Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2017, 03:28 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Indiana
THOR #8247
Need direction

I'm new to the forum. My husband and I are also very new to rving. In 2016 we bought a Leisure Travel Van Unity twin bed. We loved it, but discovered that we needed more room since we would be staying in our rv for all of our spring, summer and part of the fall season. So we sold it, and bought a 2017Winnebago Navion in Match because it has a slide with a corner bed and is wide open. Needless to say that we were trying to stay with the Mercedeces Chassis because of its amazing pick up and go especially in the mountains and we got around 18 miles per gallon with it. But STILL too small. We are going to lose our butts selling this one I'm sure! So we don't want to make another mistake! We looked at the Challenger 37KT. Very different lay out, but really liked it. Also looked at the ACE 30.4 and thought that was ok. And we looked at the Miramars and loved those also. Does anyone have the Challenger 37 KT? We'd love to know how all of you feel about them. Any others to consider? We need hanging wardrobe space and my husband loves his alone time in a seperated area. Thanks

Old 07-09-2017, 03:51 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Check out Forest River. FR3 and Georgetown GT3 / GTA as well.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:07 AM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
A number of challenger owners here...
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...nger-3173.html
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:18 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
First, how big are you willing to go? Where will you park or store a bigger coach? Maybe a compromise between your current rig and a Challenger would be a smaller class A such as a Hurricane/Windsport. RVing has a steep learning curve as you are certainly finding out the hard way.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:41 AM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
old saying...buy your last RV first..... go ahead and get that Prevost bus conversion.

just kidding!
Old 07-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #6

THOR #8247
Thanks for all the replies. And "Super D" we are not sure how large we're willing to go. We really never considered something as big as a Challenger. We always thought of something smaller and zippier. But living full time in something smaller and zippier doesn't seem to be working out for full time living. We own a piece of property that we will be building on. A small loft, garage and rv bay to pull into to stay there and live in the rv during the winter months. We'll pull out maybe twice to go for a couple of one week vacations during the winter. Right now we're living in a beautiful campground right on a lake. But we can only stay here until October each year. Our daughter and her husband and my grand baby live here. My husband just retired (young, we're both 52) and I'm keeping my office open two days a week. Tuesday and Wednesday. We're afraid of both going too big and then again not going big enough again!!! We've had two rv's already going in a year and a half! What about the ACE Model? We really liked the layout and size when we looked at it but not sure about the quality.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:32 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Marie View Post
Thanks for all the replies. And "Super D" we are not sure how large we're willing to go. We really never considered something as big as a Challenger. We always thought of something smaller and zippier. But living full time in something smaller and zippier doesn't seem to be working out for full time living. We own a piece of property that we will be building on. A small loft, garage and rv bay to pull into to stay there and live in the rv during the winter months. We'll pull out maybe twice to go for a couple of one week vacations during the winter. Right now we're living in a beautiful campground right on a lake. But we can only stay here until October each year. Our daughter and her husband and my grand baby live here. My husband just retired (young, we're both 52) and I'm keeping my office open two days a week. Tuesday and Wednesday. We're afraid of both going too big and then again not going big enough again!!! We've had two rv's already going in a year and a half!
Sounds like a challenging decision. We used to live in Fort Wayne, my wife is from Muncie, so I understand why the campground closes in October!
Old 07-09-2017, 12:44 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Marie View Post
Thanks for all the replies. And "Super D" we are not sure how large we're willing to go. We really never considered something as big as a Challenger. We always thought of something smaller and zippier. But living full time in something smaller and zippier doesn't seem to be working out for full time living. We own a piece of property that we will be building on. A small loft, garage and rv bay to pull into to stay there and live in the rv during the winter months. We'll pull out maybe twice to go for a couple of one week vacations during the winter. Right now we're living in a beautiful campground right on a lake. But we can only stay here until October each year. Our daughter and her husband and my grand baby live here. My husband just retired (young, we're both 52) and I'm keeping my office open two days a week. Tuesday and Wednesday. We're afraid of both going too big and then again not going big enough again!!! We've had two rv's already going in a year and a half!

It sounds to me like you are in to big of a hurry when you are purchasing your RV's.
Slow down!! Rome wasn't built in a day, and you certainly don't need to jump into another RV that doesn't fit the needs.
Depending on how big your wallets are will be a determining factor.
Spend some time looking over as many different makes, models, and sizes as you can. Don't limit yourself. You have a place to live now, so it's not like it's a necessity to get it done today.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:13 PM   #9

THOR #8247
Thanks. I guess that's one of our problems. We sold our house, and we won't start building until next summer so this is it. RV living. We will see if we can find a rental in October until next spring. There is a beautiful facility to store what we have here right now.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:43 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Going from a diesel C on a Sprinter chassis to a gasser A on a F523 chassis will be a major change in road time experience. We love our ACE but realize there is more to making this change than the "hotel" layout.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:34 PM   #11

THOR #8247
So, take our time, consider all the options including a midsize class A to begin with possibly, there is a big learning curve, and driving down the road will change a lot going from a class c Mercedes sprinter to a class A gas. Lots to think about. Thanks a lot and any other advice on the rv's that all of you have and what you love about them.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:03 PM   #12

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
I keep pointing people to rvusa to look at floor plans. That way you aren't wasting time & going nuts walking thru dozens of rv's. Some of our must haves were front facing kitchen sink,bathroom door that did not open right into the refrigerator, cab over entertainment center (C Class), dinette across from couch to name a few.
Good luck making a decision!

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/specs-guide
Old 07-09-2017, 03:11 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Another point to remember------
I have never seen any RV that was/is labeled "a need".
They're all "wants".