Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Brands and Products > Thor Motor Coach | Class A, Class B+ & Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-03-2017, 01:03 AM   #1
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: PALAZZO 33.3
State: Illinois
Posts: 57
THOR #5696
Trickle Charger on 2 parallel batteries

I need to add a trickle charger (to use in storage) on my chassis batteries. My question is I have 2 batteries in parallel. Do I need to use two trickle chargers or 1. Because they are hooked together will 1 charger charge both batteries and how many amperes are recommended...I know if its on shoreline it should charge both in the "use" position But mine will only charge the coach batteries. NOT the chassis battery I am still stying to find out why, but in the mean time, trickle charger..
__________________

__________________
2016 Thor Palazzo 33.3 Bunkhouse
Toad-2016 Dodge Ram 1500(Hemi)
HD Ultra Classic (goes with us)
Retired Firefighter/Paramedic, Truck Driver
C WITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:18 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Whirnot's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
Posts: 266
THOR #6934
yes, both batteries in Parallel will charge from one trickle changer, it only requires a few amps, 2 to 4, any more will slowly cook the battery. The chassis battery is a separate circuit unless the emergency switch is engaged. personally I never worry about it as there are no drains.
__________________

__________________
Whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:31 AM   #3
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: PALAZZO 33.3
State: Illinois
Posts: 57
THOR #5696
Emergency switch ??
__________________
2016 Thor Palazzo 33.3 Bunkhouse
Toad-2016 Dodge Ram 1500(Hemi)
HD Ultra Classic (goes with us)
Retired Firefighter/Paramedic, Truck Driver
C WITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:51 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 24TX (2017)
State: California
Posts: 1,364
THOR #5821
A constant trickle charge is a sure way to kill batteries. Use a smart charger, or a smart battery maintainer that will float the batteries when they are fully charged.
__________________
Laco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:26 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Hooligan2's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
Posts: 353
THOR #2812
Trickle charger will see the 2 parallel batteries as one big battery, should work fine. To avoid overcharge, search- "Smart Battery Maintainer" several available. such as-
http://www.wirthco.com/documents/pro...ales_Flyer.pdf

Some RV's have an Emergency start switch which operates a relay connecting the chassis and coach batteries together as a starting boost or if one of the batteries is discharged.
__________________
U.S. Coast Guard retired- 1956-1985
Pensacola, Florida
Lily- the Pug
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:19 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
Posts: 259
THOR #9081
Sorry to hear about your charging problems. I had a 2014 Palazzo before, so hopefully I can help. Not sure if they are still using the same components in your 2016. Your problem is more than likely being caused by either the BIRD or Trombetta. Google "Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay-Diesel 2" and the PDF will give you a background. Further in the list you have lots of help. Good luck.
__________________
_____________________
2018 Four Winds 31Y
Peterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:14 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
Posts: 182
THOR #5922
solar battery tender

I am planning to store my Gemini in Palm Springs for a month (December) and I want to come back to fully charged house batteries. From this thread, it looks like I CAN "maintain" the 2 -12 volt batteries (not sure if mine are parallel or in series but saw "the charger will see them as one big battery") and for my purposes I am looking at a solar battery tender -possibly this one: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...rd/transit-350

I'm wondering if the 5 watt panel will provide enough maintenance charge? I plan to have my batteries fully charged when I drop it off at the storage facility (no electric provided but outside). I see for more $$s I can get a 10 watt or even a 15 watt model....any advice would be appreciated.
I guess my other option might be to disconnect the 2 batteries at their terminals (and hope that with no parasitic draw their charge might last 4 weeks) but I'm not that comfortable with wrenches and electricity;-)
Nancy
__________________
nmcmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:24 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Travelin' Texans's Avatar
 
Brand: Redwood
State: Texas
Posts: 1,032
THOR #3610
I have 12 volts with 2w solar panel (12"◊12") connected & will inspect at least once a month if not sooner, hopefully this will maintain 2 brand new batteries.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Sold our '13 Thor Redwood 36 FB
Currently RV & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:26 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 1,943
THOR #908
If your batteries are in reasonably decent condition
and you put them away fully charged, or as close as reasonably possible
and if you are storing cold ( I mean with everything OFF)
Then you can go longer than a month.

I do it all the time, i have disconnect switches on my battery posts (one house and one chassis). Sometimes I'll store for around 3 months or so with no problem

these lead acid batteries self discharge roughly 5% per month (very roughly)
and if you consider you don't want them to go below say 50% (seems to be the general rule of thumb), then in theory they could go nearly 10 months if completely disconnected.
Play it a good bit safer and say maybe something like 4-5 months and feel good about it...

