Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2015, 06:14 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Floorplan options you'd like to see

If it were possible to request optional floorplans, what would you like to see offered?

I would personally like to see an Axis similar to one depicted below. Perhaps with option to replace the couch with a narrow dinette the width of the bathroom to keep the aisle a little wider than that of 25.3, and to offer forward-facing seating. With proper software I would have cut-and-pasted the 25.3's dinette over the couch.

I'm curious what kind of changes others would request if it were possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	774  

Old 09-11-2015, 06:51 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I'm completely opposite LOL. I'd like to see a 2 slide Axis/Vegas with either a couch or dinette slideout up front (like the 24.1 or 25.1 has) in addition to a bed slideout in the rear (like the 25.3). In fact, if the 25.3 had the dinette slide out that would be ideal.
Like this:
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:00 PM   #3

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Chance,

I like your idea of asking owners for ideas, but I am not good with computer drafting.

We have had our 2016 Vegas 24.1 for 3 1/2 months and have gone on three camping trips. The kids have moved on, so just the wife and I.

What we have noticed is that with the double beds converted to one "King Bed" you get a huge 92"(side to side) X 75"(front to back) Bed. That is a huge sleeping area. According to Google a King is 76"X80" and a Queen is 60"X80"...so what we have is called a "California King" and hard/expensive to find sheets for.

So my idea for "THE RETIRED COUPLE SETUP":
Reduce the Sleeping Area to a "Long Queen" of 92"(side to side) X 60" (front to back). The 16" removed from the Sleeping area can then be added to the shower and the bathroom area on one side and the wardrobe or a pull out pantry in the kitchen on the other. Get rid of the couch and put in two swivel full recliners (with seatbelts) with a center console or a removable shared table between the two.

Since we are wishing here: Also, have a 3/4" or 1" PVC pipe place in/on the wall panels running full length on both sides and then across the back side with two or three "T" type screwed capped openings on all three walls accessible from within the various cabinets for user installed options. I have run some HDMI cables for the TV's and it requires removing microwave, removing drawers, drilling holes, ect...much more work than it should!

Dream On!

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:49 PM   #4

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I'm completely opposite LOL. I'd like to see a 2 slide Axis/Vegas with either a couch or dinette slideout up front (like the 24.1 or 25.1 has) in addition to a bed slideout in the rear (like the 25.3). In fact, if the 25.3 had the dinette slide out that would be ideal.
Like this:
Jamie, how many people do you normally travel with? DocMike brought up a good point about traveling as a couple versus with children -- or other adults for that matter. Space requirements for traffic flow is probably very different. I wonder to what degree that affects our floorplan preferences.

Our sizes may also affect our needs. My wife and I not only travel alone normally, but can pass each other easily on a narrow aisle. Added space may not have the same value as it does to others.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:12 PM   #5

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post

....cut..... Get rid of the couch and put in two swivel full recliners (with seatbelts) with a center console or a removable shared table between the two.

.....cut.....
This sounds similar to chairs on passenger side of 24.2 model.

Your idea reminded me that decades ago it wasn't all that uncommon for some motorhomes to have dinettes that not only folded flat for sleeping, but the front bench would flip (versus swivel) to allow up to four people to sit facing forward during travel. When front bench was flipped to face backwards with table in up position it could be used for eating, playing cards, etc... I think there is a European company that may be making something similar but with added safety features to meet auto standards (like shoulder harnesses). And they are expensive.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:26 PM   #6

THOR #2142
Chance,

My daughter in law gets motion sickness unless facing forward (usually gets "shotgun" seat). Also it would be nice to drive with 4 forward facing seats when the occasion calls for it (driving to football game tailgating with another couple).

The swivel recliner with a seatbelt would allow for a great "nap" while the DW tags off and drives for an hour or so. I saw someone's conversion here on the Forum and one of the CW catalogs had non-swivel recliners with a console that looked neat.

Just dreaming for the first year (do not want to do anything big that might void the warranty).

