Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2021, 10:01 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #21400
TPO roof: any more issues vs fiberglass roof?

TPO roof: any more issues vs fiberglass roof?

Windsport/hurricane uses TPO roof, but some brands use fiberglass roof. any tangible difference? how about long term, like 10 years?

Old 01-23-2021, 10:03 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Fiberglass is heavier...
But mine is a one-piece design. That just has to be good!
Old 01-24-2021, 01:05 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
In my personal opinion TPO is simply the better material. It’s lighter, cheaper, less prone to cracking, chalking or deteriorating in the sun and far easier to repair if it’s ever damaged. Given a choice I’d go with TPO over fiberglass. For many years fiberglass was the gold standard but newer products simply are better. Much like copper pipes were the gold standard for residential plumbing for decades. For quite a few years high end homes and their well to do buyers insisted on “nothing less”. But in the end, PEX is simply a better product in every way and eventually it took over entirely. Just my opinion of course.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:20 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
TPO is kind of fragile...
Old 01-24-2021, 01:45 AM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
TPO is easier for the owner to repair/patch over fiberglass.

Paul
Old 01-24-2021, 01:52 AM   #6

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
A one piece fiber glass roof, with cutouts for roof equipment, is in my opinion a better roof, though TPO is certainly not an inferior material. Both require regular inspections and re-caulking as required, but the fiberglass would in theory only fail where caulking around roof accessories is. Having had both, the fiberglass is much noisier during heavy rain, than TPO.
Old 01-24-2021, 02:19 AM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You're right about the sound of the rain...

... But I like listening to it!
Old 01-24-2021, 01:32 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
A one piece fiber glass roof, with cutouts for roof equipment, is in my opinion a better roof, though TPO is certainly not an inferior material. Both require regular inspections and re-caulking as required, but the fiberglass would in theory only fail where caulking around roof accessories is. Having had both, the fiberglass is much noisier during heavy rain, than TPO.
X2

I will also add that TPO is more susceptible to damage from low hanging tree branches.

I happen to like the sound of the rain.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:53 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I just saw an ad for these on the right-hand side of this page...

https://www.creativecomposite.com/roof-vent-collars

Does anybody have any experience with them?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:45 PM   #10

THOR #6826
My Winnebago Vista had a fiberglass roof with a stress crack in it. Won’t happen with TPO. Both are good. Get what you feel comfortable with.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:55 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I've had both... I was never comfortable with going up on the TPO roof.
I'd take my shoes off; but always felt as if I was gonna tear it somehow.

But that was just me...
Old 01-24-2021, 09:05 PM   #12

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
I am a newbie so take it with a grain of salt but I had always heard that fiberglass roofs last longer than rubber ones.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:13 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
As long as you watch those component openings: I agree.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:26 PM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
I am a newbie so take it with a grain of salt but I had always heard that fiberglass roofs last longer than rubber ones.
Your post is the only one in this thread that mentions rubber roofs. You do know that neither TPO nor fiberglass is rubber?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:34 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Actually... TPO feels kind of like rubber.
Grab a loose end, and it even stretches!
Old 01-24-2021, 10:14 PM   #16

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Your post is the only one in this thread that mentions rubber roofs. You do know that neither TPO nor fiberglass is rubber?
Stolen from another site "The term TPO stands for Thermoplastic Polyolefin. Believe it or not, TPO is actually in a broad family of rubber roofing materials. TPO is a blend of polypropylene and ethylene-propylene rubber. ... It is a synthetic rubber derived from oil and natural gas (ethylene propylene)."
Old 01-30-2021, 07:38 PM   #17

THOR #10151
Cleaning TPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
Stolen from another site "The term TPO stands for Thermoplastic Polyolefin. Believe it or not, TPO is actually in a broad family of rubber roofing materials. TPO is a blend of polypropylene and ethylene-propylene rubber. ... It is a synthetic rubber derived from oil and natural gas (ethylene propylene)."

> Be aware that when using cleaning products on TPO you need to be careful due to the 'petroleum' makeup. I was told a long time ago to use Spic and Span. Good luck finding that, Hone Depot used to carry it.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:43 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We bought bought a gallon of TPO roof cleaning "stuff" at our local Camping World...
Old 01-30-2021, 10:32 PM   #19

Brand: DRV
Model: Elite Suite 40KSSB4
State: Michigan
THOR #7004
These are all my personal experiences and reasons for Fibreglass vs. TPO roofs.
I will never have TPO again. They are prone to break down, zero minimize in sound reduction, will need to be repaired or replacing in 15-20 years no matter how well you maintain TPO roofs, side caps are TPO and prone to breakdown. Difficult to keep the roof and side caps clean. TPO will mildew on side caps if not maintained. If the TPO roof needs to be replaced for any reason air-cons, antennas, roof vents, sats etc all have to be removed. And lastly, if you happen to go under a low hanging branch it will easily rip the TPO material....warranty voided and water leaks. Your out of pocket expense can add up quickly.

I have had Fibreglass roofs on 3 DRV's and 3 Newmar fifth wheels. My reasons for Fiberglass are:
They never break down, exterior noise is dramatically minimized like heavy rain, acorns and dates dropping on the roof, very durable, very easy to keep clean, side caps are fibreglass as well, the material never breaks down, will never mildew, never replace, and lastly, if you go under a long hanging branch you will not have any damage to your roof or upper side caps and rails, only 2 seal joints to easily maintain (front and rear), fibreglass roofs are one piece.

Yes, they cost more money, and yes they are slightly heavier but they also add retail value when you go to sell/trade. Benefits out the way TPO....trust me.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:28 AM   #20

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_nicholson View Post
These are all my personal experiences and reasons for Fibreglass vs. TPO roofs.

I will never have TPO again. They are prone to break down, zero minimize in sound reduction, will need to be repaired or replacing in 15-20 years no matter how well you maintain TPO roofs, side caps are TPO and prone to breakdown. Difficult to keep the roof and side caps clean. TPO will mildew on side caps if not maintained. If the TPO roof needs to be replaced for any reason air-cons, antennas, roof vents, sats etc all have to be removed. And lastly, if you happen to go under a low hanging branch it will easily rip the TPO material....warranty voided and water leaks. Your out of pocket expense can add up quickly.

I have had Fibreglass roofs on 3 DRV's and 3 Newmar fifth wheels. My reasons for Fiberglass are:

They never break down, exterior noise is dramatically minimized like heavy rain, acorns and dates dropping on the roof, very durable, very easy to keep clean, side caps are fibreglass as well, the material never breaks down, will never mildew, never replace, and lastly, if you go under a long hanging branch you will not have any damage to your roof or upper side caps and rails, only 2 seal joints to easily maintain (front and rear), fibreglass roofs are one piece.

Yes, they cost more money, and yes they are slightly heavier but they also add retail value when you go to sell/trade. Benefits out the way TPO....trust me.

Whereas the fiberglass roof on my 2017 Winnebago had a growing stress crack at the shower skylight and was already “chalking” and deteriorating when we traded it after 14 months. I’ll opt for TPO every time. Guess that’s why there are so many options available on the market!