Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Brands and Products > Thor Motor Coach | Class A, Class B+ & Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2020, 05:22 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #3340
Mine is under the dash - or thru the hood . I’ll have to figure something else out I guess.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:22 PM   #22

State: Iowa
THOR #18773
Update: After it sat for 4 days at my house without turning the switch off, it was completely dead. This was a new battery installed by the dealer and the coach was plugged in to 30 amp power the whole time. I had to have a mechanic come an pull the battery, re charge it and put it back. It is a big hassle and as a woman traveling alone, I don't like the idea of going out, removing the hood,and reaching into the engine just to start it up. It must also be connected to raise and lower the electric shade. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow but several helpful guys have suggested that I have the switch run to the dash so I could turn it off and on from inside. Has anyone done that?
Something is obviously causing a drain on it. Thank you for all your help.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:12 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenMN View Post
Update: After it sat for 4 days at my house without turning the switch off, it was completely dead. This was a new battery installed by the dealer and the coach was plugged in to 30 amp power the whole time. I had to have a mechanic come an pull the battery, re charge it and put it back. It is a big hassle and as a woman traveling alone, I don't like the idea of going out, removing the hood,and reaching into the engine just to start it up. It must also be connected to raise and lower the electric shade. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow but several helpful guys have suggested that I have the switch run to the dash so I could turn it off and on from inside. Has anyone done that?
You can have them install the switch anywhere that is convenient, but as I stated before the switch should be an option, nice to have. You have another problem that should get fixed.

To help your peace of mine, I suggest you focus your energy on finding out why you could only go 4 days before battery went dead.

Tomorrow tell or ask your dealer this.

1) Why is my Charger NOT charging my batteries when connected to shore power?

He will likely ask did you have in USE mode? If you don't know the answer that may be your problem. You may need a quick orientation on how to use the Use / Store switch.

If you can confirm you had in Use mode, there is issue that they must fix. Get that fixed first. When fixed you you be able to go 5 years if plugged in shorepower and in Use Mode.

For later (if you pursue the nice to have option)

If you ever need to park someplace where you don't have plug in shore power and plan to leave RV for a few weeks or more, it is nice to have that switch to disconnect the battery.
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:49 PM   #24

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
Iím on my fifth motorhome and never had a problem letting any of them set a month or so and not disconnecting the chassis battery.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:32 AM   #25

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueasher1@netzero.net View Post
Mine is under the dash - or thru the hood . Iíll have to figure something else out I guess.
The problem with doing that is you are routinely allowing your starting battery to bleed down below 11.8v. While the deep discharge house batteries are designed to do that dozens of times and still come back to close to full power when recharged, starting batteries are not designed to take that abuse and it will quickly be ruined - maybe even within a dozen deep discharges - and you will have to replace it.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:37 AM   #26
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenMN View Post
That is an ABNORMAL situation. As others have pointed out:

1 - Your chassis battery should be able to go months without being plugged in and still be able to start the vehicle - just like a car battery.
2 - When plugged in your Vegas is designed to charge both the house batteries and the chassis battery if your USE/STORE switch is in USE.

Since your "technician" recommended you "should turn off the engine battery whenever I'm stopped for any length of time, even if I have shore power" he probably recognized the coach had an issue and was just trying to get you out the door. Your brother-in-law was RIGHT to be skeptical.

They need to make the RV work the way it is supposed to. They need to load test the chassis battery as it is probably toast if it has been drained like this several times.
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:59 AM   #27

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
I would suggest you document by date/time from the moment the issue with battery was first noted, what they said, and/or attempted to repair up to current.

I assume you bought the coach used from the same Dealer? If so; was any kind of warranty offered, or was it "As is"? Sometimes you get at least 30 days, so don't let that time expire without getting something in writing.

If you don't get a clean response tomorrow, I would go to Service Manager or GM of Dealership.

Hang in there because once this issue is fixed, you should not have to worry about a Engine cut off switch, (unless you just want to have a nice to have the thing) or use of Emergency start (unless you have true Emergency like leaving lights on all night that drain the engine battery.)

Good luck and keep us posted.
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:48 PM   #28

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
I can go a month and I still read 12.1. At that point I run the recommended monthly generator cycle.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:31 PM   #29

State: Ohio
THOR #12726
For long term storage probably isn't a bad idea but I wouldn't shut off the batteries as the engine depending on what engine could throw a check engine light and have to re learn idle and shift points
Old 05-27-2020, 08:22 PM   #30

State: Iowa
THOR #18773
Further Update

A local repair place is looking at it. There is a 30 day warranty but the dealer is 2 1/2 hours from me so they agreed to having it fixed locally. The first thing they found was that the heated mirrors were wired to the battery and on constantly! They have fixed that . They also found that the slide is wired to the engine, not the house batteries. The dealer is checking with Thor and will work directly with the repair place.

Tags
enginebattery, vegas