Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2018, 07:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Illinois
THOR #10965
Dumbest Question Ever - (Power)

OK, this is probably the dumbest question ever asked, but I got my used RV home and they have a nice aftermarket radio in it, but when I turned the key off the radio was still on and the dashboard still had lights on.

Couldn't figure out how to turn the radio off, but when I kicked the batter from Use to Store, everything shut down. However, now if I turn the MH on, the radio doesn't come on until I kick the battery switch back over to Use.

Is this normal? Did the previous owner wire up something crazy? Am I crazy?

Old 03-22-2018, 07:37 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
hat's actually about how things work... but I don't know why!
They tie the radio into the house batteries: be sure to run it off, before exiting the rig.
(You'll be draining your batteries; if you don't)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:40 PM   #3

THOR #10965
Hah OK. Thanks. The RV dealer told me to just leave the propane valve in the open position too, but that seems strange to me. I think we aren't seeing Spring for at least 2 more weeks here in Illinois so seems like I should close the valve if it will just be sitting in my driveway collecting bird poo for a couple weeks.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:56 PM   #4
Doc

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Colorado
THOR #10897
Bogie, the radio is tied to the house batteries so you can listen to it when you are parked without drawing the truck battery down. You can turn it off at the radio panel or, as you found, disconnect the house batteries with the store/use switch.

I usually leave my propane tank valve closed when leaving the rig, but I store it inside and I just feel safer that way. When I stored outside, I left it open.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:11 PM   #5

THOR #10965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Bogie, the radio is tied to the house batteries so you can listen to it when you are parked without drawing the truck battery down. You can turn it off at the radio panel or, as you found, disconnect the house batteries with the store/use switch.

I usually leave my propane tank valve closed when leaving the rig, but I store it inside and I just feel safer that way. When I stored outside, I left it open.
Cool, since I store outside I will just leave it open then. Hoping to get out there soon and start using the thing, but looks like a bunch of snow coming this weekend.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:23 PM   #6
Doc

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Colorado
THOR #10897
I'm in Colorado, and I'm heading out for Spring Break camping this weekend. There's something wrong with that....
Old 03-23-2018, 05:41 PM   #7

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
My radio stay on as it should being powered by the coach batteries. However, when I turn it off the volume knob stays lit and I can't get it to turn off. Maybe its for "mood" lighting
Old 03-30-2018, 05:10 PM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
The radio may be wired like most cars and light trucks today..radio and windows still work for a few minutes until you open the door.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:16 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
OK, this is probably the dumbest question ever asked, but I got my used RV home and they have a nice aftermarket radio in it, but when I turned the key off the radio was still on and the dashboard still had lights on.

Couldn't figure out how to turn the radio off, but when I kicked the batter from Use to Store, everything shut down. However, now if I turn the MH on, the radio doesn't come on until I kick the battery switch back over to Use.

Is this normal? Did the previous owner wire up something crazy? Am I crazy?
As everyone else stated the radio "should" be on coach batteries, but the memory (clock, preset memory) is normally on chassis battery (so it stays on even with STORE/USE off)

Of course things that "should" be on a THOR are not always so.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:07 PM   #10

THOR #10965
I'll give it a test and see what happens. Since it is an aftermarket radio (a nice one at least), I have no idea if they wired it properly or not.