and if I ever get it back from the shop from warranty work. Going on 6 weeks now. Thanks for reply
Old 05-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #5

State: Michigan
THOR #1981
We have a 2015 Challenger 37 ND, After De-winterizing it yesterday in Michigan, the Toilet does not have water upon stepping down on the foot pedal?
it has worked fine since we got it in Bradenton, Florida 5 months ago?
Our Service Manager called THOR this AM and they were baffled?
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Is there a Valve, shutoff, or otherwise somewhere? I only see a small blue line about 6 inches long going into the back of the toilet, it has 2 right angle (90 degree ) bends but no valve to turn?
It comes from a wood cabinet with 3 strange screws on top so I cannot even try to unscrew it to see if a valve even exists?
I am obviously not handy, but when THOR and the Service Manager are clueless, that sort of makes you wonder, Aren't they supposed to know about this??
(IF THEY DON'T, WHO THE HECK DOES BESIDES GOD?) Didn't they build it, GEEESH?
Old 05-11-2015, 09:11 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHRODOC View Post
We have a 2015 Challenger 37 ND, After De-winterizing it yesterday in Michigan, the Toilet does not have water upon stepping down on the foot pedal?
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Is there a Valve, shutoff, or otherwise somewhere? I only see a small blue line about 6 inches long going into the back of the toilet, it has 2 right angle (90 degree ) bends but no valve to turn?
It comes from a wood cabinet with 3 strange screws on top so I cannot even try to unscrew it to see if a valve even exists?
I am obviously not handy, but when THOR and the Service Manager are clueless, that sort of makes you wonder, Aren't they supposed to know about this??
I have the 37ND as well. In my coach I have the fresh water diagram and I will see if it shows a valve for the toilet. I am not aware of the existence of any such valve.

Are you having any issues at any other water points? If not it could be the toilet itself or the line going to the toilet being blocked with debris.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:28 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHRODOC View Post
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Schrodoc

First that panel takes a square head bit to remove the screws. I have 2 of them holding my panel in place.

Next, there is no valve located within that panel. The water line from the toilet goes into the panel and takes a 90 degree bend and then goes through the floor.

Also, the fresh water schematic does not show a separate valve supplying water to the toilet.

You may want to call Thor customer service and have them send you the waste and fresh water schematics. I have them a different computer and when I fire that system up sometime this week I can post them on the forum.

Were you standing there when the dealer called Thor? If it were me I'd start considering a new dealer because in my dealings with Thor they pretty much know what is happening within the Challengers. They have their issues, but they can usually tell you whether or not a valve exists in that line.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #8

State: New Jersey
THOR #4228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philslawn View Post
We are proud new owners of a 2015 Thor Challenger LX with the 1/2 bath on the right side of the coach. Wondering if anyone else with the 1/2 toilet is having issues with toilet stopping up. We use the RV toilet paper but it seems to set right at the bottom of the pipe from the toilet and stay there. You can't run water up to that level of that section of the tank or it would be nearly full. No problem with the back toilet.
Hi Philslawn, I was wondering if you were able to resolve your 1/2 bath toilet issue. We just purchased a 2016 Miramar 34.1 and we are having the same issue.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:53 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
Could you post the toilet make and model?

I have an Thetford Aquamagic V toilet and other than having to clean the seal, it has worked fine. The name should be on the top back of the toilet where the water connection is.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:07 PM   #10

THOR #4228
The toilet that came with our Miramar is a Thetford model 42055. We just replaced it today with a Dometic 320 gravity flush with a handsprayer. We are hoping the extra water flow and handsprayer will help. There isn't a straight drop into the black tank from the 1/2 bath. The waste and paper has to go through the pipe which is in the shape of an "s" so it's causing the paper to get stuck and clog. We are using one ply RV toilet paper. To date, we won't let anyone use the bathroom for anything but liquid waste. Which defeats the purpose of the 1/2 bath for company and is slightly embarrassing to have to tell them ��
Old 05-09-2016, 12:38 AM   #11
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv4 View Post
The toilet that came with our Miramar is a Thetford model 42055. We just replaced it today with a Dometic 320 gravity flush with a handsprayer. We are hoping the extra water flow and handsprayer will help. There isn't a straight drop into the black tank from the 1/2 bath. The waste and paper has to go through the pipe which is in the shape of an "s" so it's causing the paper to get stuck and clog. We are using one ply RV toilet paper. To date, we won't let anyone use the bathroom for anything but liquid waste. Which defeats the purpose of the 1/2 bath for company and is slightly embarrassing to have to tell them ��
Try using Angel Soft TP. IMHO it dissolves a lot faster than the expensive RV toilet tissues.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-09-2016, 12:55 AM   #12

THOR #4228
Thank you! I will definitely give it a try.