Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2019, 08:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Exclamation PALAZZO - shoring up kitchen drawers : )

Hi

We've owned our '14 Palazzo 33.3 bunkhouse for almost 5 years, and traveled over 95,000 miles now...and I'm just now getting to 'see 'bout fixin' those drooping kitchen drawers...
The drawers have always 'worked', but you could tell that something was not quite 'right', and the drawer fronts were somewhat slanted, the bottom out when the top closed, though I also chalked that up to a 'factory install' in order to help keep them closed while traveling...(good thought)....not.

What I found when taking out all the drawers is that the right side has no 'foundation' for the rear of the drawer 'frame', which is really the only thing that holds the drawer slides attached to the frame itself. It's basically a 'floating' frame on the bottom right corner.

I asked myself 'why' the factory would design this to be built this way, as it's for sure that no one with 'normal' understanding of building cabinets and drawers would certainly build one without a base to 'hold' the rear of the drawers, at least on the right side.
My only belief is that since the kitchen is in the main slide, where the drawers are mounted under the kitchen counter, and many water, drain, electrical, cable, and 12v wires run thru this 'cavity' in order to exit down thru the slide's 'bag', which is the transition to the basement/water bay areas, the factory felt that any 'mount' for the drawer frame might 'interfere' with the movement of the lines and wires. Since the slide 'moves', all these lines and wires will ultimately have to have a somewhat 'flexible' cavity so that they have the area to move slightly as the slide moves.

While this seems plausible, the reality, at least on our 33.3 design, is that NONE of these lines and wires are impacted to any great degree by the slide's movement, whether all the way IN, or OUT. Matter of fact, when you look under the drawers, the only real difference in either situation is where the actual lines and wire bundle 'sits' when the slide is IN or OUT. When IN, the bundle is all the way toward the REAR of the drawer cabinet, and when OUT, the bundle is all the way toward the FRONT.
So, the question is 'why' no foundation for the right rear drawer frame??

None that I know of.

So, I built my own simple 5 1/2 wood 'blocks' to prop up the rear frame in two places - the middle and the right end. It works great, neither of the slide movement directions impact the lines and wires whatsoever, and now the drawers are all actually LEVEL, as they should be. Nice. Easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide mount.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	17470   Click image for larger version

Name:	slide 2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	17471  

TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:46 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
Our 2018 Palazzo 33.2 and a whole bunch of other folks with 33.2 and 33.3 with same issue and various degrees of problems and creative solutions. None of us could figure out why it was done this way since doing it right would take almost no effort...
I sent a bunch of pictures to Thor with detailed writeup and got the obligatory, "we'll pass it on to our QA folks..."