Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2020, 10:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: windsport hurricane 34f
State: Tennessee
THOR #9067
Truck stop gasoline

is it just me or does anyone else have a problem getting gasoline at a truck stop? The wide area for trucks and busses only have diesel.so my 36 foot long rig with a 18 foot long jeep or trailer has to try to maneuver through a maze of angled pumps set up to get as many cars fueled at the same time as they can.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:06 PM   #2

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepz View Post
is it just me or does anyone else have a problem getting gasoline at a truck stop? The wide area for trucks and busses only have diesel.so my 36 foot long rig with a 18 foot long jeep or trailer has to try to maneuver through a maze of angled pumps set up to get as many cars fueled at the same time as they can.

I live NW of Houston. The truck stops near my house all have gas.

Where are you seeing this issue?
Old 05-16-2020, 10:24 PM   #3

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Some if not most of the Flying J's and some Pilot's have a couple of pumps off to the side where you can pull thru and gas up.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:24 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
With all of the filling stations in this Country: they can't all be as bad as you're saying...
Old 05-16-2020, 10:25 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
Whenever possible - hit the gas lanes at "true" truck stops. Flying J, Love's, some Pilots, Sheetz, etc. Even though the "truck" lanes are all diesel, you'll often find that there's more room on the gas lanes for maneuverability.

Many Flying J's and Pilots have dedicated RV lanes, which also sometimes include dump stations. You may have to wait in line though.

"There's an app for that".
Old 05-16-2020, 10:27 PM   #6

Model: windsport hurricane 34f
State: Tennessee
THOR #9067
Every truck stop in tn that ive been to,saw a sigh last nite that said trucks busses an rv's,pulled to the truck side and no gas,had to go to the frt and the had 12 pumps all angled for hard approach and to exit had to make 2 extreme turns,had to back up a bit to clear the curb
Old 05-16-2020, 10:30 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
He/She's talking about maneuvering among the gas-only pumps at a lot of truck stops. I'm 53' long with my towed.

The best thing you can do for yourself is use a slow approach and look for a place to make a U-turn if the whole situation becomes a no-go.

The next thing is to find an end-island and evaluate your way out. I've found the left side is usually more open than the right but that's not always true. It's just first on my radar.

If there's enough room between islands, take a wide approach but beware your angle as your toad could clip the protective rails if it's too sharp a turn to make your out. Approach the island and always pick the pump closest to the storefront. Turn the rig toward the island as you make your approach so the nose of the rig is slightly turned toward the way out. Line up the fuel tank inlet with pump.

The only problem I've found with this method is if it's really tight and cars line up in front of the store. At that point, I have to exercise patience and wait for them to leave. If it's too bad, I usually start to pull out to use up the space and wait for the next one. People eventually get the hint and let you get out. That said, I've only had to that once.

The further you get into the northeast, the worse it gets. That part of the country caters to the daily commuter and getting something 53' long into those places is just about impossible and if you accidentally find yourself in a bad spot, plan on unhooking and rehooking the towed. The east coast from Maryland on up is the absolute worst.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:45 AM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I agree with most of what Breeze said. In a tight station, I prefer the outside pumps, preferably the one on the outside left facing the store. Then I am already headed out when I go to leave. Not unusual to have to wait for some dope to come back out from the store with a soda and a handfull of food..

Sometimes there is a station across the street from the truck stop that is almost deserted and easy to get in and out of. Gas price may be a couple cents more, but consider that extra couple bucks the cost of convenience.

My best advice is to fill with gas in the evening before you settle down. That way we avoid the morning rush at the gas stations. We also try to plan our overnights so that we are on the far side of cities, so in the morning we are driving against the morning rush.