I've learned all this the hard way from having to replace batteries in my boat and old popup camper after long storage intervals....
__________________
blw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:31 PM   #10
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 4,176
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
I am planning to store my Gemini in Palm Springs for a month (December) and I want to come back to fully charged house batteries. From this thread, it looks like I CAN "maintain" the 2 -12 volt batteries (not sure if mine are parallel or in series but saw "the charger will see them as one big battery") and for my purposes I am looking at a solar battery tender -possibly this one: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...rd/transit-350

I'm wondering if the 5 watt panel will provide enough maintenance charge? I plan to have my batteries fully charged when I drop it off at the storage facility (no electric provided but outside). I see for more $$s I can get a 10 watt or even a 15 watt model....any advice would be appreciated.
I guess my other option might be to disconnect the 2 batteries at their terminals (and hope that with no parasitic draw their charge might last 4 weeks) but I'm not that comfortable with wrenches and electricity;-)
Nancy
5 Watts may not be enough. Ay best it would put 20 to 30 watt-hours a day in the batteries depending on the Sun exposure and angle (or 2 to 3 amp hours in a 12 Volt system). That is not a lot.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:32 PM   #11
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 4,176
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
If your batteries are in reasonably decent condition
and you put them away fully charged, or as close as reasonably possible
and if you are storing cold ( I mean with everything OFF)
Then you can go longer than a month.

I do it all the time, i have disconnect switches on my battery posts (one house and one chassis). Sometimes I'll store for around 3 months or so with no problem

these lead acid batteries self discharge roughly 5% per month (very roughly)
and if you consider you don't want them to go below say 50% (seems to be the general rule of thumb), then in theory they could go nearly 10 months if completely disconnected.
Play it a good bit safer and say maybe something like 4-5 months and feel good about it...

I've learned all this the hard way from having to replace batteries in my boat and old popup camper after long storage intervals....
Except she doesn't wan to disconnect them.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:37 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 24TX (2017)
State: California
Posts: 1,364
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
I am planning to store my Gemini in Palm Springs for a month (December) and I want to come back to fully charged house batteries. From this thread, it looks like I CAN "maintain" the 2 -12 volt batteries (not sure if mine are parallel or in series but saw "the charger will see them as one big battery") and for my purposes I am looking at a solar battery tender -possibly this one: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...rd/transit-350

I'm wondering if the 5 watt panel will provide enough maintenance charge? I plan to have my batteries fully charged when I drop it off at the storage facility (no electric provided but outside). I see for more $$s I can get a 10 watt or even a 15 watt model....any advice would be appreciated.
I guess my other option might be to disconnect the 2 batteries at their terminals (and hope that with no parasitic draw their charge might last 4 weeks) but I'm not that comfortable with wrenches and electricity;-)
Nancy
Because of unknown parasitic drains, I would go for the 10 watt panels, also you will get no benefit at night or if its cloudy. Your 12 volt batteries are connected parallel so your charger, or house sees a single large 12 volt battery. A series connection would yield 24 volts. I am always more comfortable with a battery maintainer or smart charger on any of my batteries. Be sure your solar panels have a 'smart' regulator that will know when the batteries are fully charged and will 'float' the batteries in that state.
__________________
Laco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:54 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
Posts: 150
THOR #4282
I would suggest putting in a ON/OFF switch if you are not comfortable disconnecting anything. Not sure what they have for RV's but the ones on boats are great. Just a manual switch to disconnect the batteries so in the future if you want to do it again you can easily. Pretty easy to have installed.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/cat...tches/m-Series
__________________
gentilebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:19 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
Posts: 182
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Except she doesn't wan to disconnect them.
So maybe I could disconnect for this less than a month storage;-) Mine are 2 x 12 volts in parallel. -/+ -/+
Could I just disconnect the wires on the left-most negative post to isolate both batteries from the parasitic drain?
On my Gemini even in the "store" position the batteries are still connected to "something" and definitely would not last 3wks.
I see the 1st negative (with 2 wires to manage) as an easy disconnect but the far right positive seems difficult to access without touching the metal stair frame --and it has 3 wires to manage....
Nancy
__________________
nmcmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:57 AM   #15
gmc
Senior Member
 
gmc's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
Posts: 1,834
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
So maybe I could disconnect for this less than a month storage;-) Mine are 2 x 12 volts in parallel. -/+ -/+
Could I just disconnect the wires on the left-most negative post to isolate both batteries from the parasitic drain?
On my Gemini even in the "store" position the batteries are still connected to "something" and definitely would not last 3wks.
I see the 1st negative (with 2 wires to manage) as an easy disconnect but the far right positive seems difficult to access without touching the metal stair frame --and it has 3 wires to manage....
Nancy
Are there any wires attached to the right most battery's negative post other than the connection to the left battery?
If not - disconnecting the negative from the left battery is all you need to do...
If there are other wires on the right battery negative - you will need to disconnect them too (otherwise that battery could still see drain...)
No need to touch the positive side of either battery.