Doc

Old 09-12-2015, 01:38 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Chance,
We are a family of three: My wife, myself and our teenage son. With our 24.1 on a rainy day it gets a bit tight in there when everyone wants a place to stretch out and relax. We figure in a few years he'll be gone and we'll have the camper to ourselves . Until that point, though, we make do and pitch a tent when he insists on bringing friends.

Our previous 31ft 5th wheel had the typical long slide with couch and dinette. Floorplan:

With that slide out there was a ton of room to walk around. Many times we'd bring an outside chair in to have an extra seat.

Thus, to us, the 24.1 feels a bit cramped (not saying we don't like it--we love it).
Old 09-12-2015, 01:50 AM   #8

THOR #2142
Wow,

That is a lot of space! If the boys were still young and at home I can see the need and the use of all that room.

Our youngest did go one weekend with us, he got the overhead bed and really enjoyed it. With the passanger seat turned around we had ample seating for the three...as long as only one of the Labs wanted on the couch .

Old 09-12-2015, 02:55 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
I would like to see the dinette be able to convert into a recliner(s) forget about that being a bed.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:37 PM   #10

THOR #2142
Pete,
The couch to bed thing reminds me of my ol Erecter Set I had as a kid...took a lot of time and effort to ever get something built - then you had to take it apart.

So it is when one transforms the couch to a bed (plus inflate the mattress) then get up in the morning and take it all apart. Our salesman attempted to demonstrate then told us there was a Video on it.

Also, at this point in time...I can easily fall to sleep in a recliner or on a couch.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:29 PM   #11

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Chance,
We are a family of three: My wife, myself and our teenage son. With our 24.1 on a rainy day it gets a bit tight in there when everyone wants a place to stretch out and relax. We figure in a few years he'll be gone and we'll have the camper to ourselves . Until that point, though, we make do and pitch a tent when he insists on bringing friends.

....cut....
Did you consider the 25.1 with the rear lounge area? My wife and I both like that second living area that seems ideal for when occasionally traveling with family, but don't like having to compromise the function of the primary bed so much.

If they made that rear area a lounge but with overhead drop-down "real" bed(s), then it may work better. In the last few years beds that drop down or swing down like Murphy beds have been used to double-up an area. If an area of the RV can have two or more functions then the rest of RV will feel more spacious for a given size.

Permanent beds that can be left made up but elevate out of the way to free up space below during the day have a lot more appeal to me. Like the front bunk over driver and passenger, it's out of way when up. Why not same with larger bed in rear?
Old 09-12-2015, 04:43 PM   #12

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by petef View Post
I would like to see the dinette be able to convert into a recliner(s) forget about that being a bed.
We have occasionally used a dinette as a secondary bed for children and for guests for many years without any issues.

The dinettes have always been 38 to 39 inches wide and made into a comfortable single bed. Two adults won't ever be comfortable on a dinette so making them wider is a waste of aisle width in my opinion. On our latest 3-week-long trip I brought along a 2-inch-thick memory foam topper that we placed over cushions once bed was made up (I'm convinced cushions have to be set a certain way to work best). I didn't sleep there but was told it was very comfortable. I think it was better than the Jack-Knife couch (also had a foam topper) which wasn't as smooth on top.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:49 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Did you consider the 25.1 with the rear lounge area? My wife and I both like that second living area that seems ideal for when occasionally traveling with family, but don't like having to compromise the function of the primary bed so much.
We couldn't: When we picked up our 24.1 (Feb 2014) there was only 1 floorplan available for the Axis/Vegas units. Had we waited a year we may have.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:13 PM   #14

THOR #2121
One minor upgrade I'd like to see Thor offer as an option is a kitchen with flush mounted stove and sink (whatever they are called). Cost can't be that much higher, and for us two burners is more than enough. We rarely even use one eye. And the flush glass would add to counter space when not using the stove (most of the time for us).

Most important, the smaller stove and sink allows for a slight reduction in counter depth, which should transfer directly to a wider aisle. And there a few inches makes a big difference. These are pretty much required in smaller Class Bs, but would save space in a Class A also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	776