Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2014, 02:43 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds Hurricane 33T
State: Florida
THOR #484
Getting cold tomorrow night in Florida

I have a 2010 Thor Hurricane 33T that is kept in covered storage. Normally, winterizing is not an issue here in Northwest Florida (Pensacola). Temperatures are supposed to drop to 16 degrees F tomorrow night. It gets that cold maybe once every 15 years here, and I'm not sure what I need to put anti-freeze in. My gut tells me to empty the fresh water tank completely. It also tells me I need to put anti-freeze in the black and gray tanks, because I must leave liquids in them. Can anyone provide further guidance on any measures I need to take to protect my RV tomorrow night? Thanks for your assistance.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:26 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
If your not using it I would winterize it. That means dump the grey tank and black tank if you can, if not put a little of the pink stuff in them (rv antifreeze is usually available at Wal-Mart). Drain your fresh tank and leave empty. Do you have a kit for wintering? I would pump pink stuff through all your lines until it runs out every faucet (drain and bypass water heater leaving it empty). It usually takes 2-3 gallons max to do everything on my trailer. Don't forget the outside shower if you have one. Or if you have an air compressor you can blow the lines out instead of using the pink stuff. An adapter for your compressor is usually available at Wal-Mart or any rv store. Not positive of max psi but I think it is around 40psi... someone who uses this method can better help you. Good luck and try to stay warm..... It will only be 9 degrees here in nc on Tuesday. Glad we have the pink stuff already in ours.
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
If it's an option, you could consider running heat in your rig for that day or two of extreme low temps, provided you have the enclosed underbelly and what is referred to as "heated tanks/underbelly.
Other wise I think you will have to at least drain the water and blow the lines out. This is what is used for that along with an air compressor set at 40to45#
Blow-out Plug - Camco 36104 - Winterizing - Camping World
If you have liquids in the holding tanks and can't dump them, then you better pour a few gallons of RV anti freeze in each one. Amount you pour in will be determined by how much liquid is in the tanks.
Good luck.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #4

Model: Palazzo 33.2
THOR #547
If you have a water filter installed and it's in an outside bay, be sure and remove the filter and dump it out, then blow the lines. If you're using pink stuff, it will fill the cartridge holder unless you have a way of bypassing it - seems I've read that there is a kit available for that.

I wish I knew how much antifreeze you'd need to be safe - there may be something printed on the jug about what percentage will give what freeze protection (threw my jugs away).
2014 Thor Tuscany XTE 40GQ
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:23 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds Hurricane 33T
State: Florida
THOR #484
Getting cold tomorrow night in Florida

Thanks for the responses and replies. Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Temperatures are back to their normal 60 degree high now. I ended draining the fresh water tank, then using a pump to pump anti-freeze through all the lines (kitchen sink, bathroom vanity, shower, and outside shower) until the pink anti-freeze was coming out the faucets. I pulled the plug and drained the hot water heater, and then put a gallon of anti-freeze into the black and gray tanks. I left the gray tank empty except for the anti-freeze. I also turned on the furnace and left it set at the lowest setting, which is 55 degrees. Anybody got any idea how much propane gas that furnace burns? The tank has an 88 pound capacity. Don't know how many gallons that is, although it probably is about 11 gallons if propane weighs what gasoline weighs. Not sure how long it will last with the furnace turned on. I'm not going to undo anything I've done to winterize it until I'm ready to camp again. In any event, I hope I got it right. Thanks again for your assistance. I'm new at this, having purchased the motor coach this past August.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Sounds like you have the situation taken care of.

Another thought, if you don't have your RV plugged into electric, the furnace will kill your batteries in a hurry.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:31 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Model: Zinger ZT26BL
THOR #91
If you ran the pink stuff then you don't need to run the heater too. You should be fine with just antifreeze.
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:43 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite 30 FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #6012
heated and enclosed underbelly

Lloyd, I assume that when you reference this that all the wiring and plumbing are not explosed and may consider this option for a unit for 4 season camping. Please explain further for me.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #9

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
19degrees here this morning in ShootingCreek, Hayesville NC (western NC mountains right above the GA line)...
I just have a couple of temperature controlled electric heaters that come on at freezing temps in the coach and in the wet bay... no problems... but I'm on 50a service next to my cabin, of course.

we had ice on the INSIDE of our cabin windows this morning.....bbrrrrr!!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 01:37 AM   #10

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
My conversion table says propane weighs 4.24 pounds per gallon, so your 88 pound tank should hold close to 19 or 20 gallons when full.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:01 AM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
19degrees here this morning in ShootingCreek, Hayesville NC (western NC mountains right above the GA line)...
I just have a couple of temperature controlled electric heaters that come on at freezing temps in the coach and in the wet bay... no problems... but I'm on 50a service next to my cabin, of course.

we had ice on the INSIDE of our cabin windows this morning.....bbrrrrr!!
WOW almost sounds like you MH is warmer than the cabin... crank up that heat and enjoy the great out doors....