Pick up a disconnect from an auto parts store (knife or screw type) that goes right on the negative terminal... Makes disconnecting/reconnecting much easier.
__________________
Greg
Not yet retired...
Florida (Michigan transplant)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:53 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
Posts: 483
THOR #9522
What keywords are important in a solar battery charger to make sure it floats when full? I don't want to ruin my batteries by trickle vs. float charging? Many of the cheaper panels look like they just connect the panel output to the battery with a back flow diode and that's it? Battery Tender specifically mentions a smart controller but the cheap ones do not.

Pete
__________________
Pete and Carolynn Foss from Oxford, MI
2018 Four Winds 31W
1999 Aero Cub F-21 trailer
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:17 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
TurnerFam's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.3 34'bunkhouse
State: Alabama
Posts: 2,176
THOR #4735
as for the OP, the Palazzo coach - I assume you are referring to your two CHASSIS batteries, both 12v and yes, in parallel, which is 12v output, just like my '14.

I've never had any issue, whether while parked for months at a time in a Florida rv park, while traveling, or while the coach is in storage, with the charge status of the CHASSIS batteries - my coach has never had any issues with starting.

I imagine that Thor did not deviate much on the type of charging system within these coach relative to the '14 and '16 model, and would assume that your BIRD and 12v D.C. Continuous Coil relay works just like mine - when it senses the House batteries are at a certain level, it also provides charge voltage to the CHASSIS batteries, and vice versa when you are driving and the Alternator can provide charging to the House batteries.


While on shore power, the BIRD should eventually provide the Chassis batteries any charge they need, as well as when on the generator. If you have any SOLAR, that output would go directly to your HOUSE batteries, but I suppose that the BIRD is still in play, IF the Use/Store switch is NOT in STORE mode, since that defeats most of the 12v systems in the coach, probably including the 12v D.C. Continuous coils, for both the BIRD and the AUX 'Emergency' manual switch(on your dash), which also manually allows for tying the two battery banks together, to start either the engine, the generator, or if the slides or jacks need 'extra' power.

so...if you have a trickle charger, or solar, for your House batteries, and you have your switch in 'USE' mode, then you should have extra volts going to your CHASSIS battery bank when it is available.
__________________
the Turners
'14 Palazzo 33.3 bunkhouse 34' diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish HD, 100w/5a SOLAR, BlueOx
100,000+mi since '14 - US, Alaska, Canada - Hiawassee, GA! (also, '14 Gulfstream Amerilite and '07 ForestRiver Rockwood) : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:25 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
Posts: 483
THOR #9522
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
as for the OP, the Palazzo coach - I assume you are referring to your two CHASSIS batteries, both 12v and yes, in parallel, which is 12v output, just like my '14.

I've never had any issue, whether while parked for months at a time in a Florida rv park, while traveling, or while the coach is in storage, with the charge status of the CHASSIS batteries - my coach has never had any issues with starting.

I imagine that Thor did not deviate much on the type of charging system within these coach relative to the '14 and '16 model, and would assume that your BIRD and 12v D.C. Continuous Coil relay works just like mine - when it senses the House batteries are at a certain level, it also provides charge voltage to the CHASSIS batteries, and vice versa when you are driving and the Alternator can provide charging to the House batteries.


While on shore power, the BIRD should eventually provide the Chassis batteries any charge they need, as well as when on the generator. If you have any SOLAR, that output would go directly to your HOUSE batteries, but I suppose that the BIRD is still in play, IF the Use/Store switch is NOT in STORE mode, since that defeats most of the 12v systems in the coach, probably including the 12v D.C. Continuous coils, for both the BIRD and the AUX 'Emergency' manual switch(on your dash), which also manually allows for tying the two battery banks together, to start either the engine, the generator, or if the slides or jacks need 'extra' power.

so...if you have a trickle charger, or solar, for your House batteries, and you have your switch in 'USE' mode, then you should have extra volts going to your CHASSIS battery bank when it is available.
The lack of chassis charge from shore power in my 31W is exactly why I'm thinking solar for the chassis maintenance. The alternative is a small AC maintainer plugged into the coach feeding the always live cig lighter socket on the dash. That maintains everything provided I'm plugged in.
__________________
Pete and Carolynn Foss from Oxford, MI
2018 Four Winds 31W
1999 Aero Cub F-21 trailer
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:08 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 13,478
THOR #8860
"Battery Maintainers"?'
One Word: Deltran!
__________________

__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
"Nobody helps him. Now he has his revenge"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×