Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2015, 10:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1547
Transporting sewage tote with Axis

Hey All,

Since we downsized to an Axis a year ago, we have not figured out where to carry our sewage tote. With our large A we towed a pick up truck, and it always went in the bed. Just returned from camping in a state park and were lamenting how much we missed having it with us!

Before we decided to purchase our current toad, we had purchased a small hitch mounted rack for the tote, but we can't use it if we're towing. Also not feasible to put a hitch on our gas/electric C-Max to carry the rack. Not really wanting to empty the pass through for it, and not the most appealing item to carry there anyway!! What do y'all do? Any ideas would be most welcome!

Old 04-28-2015, 11:21 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
How big is the tote? Could you make a carrier for it underneath the rear (there is a lot of room underneath and next to the generator). This is where I made a storage spot for our sewer pipe:

Perhaps you could hang it from there...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:12 AM   #3

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Can you strap it to the rear ladder? I just use a15 gallon and on my ace one of the bins is large enough to get it in so I put some eyehooks and bungeed it to the bottom of the floor/roof of bay.

I think Jamie has a good idea.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:52 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
I have seen people use one of these:

To attach the tote to their roof ladder. They rest the tote on the bottom part of the bracket and bungee it to the roof ladder.

I also saw one guy that had an idea similar to JamieGeek's, but he had an elaborate mechanism that the tote sat on that swung out from under the RV.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:37 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1547
Thanks to all 3 of you for the helpful replies!

Jamie, We have a 35 gallon one left over from emptying the 37 footer's tanks! May have to consider downsizing it as well! Underneath is a possibility, but it would probably need to be a smaller tote. Also, at our age anything accessed on our knees is usually a last resort!!

293, Had been contemplating the ladder! Could probably buy a smaller one to fit the pass through,too, but not the most sanitary thing to store with our chairs and other much used items!

28Z, Hadn't seen one of those! We've been eyeing the ladder, so I will check those out today!

Thanks All for the good suggestions!
Old 05-05-2015, 01:31 AM   #6

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
IMO... the valve compartment is not convenient for stinky slinky storage. This especially true for Rhino or other less flexible options. So... I picked up a 64" storage tube from CW because it was about the same price as vinyl square post and caps that I'd then need to modify for easy use...

Mounted the passenger side by drilling 2 holes near inside of frame rail so the other end would be nearer the skirt. Also there's a frame rivet preventing the flat mount from sitting flush to the frame rail so I milled out the tube bracket to accommodate the rivet head for a flush mount.

Used existing frame holes to strap the tube up snug (no tension on grey water tube). Rubber isolator strapped to the grey tube to prevent possible vibration contact noise.

Cut just a bit of the aluminum skirt for easy access.

Very easy to extract or store a stinky slinky now!
Old 05-05-2015, 12:18 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Nice job. Looks to me that your tanks and plumbing arrangements are a little different on the 24.2 than on our 24.1 (given that your kitchen & bath are in completely different spots).
Looks like your low-point drains are right there near the waste tank drain.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:17 PM   #8

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Fortunately there was convenient spot to mount a storage tube. The low-point drains are the ONLY easy to access valves on the 24.2 (in the dump compartment)! All other valves are behind access panels and those are being modified for screw-less easy access as I get time.